Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)
  • Superbowl Sunday
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I thought they were.

Me too

😕

Kuco

Well I cant abide Ben Roethlisberger so going for the Packers.

I’ll agree with that the blokes a muppet.

Hadge
    Free Member

Couldn’t agree more Kuco – the blokes a total muppet.

rOcKeTdOg

i’m hoping for a classic game of smash mouth football, big hits on defense and a close game, could just get it with these too teams. i will be up all night, buying suoerbowl snacks tomorrow and booked monday off work to recover!

southernsteel
    Free Member

How is everyone watching it? On the BBC or sky? I’ve been watching on the latter since I started watching it so I feel like I should have som loyalty towards them but I do love Jake and the beeb.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

BBC in glorious HD for me.

Rocketdog, what’s your stay-awake strategy? I have a reasonably busy day ahead – the kind after which I’m bound to want to sleep.

Espresso? Pre-match snooze?

trailmonkey

I love to watch it when it’s edited down to the hour or so of playing time. Pound for pound, surely the greatest athletes in world sport ?

Tiny attention span means that I can’t watch a live game.

Let me know who wins tomorrow a.m.

RustySpanner

Anyone recommend a handy, beginners guide to rules and strategy?

Fancy giving it a go as not working ’till late tomorrow, but not up on the finer points of tactics, infringements etc.

Sure I’d enjoy more it if I was a bit more up to speed.

trailmonkey

You’ve got 4 goes to move the ball 10 yards. If you do, you get another 4 goes to move another 10 yards. If you don’t, you hand the ball over.
    The aim is to get the ball into the opposition’s end zone ( behind the try line )and score a touch down.
    To move the ball you can run with it or pass it forward once ( you can pass it back more if you want to ).
    All the chaos that you see is one team trying to get to the ball and the other team trying to stop them.
    There are also field goals which are like pens in rugby.

Kuco

I just hope they let them play rather than flagging everything.

momo

Packers for me as a long time fan (I have family in Wisconsin and have spent quite a lot of time there over the years)

chojin
    Free Member

Anyone know how the dolphins did this year?

Kuco

Crap 7-9

CaptJon
    Free Member

Stage one of super bowl prep in underway. One Texas BBQ pizza has been ordered.

Anyone going for a tactical nap before it kicks off?

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

fun way to learn the game

or

American football in a nutshell

I normally take a pre-game nap, but i’m far too nervous!

Steelers fan since 1984 and counting!

rOcKeTdOg

beer-check
    chips (crisps 😉 )-check
    snooze-after tea check

excited!

is this gonna be the official NFL fans thread for later?

deadlydarcy – Member
    BBC in glorious HD for me.

Rocketdog, what’s your stay-awake strategy? I have a reasonably busy day ahead – the kind after which I’m bound to want to sleep.

snooze, been for a ride, eaten lots of cake as it’s my birthday at midnight so should be able to get a few winks

BBC for me hoping carlson is punditing as he did in the playoffs, as a Redskins fan (*waves fist at Dan Snyder*) i’m completely neutral but my dad is a big packers fan and i’d like Aaron Rogers to get a ring and come out of the shadow of Farve so may root for them

Kuco

I wish sky sports would dump Halling and get Carlson.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

is this gonna be the official NFL fans thread for later?

I’ll pop in from time to time, won’t be going on nfluk, as it’s full of Ben/Steel hate!

I even had a ticket for Superbash down at the O2 but the logistics of it beat me this year, cosied up in Dudley, core bait it! lol!

Kuco

it’s full of Ben/Steel hate!

That be me here 😉

grahamh
    Free Member

Will there be a half time ‘wardrobe malfunction’ this year??

rOcKeTdOg

only in my house

Cougar

Been away for the weekend, just got back. Cheers for the heads-up.

I’m torn on this; used to watch it religiously when I was younger but it’s on pretty late on a school night and I’m struggling to think of two teams I could be less enthusiastic about seeing. Might watch the first hour or something.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What time is kick off?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m going to try to take a nap before the game so I can stay up – after I assemble my road bike.

Mrs grips is not well tho so she might miss it 🙁

Anyway American Football evolved contemporaneously with the other varieties afaik. As you will know every town or village had its own variation of the ancient game known as football, this was also true of those very old public schools (Rugby being one). The FA was formed to create formal rules so that teams could play each other without arguing, but it was not the only set of rules being codified. The same thing was happening at Harvard (I think) and various other places, which is why we have so many variations. They are all pretty much as old as each other and I don’t think any one of the modern codes is specifically derived from another.

Rugby League is closed to American football I reckon (not counting Canadian football).

molgrips
    Free Member

6.30 EST I think.

Question is, BBC or Sky?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That be me here

Yeah, we know, you’ve had plenty to say. Let it go. 🙄

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Chillidogs scoffed t-minus 50 mins

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

🙂 🙂 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oooooo yeah! Here come the Steelers

Jamie
    Free Member

Oh bugger. Eated all my snacks and it hasn’t even started yet.

I guess I suffer from premature snackulation.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Pittsburghs own christina!

Cougar

I loved her in Married With Children.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I guess I suffer from premature snackulation.

With that (after the “sitar” one earlier) it’s time for bed lad. 😛

Philby

Christine Aguilera’s rendition of the Star Spangled Banner was tortuous – sounded like someone being strangled.

CaptJon
    Free Member

At least she had some clothes on for this TV appearance.

Jamie
    Free Member

With that (after the “sitar” one earlier) it’s time for bed lad.

I’m going out on a high 8)

Anyways, thank gawd Ms Aguilera has shut up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Woo. I’ve just seen my name in lights in the tags. I wonder who that might have been?

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok, I am a neutral, in as much as this is the first American Football game I have ever watched, and the only thing I know about it is Michael Vick likes dogs.

Who should I be backing?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If you’re still lovin’ me, then the Steelers. I think most neutrals want to see the Packers win. Their QB is slightly more popular. Also Packers have three SBs to Steelers’ six.

CaptJon
    Free Member

Green Day Packers (as my gf referred to them earlier) score.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)

The topic ‘Superbowl Sunday’ is closed to new replies.