Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Superb Estate owners – how you like them ?
  • iainc

Narrowing down choices when my 5Tourer company car goes back in 6 months. Going onto a car allowance and the Superb Estate, in 150 diesel, 4×4, SEL trim is top of list at moment, based in practicality and affordability. I am keen on 4×4 and realise it won’t feel as good to drive as my BMW. Also looking at Passat Alltrack but the Superb is more car for less money.

Anyone got the Superb and care to share experiences ?

kcal

mate round the corner has one, great car for hauling family and kit around as far as I know. a lot of car for your money as you say iain. I think the room in the back seats is enormous – might even have taken away from the boot size (though that’s pretty big). might even be a smaller boot than our capacious Octavia 2010 model. Octavia compared well with our previous 900S although there were still bits on the 900S (a 1996 car) that weren’t on the Octavia (headlight washers, washer fluid warning level even). decent economy too.

johndoh
    Free Member

I think the room in the back seats is enormous

I thought that last weekend when we had one as a taxi – it was bloody cavernous in there!

nre
    Free Member

Parents have had a 150 4×4 for ~3yrs, they’ve been very pleased with it. They had one warranty issue on holiday in France, they had to pay for it to be fixed and then claim back from UK dealer, I was sceptical but it all got reimbursed.

hot_fiat

My Dad has a ’10 plate 170 (series 2). It’s been bloomin brilliant.

Its easier to list the things I don’t like:
    Some trim is a bit cheap (A and C-pillar coverings have been known to fall off).
    Columbus Satnav (vw RNS510) seemingly designed by a committee. Total waste of 2 din slots. Newer ones are slightly better different.
    Its very long so some parking spaces can be an issue. Series 3 is even longer.
    Some wind noise from around the rear doors.
    erm….. ?

TheFlyingOx

I’ve got a slightly older one, 2010 model. It’s enormous and comfortable inside, I get 55mpg on average (2L diesel, 140bhp version), with the seats down I managed 2 builders bags of wood in the boot. Cannot fault it at all.

jimw
    Free Member

I have had a 13 plate S2 170 4×4 since it was 6 months old and it has been very good. Spacious, refined and very comfortable to drive long distances. It is long, but I would think no real difference to park than a 5 series touring.

I would suggest you check out the Briskoda forums for the good and bad info on S3 models
    http://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/299-skoda-superb-iii/

iainc

Great info, cheers folks

iainc

Had a poke around the showroom earlier today. Unanimously family view was that the Octavia VRS 180 diesel DSG 4×4 Estate was nicer in pretty much every way than the Superb 150 diesel, 4×4, SEL Estate. Pretty much same price on PCP.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting. Had a 3hr ride in a Superb recently, very comfortable and nicely finished (leather interior).

renton
    Free Member

Octavia VRS is Sportier …. Superb is Roomier.

Absolutely love my Vrs

iainc

Rear legroom in Superb was massive, boots seemed similar. The Superb was very comfy to sit in but a bit of a letdown, understandably, being used to a BMW 5 series. The Octavia VRS was a bit different and reminded my of my old Golf GTI a few cars ago.

renton
    Free Member

I had a go in my mates s3 superb back to back with my octavia and whilst the superb was nice to drive I found it wallows to much around the bends.

MoreCashThanDash

We looked at the Superb last year. The rear seat space is huge compared to the Octavia we had at the time, but despite the much bigger boot space on paper I was less impressed by that in real life than I’d hoped.

We got another Octavia in the end. Couldn’t justify the extra cost for the extra space we would need or use.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve only sat in a posh Superb and thought it was quite a big step up from my vRS. The Superb is bloody massive though. My vRS is plenty big enough; it swallowed two DH bikes and loads of other crap without issue and was ace for out family holiday last month.

I get loads of stick about it from mates but I really like it. The interior is nice enough, spec is pretty good and it’s alright to drive. I don’t think I’ll ever fall in love with it in the way I did with m other half’s 330 that we’ve just sold but it’s an easy car to live with. Just wish the 4×4 one had been available when I had to order mine (company car).

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP yes BMW vs Skoda interior is a bit of a tough comparison, not trying to be the same thing.

@mindmap ignore the nonsense, imho its a VW (or which I am a massive fan) with a green badge

iainc

^^^ absolutely agree, think that’s why the VRS seemed a bit fresher and ‘different’.

BMW has been great as a Company Car but as I am going onto a monthly car allowance am keen to look at other options.

mindmap3
    Free Member

mindmap ignore the nonsense, imho its a VW (or which I am a massive fan) with a green badge

I do. The discs are stamped with VW/Audi logos etc. The heater controls are the same the Golf’s. the entertainment / sat nav is identical to what is in a colleague’s Passatt. VAG have been very clever at selling the same car at four different price points.

Despite the reviews etc they do seem to suffer from the old stigma.

absolutely agree, think that’s why the VRS seemed a bit fresher and ‘different’.

The vRS changes do help to make the interior feel a bit nicer.

I’ve had mine for nearly a year now and am still happy with it.

It was the best option for me. My alternatives that I properly considered were a Focus ST diesel (too chavvy), 118d M Sport (couldn’t get key options such as cruise on my budget) or a Cooper SD (too small) A3 (couldn’t get a S Line car with a reasonable engine).

halfbee
    Free Member

They’re very nice, recommended.

You’ve got the name wrong though, according to an insurance agent I spoke to the order day its called the Skoda Super B

renton
    Free Member

Love my VRS ……..

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I went through this recently…
    The superb is a nice car but a bit meh…
    I got the Octavia vrs… It’s a bit less old man…

jimw
    Free Member

I got the Superb because I have got over the need for flash. Understated suits me
    The Vrs is a bit bling for my taste, and too hard riding.

Each to his own

kcal

is that another Octavia across the street, renton ?!

renton
    Free Member

Yeah my neighbours mk2

matt_outandabout

Elgin is full of Skoda’s….

renton
    Free Member

I’ve only seen my new shape Vrs about in estate form.

kcal

lol @matt..

renton
    Free Member

I don’t get it ???

kcal

matt I think has twigged I’m in Elgin. With a Skoda…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I know the Passat doesn’t have a boot lip (like both Octavias I’ve owned). Not sure about the Superb, but to me that could be a clincher if everything else pretty much evens out.

iainc

^^^^ the Passat boot is a bit more accessible, but looking at the models I am after it’s more money for less kit, so at present I am leaning towards the Skoda.

I had been pretty set on the blingy Superb, but having sat in the Octavia VRS 4×4 at the weekend I’m struggling to see past it.. It’s different enough from my current 5 Tourer Company car to not feel like a step down, whereas the SEL Superb feels more like an imitation BMW….

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

I looked very seriously at the Passat and wanted one of them before I looked at the skodas, the problem with the VW is that you want the 190bhp version, and unless you want to buy new as they are basically rare as hens teeth, as they are rep-cars so they made a million 150bhps that hit the lower tax bracket. So those that are available are desirable and attract a premium.

With the vrs, there are enough around that you can find one with the spec you want and not pay through the nose…

Then you can spend some of the money you save on a blue-fin, and take the vrs to 230bhp 🙂

mindmap3
    Free Member

I went through this recently…
    The superb is a nice car but a bit meh…
    I got the Octavia vrs… It’s a bit less old man…

The sportline trim that has just been introduced to the Superb helps it look and feel a bit less old man. Evo magazine gave them one a surprisingly good review.

renton
    Free Member

Then you can spend some of the money you save on a blue-fin, and take the vrs to 230bhp

Revo stage one takes mine to 310bhp !! :mrgreen:

takisawa2

Can you order them without those hideous red brake calipers..
    Sorry, but they’re a bit Max Power.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Then you can spend some of the money you save on a blue-fin, and take the vrs to 230bhp

Yeah. Looked at this several times. Not yet taken the plunge.

But… 🙂

iainc

back to the post though…. 🙂 whichever I go for will be a diesel 4×4 !

renton
    Free Member

Good choice.

However I’ve got the 220 petrol and can get over 40 mpg on a run.

iainc

^^^^ mine will be main family car and does a mixture of city commuting and longer stuff, around 20k miles per annum, so really has to be diesel.

mindmap3
    Free Member

My vRS (184, manual two wheel drive) has been pretty good so far. On a long, run down to Salcombe this year it averaged 63 (well until I got off the motorway). On my commute (35 miles, dual carriage way plus traffic and country lanes) it’s normally about 53 or. It does drop pretty quickly if you drive it like a tit.

I do somewhere between 20 and 25k per year, so I’m stuck with diesel too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Superb Estate owners – how you like them ?’ is closed to new replies.