Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Super Boost … what is the point, and how prevalent is it?
  • hardtailonly

I’ve recently mistakenly bought a used set of superboost wheels, so 157 rear spacing rather than the 148 I thought I was buying.

Obviously, they don’t fit the frame. And I can’t get axle/end caps to reduce back down.

So, I’m going to try and sell on.

But how popular are they, I’m kind of worried they’re a bit niche and it’s going to take a while to sell them …

LAT

it is to stop your chain from breaking when using shimano 55mm chain line cranks.

it is a new rear hub standard 157 wide axle but with the flanges spaced wider than they were with the old 150/157 rear hub standard that was used on DH bikes.

it’s like boost (completely unnecessary), but better!

edit, didn’t read your post, just went straight to a rant. there aren’t many bikes that use super boost. Devinci, some or maybe all Pivots spring to mind as using super boost. perhaps Ibis, but not sure.

tomhoward

Pivot and Knolly use it I think, not sure how many others.

LAT

if you bought them online you may be covered by the distance selling regs. i think they allow you to unpack and examine items and still be able to return them

tomhoward

if you bought them online you may be covered by the distance selling regs. i think they allow you to unpack and examine items and still be able to return them

Doesn’t apply to used goods, if they are as described.

ratherbeintobago

When it first came out (longer ago than I’d like to think) I thought Pivot were taking the piss.

LAT

Doesn’t apply to used goods, if they are as described.

i really didn’t do a good job reading the question! my vision must have been impaired by the hub-standard-induced red mist

TheBrick
    Free Member

its the green one with guarana. I liked them but have been able to find one for years. Most be NOS.

jairaj

My Evil Following V3 has super boost spacing. Supposed makes the rear wheel stiffer and lighter and allows better packaging of the rear triangle, allowing shorter chain stays with good tyre clearance.

Well that’s what the marketing blurb says!

hardtailonly

So … its not really taken off then?

Which is a good thing, philosophically, as I hate all these ‘standards’. But a bit crap for me if I’m trying to move them on …

LAT

don’t be too sure:

https://nsmb.com/articles/were-being-slowly-boiled-super-boost/

mrdestructo

I bought a 29″ hardtail for commuting/xc. It was QR 100/135. The wheels were too flexy. Pushed it offroad and it got messy. I can understand the move to boost. I also read 142mm wasn’t really boost in that it was more an axle cup adjustment than spokes. Now I have 148mm and I’m relatively happy.

148mm is here and it’s solid. Now they want us to buy new frames, new cranksets/axles and shift to another system? Do they think their main clientele has been benefitting during covid and has masses of savings to slash out on the latest/greatest? Money swapping from hand to hand will dictate how this fashion statement takes off.

Yak

its the green one with guarana. I liked them but have been able to find one for years. Most be NOS

Indeed, by far the best version. Only bettered by a drifter, but only if the temps were 10deg +. Any lower and your teeth would fall out.

chakaping
    Free Member

New Saracen FS frames use it as well.

Keep this thread going as a stealth ad long enough and a buyer will probably pop up.

Used wheelsets are probably quite scarce.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m waiting for Track-Boost before I declare this shark well and truly jumped.

I also read 142mm wasn’t really boost in that it was more an axle cup adjustment than spokes. Now I have 148mm and I’m relatively happy.

142 isn’t boost, that’s the “normal” standard rear hub width (usually the same shell as 135) still used on road bikes.

148 is boost.

Superboost is another size up again. Nominally it’s the same as a 150mm downhill hub with end caps for cowled dropouts, there was a diagram floating around that showed wider flange spacing but that assumed the DH hub used symmetrical flanges but that wasn’t ubiquitous, some brands pushed them out as far as they could.

hopkinsgm

148 is boost.

148x12 is boost. As is 141QR. 8)
    I think Salsa are using SuperBoost too – tho appreciate that’s a little niche in the UK

joebristol

A few brands have it – I’m hoping it doesn’t take off otherwise that’s a new rear hub and spokes moving to a newer frame. Maybe a new crank or offset chainring too?

When I was looking at bikes recently I found the following had superboost:

Newer Evils
    Saracen Ariel 30
    Pivot

As mentioned above I think Knolly use it too but their bikes look absolutely hideous so I didn’t consider them 🤮

It’s just another standard to try and get people to buy something new in my cynical mind. Wheels in 29er seem strong / stiff enough with 148 boost without even going for wildly heavy rims. I’m on XM481’s so in DT Swiss speak even if I found them flexy (I don’t) I’d have the EX and FR rim options for something sturdier.

nickc

it’s like boost (completely unnecessary)

Apart from the fact it makes 29er wheels stiffer, allows for wider main pivots, and better chain-lines for 1x systems. if you’re going to say that everything has to be a “standard” (presumably, in this case, 135mm hubs) ..Then you are essentially saying that your against innovation. that no one should try new things and develop bike components anymore. Is that really what you want?

Richie_B

Then you are essentially saying that your against innovation. that no one should try new things and develop bike components anymore. Is that really what you want?

No its not, its like saying why can’t the component manufacturers get together and agree a common standard rather than push their own ‘standards’ which change every couple of years, and while they are at not design components which need new tools for that particular component. Innovation is when things are noticeably improved most of what is going on in the bike industry is planned obsolescence and/or ensuring it is expensive/impractical to change between different systems.

Sorry I forgot to use caps lock

hardtailonly

Keep this thread going as a stealth ad long enough and a buyer will probably pop up.

Ah! Now you’re talking!

Excellent, used set of Hunt trailwides superboost up in the Ads …

Be quick though, the chap who I got them from has agreed to take them back and give me a refund… which is great of him, but it would save us both hassle if someone else has a use for them …

chakaping
    Free Member

the chap who I got them from has agreed to take them back and give me a refund…

He sounds like a very decent bloke, but I couldn’t take advantage of that offer myself if I’d made the mistake.

Northwind

hardtailonly

Thing is, the buying public has practically no influence on this. People think we do, but the only customers that really matter are the OEMs, shops and manufacturers, because we buy a handful of bikes in a lifetime. So if Trek or Shimano wake up tomorrow and go “superboost looks like a laugh”, then superboost we will get.

clubby

“ So WHEN Trek or Shimano ………
    …………… then superboost we will get“

Fixed that last part for you @Northwind

chakaping
    Free Member

No, Shimano aren’t going to decide everyone needs Superboost.

If it comes, it’ll come from brands who make frames. But I believe the industry has largely learned it’s lesson from Boost and we’ll see a period of stability anyway.

hardtailonly

He sounds like a very decent bloke, but I couldn’t take advantage of that offer myself if I’d made the mistake.

Yeah, not quite as clearcut as that. I’d put up a wanted Ad asking for a set of 29er wheels, either standard or Boost. He replied offering these wheels. He’d never fitted them and had assumed they were boost, and sold to me as such, I assumed he was selling boost wheels. Didn’t cross either of our minds they were superboost.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well in that case, he really should be taking them back.

🙂

nickc

Innovation is when things are noticeably improved

Boost hubs have improved lots of things. I mentioned three off the top of my head.

No its not, its like saying why can’t the component manufacturers get together and agree a common standard

This is literally the opposite of driving innovation. Don’t think, don’t change, just everyone make the same thing…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I dont understand people’s issue with re dishing wheels.

All this could be avoided by just dishing a boost* hub over 5mm. That’s well within the tolerance of spoke lengths. And you’d have more even spoke tension.

*Heck, you could re dish a 135/142 hub

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Super Boost … what is the point, and how prevalent is it?’ is closed to new replies.