• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by feed.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • suntour raidon 32 lor-ds, swapping out grease for oil?
  • sam1988
    Free Member

Evening
    Have the above fork on my voodoo bizango, I’ve had to drop the lowers of a couple of times as the forks start getting abit sticky, cleaning our and re greasing corrects this for a a few months. Has any one swapped out the grease for oil? There is already foam rings under. How much oil would you add and how would you stop the oil leaking out if the lower retaining bolts
    Thanks in advance

sam1988
    Free Member

Bump

BearBack
    Free Member

Not this fork but on a few of kids forks I’ve done just that. All sealed cartridge forks which greased forks must all be.
    The grease seems to take on water and turn to sticky wax.
    I’ve degreased with brake cleaner, used slickhoney on the bushes and seals then soaked seals in, and used fox gold for the lowers oil ‘bath’
    Worked just fine on the forks i did it with.
    I probably used 15-20ml of gold each side. Interference between the lower and the bolt washer/head should keep oil inside without much concern, especially sticky oil.

reluctantjumper

Did the oil swap on my XCR-LO forks on my Hoodoo a few months ago, easy to do. I followed the instructions on mtbr for the Raidon fork so here’s what I did:

Remove all grease you can.
    Soak foam rings in oil.
    Check seals are not worn, mine were brand new but yours may be curvy small bits of grit in the grease. If you need new ones the ones for a fox 32 fit. Grease them with a light suspension grease.
    Reassemble with 15 ml of fork oil in each leg.
    Use plumber’s tape round leg bolts to help with sealing.

Really simple to do and has transformed the fork completely. The only issue I have is if I put the fork upside down for more than half an hour, the oil then starts to seep out past the lockout lever. Other than that it’s been all win!

sam1988
    Free Member

Thanks. Did mtbr have an article online covering this or was it in a mag? Will do it this week
    Sam

reluctantjumper

There’s a megathread on the forum about the conversion think it was this one but there may be a few.

feed

Perfect timing thanks, I have planned to service the daughter’s Raidon fork tomorrow. Never realised this was a thing. Will servicing with oil rather than grease. Only issue is I store it by hanging on wall mount by the front wheel. Will need to change storage method.

DickBarton

Hang by rear wheel? That should keep forks with top above bottom…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘suntour raidon 32 lor-ds, swapping out grease for oil?’ is closed to new replies.