Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sunrise and sunsetting further north?
  • treemagnet
    Free Member

I was at enduro at exmoor recently and noticed the sun setting a bit further north than usual and also seems to be rising from north east too!

Anyone else noticed this?

Same thing going on at home in wiltshire, definitely not setting where it used to!

nedrapier

It’s called Summer!

glupton1976
    Free Member

Cock eyed?

Northwind

It’s the magnetic poles reversing (c Kaesae)

treemagnet
    Free Member

Yeah, I read the Earth is having a bit of a wobble and poles are shifting.
    Apparently, the north pole is moving towards Siberia at 1 mile per day!
    Where’s it going to end up though?
    Maybe we’re getting nearer to the equator?

growinglad
    Free Member

I blame Global Warming!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Er.. what’s your question again?

konagirl
    Free Member

It’s called Summer!

Yep, the sun’s path changes with season. Because the Earth’s rotational axis is offset against the angle of the Sun. See paragraphs 1 and 4 in this article, for example. The sun path diagrams on sites like Gaisma are nice, once you understand what you are looking at. Within the Arctic Circle, the green circle for June 21 would lie entirely within the grey outer circle (which represents the sky that you would see if you lay on your back). The further poleward you are, the greater change there is to the location of sunrise and sunset with seasons.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Its a fact windfarms have a braking effect on the earths rotation.
    Want another ? ….Solar panels are sucking off the sun!

treemagnet
    Free Member

No real question, I just assumed the sun would always rise in the east and set in the west.

More daylight in summer is normal, just seems we’re getting quite a bit more than normal.

I mention it to people but no one seems to have noticed anything and are just enjoying the lovely weather.

Not complaining ….just feels a bit weird!

scotroutes

Well – in a Northern Hemisphere summer it always rises in the NORTH East and sets in the NORTH West. Is that what you mean?

Have a play with this… http://www.suncalc.net

molgrips
    Free Member

It works like this. The sun goes around you in a big circle as if you were swinging a ball around you on a string. The angle of that circle relative to the ground depends on your latitude. It doesn’t change in winter or summer, but it moves up and down so more or less of it is below the horizon. You see a different section of it in winter or summer.

I think, anyway.

So wherever you are in the Northern hemisphere, the points of sunrise and sunset move north in the summer. If you are far enough north they meet, and you get 24hr sun.

crikey
    Free Member

It works like this; God likes looking at the north west, so he leaves the light on there longest.

Coyote
    Free Member

^ 😆 ^

Edric64
    Free Member

.Solar panels are sucking off the sun!

In a Michael Jackson way ?

treemagnet
    Free Member

I think I’ve been out in the sun too long! 😳

gwaelod
    Free Member

The sun goes around you in a big circle as if you were swinging a ball around you on a string.

er……well you could think of the sun going around you in a big circle and I think in the RAF they taught celestial navigation as if that was the case and it worked but I suspect in reality the Sun doesn’t really go around us in a circle…although from an earth frame of reference I suspect it’s difficult to confirm my suspicions.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes I was talking relative to the viewer…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sunrise and sunsetting further north?’ is closed to new replies.