Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Sunrace Cassette experiences please!
  • milky1980
    Free Member

Looking to increase the range on my Fuel EX ready for a SDW attempt 😀

It’s 10 speed – 11-36T with a 30T ring – so it’s either go full 11 speed or an 11-40T cassette. Going for a 11-40T cassette (the 42T looks like it has too large a jumps for my liking) with my existing SLX mech and a Saint shifter is half the price of 11 speed so seems a no-brainer, anyone had any issues with a similar setup?

Poopscoop

Quite a free threads on here I think.
    Seems to be a good choice and good product from what I’ve gleaned.

I’d go for the 42 personally though.

That said, range is the most important element to me. 10 or 11 speed cassette. 😀

amedias
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple, they’re good, just as reliable as Shimano SLX in therms if shifting, not sure on longevity yet but wearing well.

Pretty sure the 11-40 and 11-42 are the same steps apart from the last cog so shouldn’t worry, go for the 42.

steezysix
    Free Member

Looking at these too for switching from a 2x drivechain. Will a normal long cage mech (Deore) work with the 40 or 42t, or is it necessary to get a goatlink style adaptor?
    Cheers!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I got the 11-40 all steel 10sp one. No complaints, seems as good as the XT one I had before, as far as I can tell anyway.

kayla1
    Free Member

I used a 9sp 11-40 on my Flare with a SRAM X7 medium cage mech and it worked ok.

teethgrinder

10 speed 11-42 here, running with HG54 10 speed chain, M8000 mech and shifter. Works well, and it’s lighter than the M8000 it replaced.

I was after the 11 speed one, but accidentally regressed to 10 speed when I ordered it at 3am 😳

M1llh0use
    Free Member

11-42 here, shift was questionable going to the larger end. Ended up with a oneup rad-r cage to sort that and now it’s perfect.

alpin
    Free Member

Fitted a 11-40 to the GF’s bike. Got rid of the two chain rings up front and went with a 30t chainring. This gave her the same ratio for climbing she had previously.

Not worried about spinning out on the road. Who wants to ride on tarmac with knobbly tyres?

Using a long cage SLX mech. Wind the screw in. Job done.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Shifting not quite as crisp as shimano xt but very happy with 10sp 11 to 42. One up had bitten the dust and replacement cost of that puts a new cassette mace the sunrace a no brainer.

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Brill for the money.

1timmy1
    Free Member

Put the lighter 11-42 on the Mrs bike with a 30t. She likes the simplicity and I thought she might need to change to a 32t but we shall see how it goes. There seems a fine line when setting it up, but once it is she hasn’t had any problems. Using a Sram x9 mech.

kimbers

Very happy with mine ally one 10sp 11-42 over a year, 2 chains it’s starting to wear but bout the same as any cassette, for the price is a no brainer, keep an eye on uberbike sales codes

milky1980
    Free Member

Went for the 11-42T in the end as that’s what the LBS had on the shelf 😀

Can get the shifting good over most of it or great over 11-36 then graunchy over the 42T or great into the 42 and awful down the 11T end. Have ordered a One Up Radr cage so hopefully should have perfect shifting soon. Gear range is spot-on though, even the larger gaps between ratios isn’t really noticeable.

Should put off going 11 speed on this bike for a few years now.

nairnster
    Free Member

Mine has been great. Shifting just as good as before with only the addition of a longer b screw on the six medium cage mech.

oldnpastit

The new Shimano 11 speed rear mechs (M8000) have the same pull ratio as the older 10 speed mechs. But they’re designed to go up to 46t, whereas the 10 speed ones are only really OK for 36t.

nach
    Free Member

I’m currently running a Sunrace 42t 10 speed with an SLX mech+goatlink. Shifting is a bit clunky but it works fine.

jam-bo

Got one running with a zee fr. It really shouldn’t work but it’s all I had at the bottom of the spares box and it’s done about 1500miles now without missing a beat.

breadcrumb

11:42, SLX medium cage with Goat link. Works bob on.

It was okay without the Goat link, but 17% better with.

nairnster
    Free Member

I just shift 20% less so that still makes mine 3% better 😉 lol

starrman82
    Free Member

No problems with either 10 speed or 11 speed. Great VFM 🙂

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I have an 11-42 10 speed on my XC bike with an older XT shifter/mech. Absolutely brilliant once I got a longer B-Screw (25mm dome head stainless M4 allen bolt). They are superb for the money, really well put together.

Scamper
    Free Member

Recently jumped from 9 speed to 10 speed. 11 speed Shimano looked heavy and expensive. Went for 10 speed Sunrace 11-40 cassette with a 30T ring up front. I really don’t see the point of clutch mechs as more to go wrong (I just stick on a stinger if I really need it) so went for the latest 10 speed mid cage slx rear non clutch mech – a great bit of kit with a nice solid hanger. Stuck all this together via a saint shifter. Didn’t need to use different b screws.

Pretty impressed overall. The shifting compared to a previous XT Shimano set up is a bit clunky in the changes but in a good way – the silky shifting is replaced by a more robust mechanical but equally precise feeling. Depends what you like.

Saccades
    Free Member

Really impressed.

Replaced a 36t XT with the light (Mx?) 40t sunrace for the twentyfour12 last year.

Going to be using the same cassette this year as it’s still on there. Working a treat.

Only downside (but not something that affects me) is being able to pedal backwards as it drops gears. You know that lazy plod/mess about at the end of a trail backspin.

Can’t do it. Awesome cassette.

dukeduvet

Kayla1 where did you get your 9speed 11-40?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace Cassette experiences please!’ is closed to new replies.