Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sunrace cassette and Shimano chain comparability?
  • gasgasser
    Free Member

Hi – advice on this would be appreciated.
    I’ve just replaced e13 11spd cassette with a sunrace one and used a shimano chain.
    Its changing really cleanly but making a lot of noise under load, current thoughts are;
    A. I havent changed the front chainring, could this be worn and need replacing too? Should I have changed it at same time as cassette?
    B. Is shimano chain and sunrace cassette compatible, any thoughts – is it worth trying a different brand?
    C. Something I havent thought of!

Any help and advice would be much appreciated

Phil_H

A could be worn, badly worn teeth look like shark fins
    B I doubt they’re incompatible.
    C new chain? is it on the correct way round? Writing to the outside?
    Have you routed the chain through the derailleur correctly?
    Is the chain long enough?

Jordan

OH’s bike went from full shimano drivetrain to 50t Sunrace cassette. When I was looking into it I read somewhere that the sram 1170 chain worked well in that situation so that is what I fitted. Not had any problems with it.

gasgasser
    Free Member

Thanks
    Front chain ring looks ok comparing against pics of a new one
    Chain is on right way round but the chain length I hadn’t thought of. I’ll add a few links in and try it
    Thanks for note about Sram chain. That’s the next option!

dallas95
    Free Member

There are 3 bikes in our household with sunrace cassettes. All use sram chains, 1130’s. Chainrings are a mix of shimano, superstar and race face so I would put your noise down to the chain. I had a KMC chain on my bike that was noisy and clunky before fitting the sram. Sunrace/sram combo just seems to work.

gasgasser
    Free Member

Thanks for all the responses

I’ve messed with chain length but still not fixed so I’ve ordered a sram chain!

I’ll update when fitted, thanks again!

reeksy

I’m riding a brand new Sunrace, Shimano chain and Absolute black oval chain. Probably would have been better to have one more link, but it’s definitely not making any noise, so i wouldn’t be rushing out to get a chain personally. Try a chainring – you’ll need it at some point.

pembo6
    Free Member

I recently switched from a shimano cassette to a sunrace (11 speed). I read several posts that mentioned the sunrace cassette works better with SRAM chains so I bought one. Flawless shifting. But I never used the shimano chain so I can’t compare. There seemed to be enough reviews recomending against the shimano chain so I switched without testing.

joebristol

The Sram chain might fix it – but it could also just be a new chain with new cassette needing to bed in a little, or it could be new chain on a worn chainring.

I’ve only ever had noisy drivetrains with a Sunrace cassette / superstar chainring combo – I can’t remember what chain I used though 🤦‍♂️ – and initially my new GX Eagle cassette / new X Sync 2 chainring / KMX X12 N-ti chain. The first combo was noisy for about 10-15 rides before it seemed to bed in. The GX one was noisy in the stand but after 1 ride it’s now as quiet as my XT 12 speed with XX1 chain pretty much I think.

I’m not a fan of Shimano chains tbh – the 12 speed one I had on there before the switch to XX1 was always a bit noisy : grouchy as soon as there was any hint of mud / water / grit involved. The XX1 is much more tolerant of that. I’m also not loving the Ultegra chain on my road bike (currently in a turbo) – it’s getting some stiff links quite quickly – and it’s barely been outside in bad weather. Going to give it one more good clean up and lube and if it’s still iffy I’m changing chain brands.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sunrace cassette and Shimano chain comparability?’ is closed to new replies.