Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SunRace 12spd groupset…. Anyone tried it?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

Looking to change my groupset as my current Shimano 10spd one is knackered. I have the SunRace cassette and I’m really happy with it. Started looking and discovered that SunRace do a complete 12spd set up, but I have no idea whether the rear mech and shifter etc are any good? Anyone have any idea?

Poopscoop

There’s been s couple of threads on here about that groupy mate.

I just can’t get the search function to work well for me on my mobile but it would be worth a more sustained search.

I don’t think many are running it yet so the jury might still be out.

Oh, don’t discount the NX groupset. I’m running it on my Winter bike and I really like it so far.👍

tdog
    Free Member

Yh I’m running it chopper!

Seems real good light smooth shifting better than XT I reckon coming from 8000.

Some say the silver cassettes of SR run better than black coated stuff.

Dunno as I have black SR cassette. The kit comes with middle of range rear mech.

Shifter seems bit cheap n tacky but is fairlygood at job tbh.

Just be aware 50T is a proper dinner plate!!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Cheers guys.
    Trying to find previous posts but can’t on this useless search function.
    I must say that for £160 I’m very tempted. It’s a case of being a bit nervous because it’s not made by Sram or Shimano. I suppose you don’t know till you try it?
    Tdog… How do you find the rear clutch mech compared to the shimano one? Does it still seem to stop the chain dropping off on bumpy descents?

transition1
    Free Member

I have done a bit of experiments with Sunrace 12 speed. I have run the rear derailleur with an XO1 11 speed shifter & XX1 12 speed shifter. I have dropped the chain once but that was more to do with front chainring being worn. I prefer it to shimano 11 speed. I have brand new shifter & rear derailleur boxed if interested

tomparkin

A mate rectently fitted it to his hardtail. Cassette, shifter, and rear mech – I think they don’t do cranks unless I’m mistaken.

He reported the shifting as being decent and it “just working” on the whole. Think the cassette is a bit heavy but otherwise it’s fine.

Slight caveat was that he managed to snap the cable guide part of the mech at some point, although I guess you can kill any rear mech with tree or rock strikes. The breakage didn’t write it off though as he managed to zip tie it back to functionality 🙂

marksnook
    Free Member

I’m really curious about the sunrace 12 speed stuff too. Don’t like sram shifters as much as shimano and can’t afford xtr 12 speed!

tdog
    Free Member

The clutch is tight as in even with the supposed corect chain length it runs tight even without clutch on with a 32T up front.

seadog101

I’m toying with the Idea if getting the SR 12 Speed. Being a cheapskate, I like the Idea of not having to shell out for the whole lot in one go.

I like the fact that the derailleur is 10/11 and 12 speed. The bike already has the 10sp SR Cassette (11-42), so the new mech will go nicely onto that. Then, as and when I see the 12 speed cassette, a shifter and chain pop up in a sale, I can get it all done.

My Cassette and current 10sp GX derailleur don’t get on 100% though. All nice until I get to the biggest cog, tends to be a bit jumpy however I adjust it. Chainline maybe?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SunRace 12spd groupset…. Anyone tried it?’ is closed to new replies.