• This topic has 93 replies, 68 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Houns.
Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Sunglasses – how much do you pay?
  • plus-one

Thumbs up for sungod here I’m currently rocking these on the road bike !

Positive reviews British based company with good back up(not tested by me)

https://www.sungod.co/shop/sunglasses/airas?id=airas-af_Mblack-an_Mblack-ale_8gold-ai_Bgold-aes_Rblack

mrmoofo

Thanks

phil5556

I have some Oakley Holbrooks, think I paid about £60 for them. In fact I had 2 pairs but one was last seen sinking to the bottom (of a very shallow bit of!) the Red Sea ☹️

Melon are my go to now and I’ve just bought another pair, £65. Their lenses are polarised and you can choose the colour of the arms, frame & lenses individually.

Very little to choose between the Oakleys & the Melons. I wear both of them a lot.

I had an unbranded pair that were about £20 and lasted 6 months before the frame cracked.

frankconway

Prescription Oakleys – north of £400.

CountZero

One thing I forgot to mention about SunGod sunnies, the lenses all have an AR coating on the inside, which is pretty much unique, my old Arnet Ravens and Steel Ravens have an AR coating, I’m not sure about the Black Dogs without checking, but they’re about the only ones other than the SunGods, which is remarkable considering how cheap they are. I’ve now got three pairs, having aquired a pair of the Lando Norris signature Sierras, with the higher spec 8KO lenses, and they’re as comfortable and well-fitting as the others, not sure how much of a difference there is in the lenses, my new prescription contacts haven’t come through yet, so what I can see is compromised at the moment, but they do seem a bit sharper, a wee bit more clarity, but it’s difficult to tell, but they were still only £85.

somafunk

Most I’ve ever paid was £110ish last year for these Smith Lowdown chroma pop, first venture away from Oakleys since the early 90’s, now that I’m on the wrong side of my mid 40’s I wanted something a bit different from my battered Oakley Prizm trail. They’re decent enough, go to choice for driving and lounging around but it took a while to get accustomed to the shape that sits off the face and being able to see the the frame compared to the uninterrupted vision with my Oakleys

dc1988

I’ve had a couple of pairs of Oakley’s in the past, it’s not worth it IMO unless you can get them heavily discounted. I’m currently wearing a pair of Tifosi glasses, I think they were £30 and I’ve been pleased after about two years of use so far.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I’m usually a prescription wearer when driving, but luckily not severe enough that I can’t get by with non-prescription shades. How much? Whatever Lidl is charging! Can’t remember tbh. Five quidish? I’ve collected a few-changeable lens aisle of dreams specials over the decades and now keep one pair for low light (orange tint) and one pair for bright light (coated/mirrored). One design is more lightweight than the other (the low light pair) but the other pair give greater coverage/protection which is better in bright sunlight. Both are comfortable for long-term use

I lost the grip-rubber off the arms of a third pair (think they were DHB, £20 online possibly Wiggle?) as after a few seasons of use it just melted off so I replaced it with rubbery self-amalgamating tape. They are my least favourite mostly because of the nose-grip being nonexistent and they are tightish. Thankfully the lidl ones are superior.

*Just remembered that I have a fourth pair. I think from Aldi. They have large goggle-style lens and also soft foam strip across the top inside of the lens. I use these for road and light gravel touring in summer. Have always been a fan of eye-protection whilst cycling.

For me though it’s about comfort and function not so much fashion and status. I’d probably splash out on a dreamy pair if the comfort and performance was a an appreciable hike (and budget allowed), but tbh I tend to lose and break stuff so it would be a worry without insurance.

Merak

My name’s Kenny and I have an Oakley problem.

If I could have only one pair it would be these. I love the 1st generation Frogskins.

Houns

Well as Merak started. Here’s mine before my collection reached it’s peak. Far fewer now

twinw4ll
    Free Member

UVA UVB protection, ballistic lenses, platinum coated, bi lateral adjustable frames £10.

MoreCashThanDash

I thought I had an Oakley problem, but I’ve never got as far as having a cabinet

Merak

@Houns do you still have the Atomic Orange Radars?

I sold mine years ago would like another pair.

Houns

Sadly not, sold them, wish I had kept hold of them

Cabinet is for sale too….. My collection is (was) tiny compared to some

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Sunglasses – how much do you pay?’ is closed to new replies.