Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Sunday Times suing Lance Armstrong
  • jota180
    Free Member

I wonder how many others are going to start proceedings against him, he was fairly litigious with anyone that dared suggest he was anything but squeaky so there must be a lot out there fancying their cash back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/20833119

globalti
    Free Member

Come-uppance time.

footflaps

Sadly the $1m odd they’re after is short change to Lance, who has more money than he knows what to do with, plus a $500m pseudo cancer charity at his personal disposal (all they seem to do is pay him a fortune to appear at fund raisers).

higgo
    Free Member

Sadly the $1m odd they’re after is short change to Lance

The process is much more interesting than the amount.
    Will he just cough up or will he attempt to defend the claim?

Please, please, please don’t let him (his legal team, really) find a loophole to slither through.

pjt201
    Free Member

he’ll just settle for an undisclosed sum before it goes to court. He doesn’t want the case tested in court as then he can’t deny anything. If they can settle he can get the other party to sign an NDA.

cynic-al
    Free Member

You would think someone will push him to court to get him to perjure himself.

leffeboy

I wonder if the Times will go for a settlement without the NDA? They must be fairly sure he doesn’t want to go to court.

druidh
    Free Member

Ask yourself – will The Times get a bigger story from an out-of-court settlement or from taking it all the way?

leffeboy

I doubt they care about the money too much – has to be for the story this time

edit: and the extra income from the story etc. In the end they are a newspaper and it is all bottom line

davosaurusrex

Exactly, doubt The Times is doing it for the money. Probably make more from newspaper sales if it goes how they hope anyway

cynic-al
    Free Member

They’ll love claiming the moral high ground over Armstrong.

Mind you, so will I 😀

mattrgee
    Free Member

It’s Not About The Money.

(See what I did there?)

richpips
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Sadly the $1m odd they’re after is short change to Lance, who has more money than he knows what to do with, plus a $500m pseudo cancer charity at his personal disposal (all they seem to do is pay him a fortune to appear at fund raisers).

I think you’ll find that though he might still have coin, his cancer charity has sacked him.

mrblobby
    Free Member

You would think someone will push him to court to get him to perjure himself.

Hasn’t this already happened in the case brought by SCA? Only a matter of time surely?

hora
    Free Member

Interesting. If he settles its an admission.

aP
    Free Member

hora, I know you invested a great deal of emotion into lala, but I think the admission has already been made. All that’s happening now is that the vultures have been circling and the ST is the first to land and take a peck at the body to see how hard it will try and beat them off.

higgo
    Free Member

aP – I must have missed the admission.
    Got a link?

sc-xc

Like when Michael Jackson settled? Like Lance, he was known to

beat them off

aP
    Free Member

So not defending against USADA isn’t an admission?
    Losing all his headline sponsors suggestive that they think he did do it?
    UCI upholding the USADA ruling also suggestive?
    No lawsuit against Tyler for his book, no lawsuit against David Walsh for his recent books – not a de facto admission?
    Which bit don’t you lala deniers get?

Drillski
    Free Member

lance might be flush at the moment, but the sums of money that will be involved if these cases go to court are huge, and the real costs are even bigger. Plus his ability to trade on his reputation is now around zero. it it quite conceivable that unless he has been sensible enough to have moved money beyond the reach of the lawyers, that he may be left without the proverbial pot in which to relieve himself within a few years. One things for certain, his lawyers are gonna be charging up some overtime in the near future.
    Having been so vigorously litigious in the past, he is about to reap what he has sown. One could feel sorry for him in some ways had he not reportedly been a major part of the destruction of the lives of decent people along the way.

higgo
    Free Member

the bit where he says “I did it”?
    (rather than his current line which is still something like “I’m innocent but I’m not going to defend myself against an unfair process”.

p.s. I am far from an LA denier. I know he did it. I’ve been saying he’s dirty for years. I would just like to see him admit it finally. He will do one day, either because he’s forced into it or because the economics have shifted and he can get a good book deal out of ‘coming clean’.

globalti
    Free Member

He needs to disappear, fast. Maybe a bike trip to outer Mongolia or deepest Borneo, no news for months then the wreckage of a bike found in the jungle with a shredded yellow jersey?

fourbanger
    Free Member

Maybe I missed something but what lives did he destroy?

camerone
    Free Member

You could google:
    Filippo Simioni
    Christophe Bassons
    Emma O’Reilly
    Greg Lemond

Just a start. LA is complete vermin.

hora
    Free Member

Like when Michael Jackson settled?

Always found this gobsmacking. It was still ‘but its Michael Jackson’!

No hes sings songs and sleeps with children- what part of singing makes it ok?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Camerone, don’t forget the young riders he forced into doping.

augustuswindsock

Does all this mean the Lance Armstrong film that was talked about isn’t going to happen? i was looking forward to that! sob!!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Where will the court case be held, if it is in Texas the good ol boy Lance has nothing to fear.

psling
    Free Member

It sure is an interesting one. Any claim would need to be through a court of law I imagine and, unless I’ve missed something, LA hasn’t actually been convicted of anything in a court of law which is probably a good starting point for a defence.
    We all know that he manipulated the system, he’s been declared guilty by doping agencies and sports bodies, but has anything actually been indisputably proven in a legal sense?

Nobby

I seem to recall that these cases should be held in the courts where the original case was (due to be) heard.

br
    Free Member

Where will the court case be held, if it is in Texas the good ol boy Lance has nothing to fear.

And if it’s in the UK, does he actually need to even bother contesting it – any actually lawyers in the house who’d know?

Nobby

There was an interesting piece way back when SCA announced they were suing him for bonus payments they made under suspicion that he doped in ’06.

The basic premis was that because the USADA are a formally recognised and accredited governing body their findings & rulings are taken as fact until proven otherwise. LA’s refusal to contest their ruling is seen as an admission of guilt so any civil action against him would succeed unless he could, in a court of law, disprove the agency’s findings. In essence, he’d not have a leg to stand on without bringing everything into the public domain, including the Federal investigation which was pulled without any real explanation.

Personally, I’d like to see him and his team defend these actions so that any doubt (it seems some still believe) can be eradicated once & for all. The added bonus might be that the UCI are proven to have been complicit in the whole affair and then reformed from the top down.

convert

As an aside, I have just finished Tyler Hamilton’s book. If you haven’t read it yet, it’s worth a read over the festive period. LA comes over as not a very nice character with “flawed” personality traits certainly. I wouldn’t say he was the problem though; just one of the more successful and driven at playing by the in-house rules of the time. A product of the era. Why has he not fessed up – well apart from his personality I’d say it’s probably because he was so successful financially at the time he has so much more to loose than anyone else its probably harder for him than anyone else. There are plenty of others name checked in the book that need to leave the sport for it to have any credibility though. Anything achieved by Riis and Saxo Bank and many many others even today is hard to believe.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Awards of court can generally be enforced in other jurisdictions.

lazybike
    Free Member

cba….got to go and get the turkey.

Junkyard
    Free Member

God must we do this again- are you still having doubts then Hora?

He has been found guilty – just because you choose to not turn up at court it does not make you innocent and from Mr litigious as well.

He will settle but the times should refuse

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rumour is that his lawyers are already trying to settle with SCA for the 15 million in bonus payments. Bit of an u-turn for him having said he’d fight that one,

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Sunday Times suing Lance Armstrong’ is closed to new replies.