Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sunday Times Hebden Bridge loop
  • thejesmonddingo

Hi,thinking about doing this on Thursday,what’s the ride like,will it be ok in the rain? Used to the Dark Peak,but not done much in Calderdale.Description and map below.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/travel/Holidays/Active/article1243632.ece#next
    http://lostlanes.thebikeshow.net/maps/webmaps/osmap.html?f=ST-ride-6.gpx
    Thanks,Ian

P.S. A search on here using sunday times hebden yielded no results,before any smartass accuses me of laziness.

woody2000

You wanted a road ride, right? 😉

thejesmonddingo

No,it didn’t look that roadie at first sight.

RustySpanner

That’s a cracking road ride (second link).

Lovely caff at Coldwell Reservoir just past Thursden (your NW corner) if you need a break.

Pull out of Hebden is an absolute bastard. 😀
    And the drop down to Hebden through Mytholm Steeps can be a bit fun in the wet too. 🙂

If you park on the road on the Mytholmroyd side of Hebden you avoid the car parking charges and dented doors.
    Usually parking in Worsthorne too, but no caff.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

That map you’ve linked is 100% road.

Scapegoat
    Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

ironically perhaps, if you took Scapegoat’s link and rode every footpath within the perimeter of that published loop, you wouldn’t go far wrong. 😛

thejesmonddingo

Having had a closer look at the maps,I don’t want a 24 mile road route,Scapegoat that looks more our style,ta.

RustySpanner

There’s a very barky dog at number 10 on Scapegoats map. 🙂

If you ask in Blazing Saddles at Hebden, they’ll sort you out with a good route.
    Alternatively, I’m sure one the locals will be able to give you a guided tour.
    Maybe pop into STW towers with a map and a highlighter – they never seem to be busy. 😀

thejesmonddingo – Member

Having had a closer look at the maps,I don’t want a 24 mile road route,Scapegoat that looks more our style,ta.

It’s a very, very nice road route, if you change your mind.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Have a look on the Bogtrotters website. Although not always 100% legit, they do have a knack of riding some really good stuff. Theres a route on their website which IIRC goes south from the station and maybe does Kebab St and Birthday X etc and then up the other side of the valley up to Blackshawhead. Along to Egypt and then back along Hep Moor before doing Stannys. Then bottom of Blue Pig and a climb up to the ice cream van on the Oxenhope Rd. Over High Brow Knoll, big descent off there all the way through Peckett Well etc and then finish off on a drop into Hebden.

If anyone else fancies that ride sometime, I’ll pencil it in for late June on a Saturday/Sunday? Happy to lead it…

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

DBW, ‘Birthday Present is just about ridable again now but frustratingly full of deep piles of fallen leaves covering the holes.

Bogtrotters website. Although not always 100% legit

Gloriously British understatement! 😆

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Cool, will take a look when I’m up there next. Stayed away from it for a long time as it was royally fecked last year…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sunday Times Hebden Bridge loop’ is closed to new replies.