Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Sunday sounds
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Happily working a bit before riding out for a juice somewhere. Been made a lot better by finally getting a secondhand CD sent to me of a Japanese bootleg of the final night of Pink Floyd’s Earls Court gigs in ’74.
    I was there one evening (cant remember which) but listening to it again I can see why I was impressed. All of Dark Side plus works in progress for Animals and Wish You Were Here and Echoes.
    A brilliant night out and a great recording.
    And if that is too old school for DezB then I am currently listening to some cutting edge Fado.

Anyway Pink Floyd – Decline And Fall Of The British Empire

Disc 1: (55:52) Raving And Drooling, You Gotta Be Crazy, Shine On You Crazy Diamond

Disc 2: (57:35) Dark Side Of The Moon – Speak To Me, Breathe, On The Run, Time, Breathe (Reprise), The Great Gig In The Sky, Money, Us And Them, Any Colour You Like, Brain Damage, Eclipse

Disc 3: (25:43) Audience, Echoes

locum76
    Free Member

If I wasn’t at work the Marc Miller tiny desk concert would feature today.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I was also at the Saturday night show on VIP tickets at Earls Court on The Division Bell Tour …which got me into the hospitality ” tent ” ..had a chat with Jason Orange ( there with Lulu ) and Howard from Take That ..also got chatting with a record company exec on the way out ( not sure if he was EMI or not ) who passed me his number and said I should call him on the Monday to discuss working for him ..which I promptly lost .
    Talk about missed opportunities! I had tears rolling down my cheeks through Comfortably Numb & Wish You Were Here ..
    As a spectacle ..probably the best gig I have seen..
    Might just stick Echoes on ..

slowoldman

Is that the NPR Tiny Desk? Some brilliant stuff there, though my choices veer to classical.

CountZero

I saw Floyd on that tour, at the Bristol Hippodrome. I’ve still got the comic-book programme from that gig.
    I went on a minibus with my then g/f, and some of her schoolmates, who were all going to see Rory Gallagher, at the Colston Hall, just around the corner.
    Anyway, after Floyd finished, I went to meet my g/f, and there was nobody about. I went in, and up the stairs to the main hall, still nobody, but I could hear music, so I went to the curtain at the door, and there was Rory in full flight, still playing encores. I stood just inside and watched him for nearly forty minutes for free!
    Great evening that was.
    I’ve wanted a copy of that cd, or one from that tour, for years. I know there was one called Winter Tour ‘74, whether it’s the same as yours, eddie, I’m not exactly sure.
    Lucky git! 😁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Around that time I was working with a guy whose wife ran a jewellery and nik nak business. She often had stalls in the foyer of gigs. We’d help her set the stand up, go for a beer, help her selling, deal with the interval rush, take the stand down in minutes after the interval and then wander in and watch the headliners at venues from Brighton to The Rainbow via Birmingham. Saw a lot of stuff back then.
    And have an aversion to silver jewellery and tie-dye shirts to this day.

tootallpaul

Where may one find bootlegs such as these?

🙂

fasthaggis

Sunday sounds?
    Has to be the first click of a shoe engaging in a cleat. 🙂

CountZero

I’m now listening to the Pink Floyd bootleg, thanks to eddiebaby’s generosity, and it’s really very good! Thank you again, I’m really very grateful. 😊

eddiebaby
    Free Member

No idea what he’s rambling on about… 🤐

cinnamon_girl

Dark Side of the Moon tour? I was at Earl’s Court, must have been dragged along cos, try as I might, I just don’t get Floyd.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Obviously a Genesis fan then.

cinnamon_girl

Moi? No and have seen them live several times. Really the quantity of new music both in the UK and the US/Canada was just overwhelming. Simply couldn’t keep up and obviously no Youtube!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just got back from a 4 hour ride in the sunshiine and decided to hit the Aeropress and YouTube for music I don’t own.
    Found loads more Larkin Poe stuff. So I’m a happy chap.

CountZero

Hey, eddiebaby, have you heard anything by Phoebie Bridges? One of my last purchases from Bath HMV before it closed was a Larkin Poe album. Now I’ve got to go to bloody Bristol if I want to browse in a record shop, but at least it seems that Fopp is still open, plus there’s now a Rough Trade there as well. Got a gig in Bristol Rough Trae in April, too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’ll have a search on YoutUbe for Phoebe.

CountZero

Quick update viz Fopp in Bristol – it’s closed, but all stock is in situ. ☹️
    Appears that the new owner is hoping that those who set business rates will be prepared to see sense and set a reasonable rate and have a shop open and paying rates, rather than an empty space contributing nothing. I live in hope.
    Rough Trade is OK, but nothing like the range that Fopp has, sadly.
    Still managed to spend £52 on five new albums on Friday, though!

CountZero

I’ve only managed to listen to three of the new aquisitions, but I reckon they’d be ideal Sunday albums.
    They’re ‘Better Oblivion Community Centre’, by Phoebie Bridgers and Connor Oberst, ‘Ex:Re’, which is Elena Tonra of Daughter, and ‘Lump’, Laura Marling, and Mike Lindsay of Tuung. All three have a quality that seems to lend itself to Sunday listening, indefinable though that is.
    I’ll try to listen to the other two today, (Sunday), to see how they work, one is Beak> >>>>, the other is The Good, The Bad & The Queen ‘Merrie Land’. I have a feeling they might make good Sunday listening too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I’m lying in bed with a coffee and Miles Davis’ In A Silent Way. Plenty of time for new stuff later if the weather forecast is right.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Sunday sounds’ is closed to new replies.