Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • sun tubes / light pipes, any reccommendations?
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Looking at fitting a sun tube thing for a dark area of the house, anyone got one / fitted one? Are there any best / worst makes?

Thanks

mj27
    Free Member

I had a 3 bed semi which I extended to the side to make it bigger, this meant I lost the window that gave daylight to the landing at the top of the stairs. I fitted a rigid sunpipe from Monodraught. It also has a light in this one so the area only has one diffuser/light.

It is very good at delivering daylight. I fitted it myself, the hardest bits are fitting the top dome in the roof and getting the rigid pipes to the correct lengths and to fit together.

Well worth the £250 ish I think I paid for it 7 years ago.

meeeee
    Free Member

thanks, will look at them.

Do you notice any major heat loss / cold spots around them in winter?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mj27
    Free Member

With it being at the top of the stairs the heat will obviously move towards it. There is a loft hatch (insulated) and the sunpipe in the landing ceiling but no noticible heat loss.

The loft does have 300mm of insulation and my combined gas & and elec bill is £77/mth and thanks to the wood stove I am in credit despite the poor weather, so I would have noticed if it was cold.

With is being sealed at each end rapid heat loss would not be possible anyway. Bite the bullet, get it fitted.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘sun tubes / light pipes, any reccommendations?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts