Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sun Ringle Inferno rims
  • Phil_H

I’m looking for some new rims to replace my mavic X317 disc rims.
    The Inferno 25 look like they fit the bill, wider & about the same weight.
    Has anyone used them?
    Are they any good?

Garry_Lager

Ebayed a new sun ringle inferno wheelset from a bike and no one was interested, went for buttons. Whereas I’ve sold ‘ridden-in’ mavic / hope stuff for decent money. Doesn’t appear to be a highly rated rim / brand here.
    Of course that could be a good thing if they are actually decent, could pick some up for not very much money.

I was getting rid as it was not completely clear that they could run tubeless – threads on mbr suggested it was very hit and miss.

notlocal
    Free Member

I’ve got the Inferno 25 as standard on my Jekyll. They’ve handled the mix of terrain we have here in the Ballater really well.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wobbliscott
    Free Member

Had some on my Cannondale XC bike and my mate has some on his Norco Shinobi. Yep, they’re fine and do the job. Plenty robust enough for my clumsy riding style.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Sun make pretty good rims, IIRC they make stans rims for stans. No reputation in UK though, so possible to pick up some bargains.

See also WTB, nice rims, often very cheap here.

GreenK
    Free Member

A bit more expensive (plus £10) but tubeless ready (yellow tape type), has eyelets, 415g (the ones I have weighed 393g) and 26mm outer width.

Linky

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

WTB laser i19 – £18 – 19mm internal width, tubeless ready, 385 grams.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/wtb-laser-tcs-xc-rim/rp-prod107251

Tempted to get a pair myself.

Phil_H

Choices choices…
    Tempted by the Vapours, how do they hold up to being thrown down rooty rocky stuff?

GreenK
    Free Member

Sorry, Phil, late reply.

Not much experience yet as still a new build. However, they build easily and are very nicely made. Quality of finish is very good. The weld is one of the best I’ve seen yet and only produces a small kick when spun and checked in the wheel building stand. I was able to build a good tight wheel (125Kg or there about) with DT Comp spokes without suffering loads of spoke twist.

I used 25mm Stan’s yellow tape – one turn – and a Stan’s 35mm tubeless valve. I fitted a Specialized Ground Control 2Bliss tyre which took to the bead first pump. The tyre had been previously used.

I’d give them a go.

I looked at the WTB Laser i9s but wanted a wider internal width than they have. The Vapour is about 22-23mm I think.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

what mrmonk says, unfashionable in the UK so some bargains to be had on what are good quality rims. I managed to wreck both my DT 5.1s in separate incidents, CRC were doing various Sun rims for peanuts, I picked up some EQ31s (same ERD as old rim so straight swap) in winter camo for about 18 quid each (rrp £60 which is close to what DT5.1s go for).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sun Ringle Inferno rims’ is closed to new replies.