Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Sums up my ebike riding experience.
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Fun.

Poopscoop

Genuine question here.

Do you get sarcastic comments from non ebike riders?

I was nattering to a guy repairing a puncture on his ebike recently when a passing rider made a slightly derisory comment. Nothing too bad but it did make me wonder if this is the “norm”?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I don’t own one. I’d like decent one but can’t afford one yet and as I don’t ‘need’ one as opposed to wanting one I’m waiting for a bit.
    I try not to be judgemental about anyone on a bike. I don’t always succeed.

jedi

Ebikes are brilliant. Same effort for more speed equals further travel and wide smiles

servo
    Free Member

There is a lady commuter I see on the last bit of my commute and she is riding an electric moped. She doesn’t pedal and it does 20 mph. No number plate and she sometimes wears a bicycle helmet or not. There don’t seem to be any pedals at all. What is it?

trustysteed

My bike is NOT an ebike, however I get people (mostly roadies when I overtake them) asking me if it is (I assume because it’s a carbon hardtail and the down tube is quite thick so people think it has a battery in it?) and they look at it in a sneering way and say stuff like “Is that an eBike? That’s cheating!” In a very passive-aggressive way. So I can sympathise.

CheesybeanZ

I was nattering to a guy repairing a puncture on his ebike recently when a passing rider made a slightly derisory comment.

The person making the comment broke rule 1 .

Poopscoop

Rule 1, yeah I tend to agree there.

Takes all sorts I suppose.

tjagain

servo

There is a lady commuter I see on the last bit of my commute and she is riding an electric moped. She doesn’t pedal and it does 20 mph. No number plate and she sometimes wears a bicycle helmet or not. There don’t seem to be any pedals at all. What is it?

illegal

choppersquad
    Free Member

If a biking genius like Jedi likes them that’s good enough for me…..when I can afford one…..in a few years.

Paceman
    Free Member

…basically, what Jedi said 😁

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve had one for 5 weeks now, no derisory comments yet (not in earshot anyway). Most riders are either indifference about it, or genuinely interested/curious so far.

takisawa2

Careful, you’ll have so many puritanical killjoys leaping down Moral Hill it will look like a Cheese rolling contest.

E-bike threads are seconded only by the opportunity to bleat about never taking on any form of credit.

They look like a laugh. 😁

handybar
    Free Member

If you are young and fit, I don’t see the point of an ebike, but we all get older, and if it means you can stay on the bike whereas otherwise you’d not ride at all, I’m all for them.

kayak23

Harry Main just got one. He seems quite excited about it.

daveylad
    Free Member

Just Bought one myself. Will return to afan/cwmcarn/cody brenein etc, the sort of places I havent been to for 10 years or so due to not wanting to ride uphill.
    I hope there are no dawdlers on non assisted bikes getting in the way on the climbs though. They seem quite angry & jealous.

LAT

I hope there are no dawdlers on non assisted bikes getting in the way on the climbs though.

Just barge past them, I believe that is the protocol.

sirromj

Can they help with baby sitting?

iainc

Most fun I have had on a MTB for years !

Poopscoop

You were having to contemplate giving up mtb weren’t you Ian?

Sorry if I’ve got the wrong person!

iainc

^^^^ yes, some recently diagnosed underlying heart issues. An e-MTB will keep my ride options for off road open !

stevextc
    Free Member

The person making the comment broke rule 1 .

It’s 2019 … anyone running tubes is fair game 😉

muggomagic

Paceman

Subscriber
    I’ve had one for 5 weeks now, no derisory comments yet (not in earshot anyway). Most riders are either indifference about it, or genuinely interested/curious so far.

Well there was that old man that called you a cheat 😀 You handled that very well I thought.

funkmasterp

Never ridden one, don’t really appeal to me, but I really don’t understand the hatred. If it works for you and means you can get out riding just go for it.

lowey

Demoed a few at Ard Rock last year. Hilarious fun.

Wont be getting one though.

z1ppy

Ive just bought my 2nd one*, so I’m convinced. Had a few snide comments, but mostly it guy purposely try to wind us up (for amusement), but then admitted having tried one & thought it great fun. Otherwise it like the guy at a trailcentre hill, who after shouting cheat at us, was laughed at by all his mates when my friend replied “whose walking?”. For the most part it’s like those sad walkers who have to tell you, you shouldn’t be there, you just smile & ignore them
    There great fun, & I go mtbing for fun, not as a sufferfest, but others disagree

*anyone want an e-sommet?

madhouse

Glad you had fun.

Couldn’t give a monkeys what you’re riding.

Carpediem
    Free Member

I Bought an E-bike last week and had my first propper ride up Afan yesterday.Riding my normal trails was a totally new experience and soooooo much fun i couldnt believe!

However, I passed 3 riders ( not gunning it in Turbo mode or anthting brash, and all three made comments about cheating. I’d had enough by the last one so lifted my top to show a scar from my sternum to waist line and said ‘ Tell that to my op’ to remove cancer a few months ago!!’

They were shocked and looked very embarrased. I didnt stop to engage them further, just left them to stew on the thier pathetic comments.

singlespeedstu

14 months of riding eebs on and off and not one negative comment here.
    I don’t really ride trail centers though.
    Maybe its because I speak to everyone I see on a ride no matter what they’re riding/not riding or what I’m riding.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Do you get sarcastic comments from non ebike riders?

Iv’e had a sarcastic comment from an ebike rider, as she passed me near the top of Captain Cooks monument. ‘haha, you need one of these, It’s much easier’.
    Then, ‘maniac’! as I passed her on the descent from the top. 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Sums up my ebike riding experience.’ is closed to new replies.