Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Summer Tyre Combo……what do you run?
  • Northwind

"Is the Nevegal a large 2.1?"

It's an accurate 2.1. Which means much the same thing, many brands undersize terribly. Kenda own a ruler.

I like the small block a lot but I didn't like it on the front, not that it was terrible but I found it confidence sapping, lots of very minor protests and slides which never came to anything but which felt like they might. Best summer rear tyre there is though IMO. Kept me riding at 10utb on stuff that better riders were pushing.

Not so happy with my fronts, I use Nevegals but they're draggier than I need I think, Just haven't found the ideal replacement yet.

njee20
    Free Member

I didn't go for a Fred on the rear as it's seldom dry enough, often enough to keep one on there

Definitely agree with that, I only use my Fred for a couple of months of the year, at most. I was more meaning why the Ralph over another Ron, genuinely curious. I personally wouldn't have said they rolled quicker, but it's a hard thing to quantify!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member

Specialized Fastracks 2.1 grippy on loose stuff and will take light mud – also 120tpi – helps protect punctures.

Keva
    Free Member

kenda small 8s 2.1 on the giant xtc
    smart sams 2.1 on the rock lobster
    wtb exi wolf 2.1 front and conti 2.1 explorer rear on the Ti456 (the wtb is much bigger than the conti)

Kev

cheers_drive

I was using Advantage 2.1 up front and Larsen Mimo 2.0 on the rear which I was liking but the Mimo sidewalls just didn't last. Now using a Smart Sam on the back which felt ok after one ride but would prefer something with a little more volume.

stevede
    Free Member

Specialized eskar 2.3 2bliss front and 2.1 crossmark rear (which will go 2.25 when worn out) on my five both tubeless.
    The eskar is a really grippy front tyre, love it and the crossmark is surprisingly grippy for such a fast roller.

FS – 2.3 Spesh Eskars

HT – 2.1 Panaracer Fire XC

They stay on the bike until they wear out, at which point they are replaced with the same, or maybe something different.

Is it really worth changing tyres for our non-existant Summer? In any case, Summer's over now until late August – we've got nearly 3 months of rain with the odd nice day thrown in to look forward to.

Keva
    Free Member

dunno where you live AFK STR but where I am the trails are miles drier than they were several months ago, nowhere near as much mud on the ground… Since it only takes 10 mins to swap a set of tyres over it's nice to take the opportunity for a bit of faster smoother riding and getting a few more miles in, totally different experience from slogging it through the mud.

Kev

steve_b77
    Free Member

FS has 2.25" 3C Evo Nobby Nic up front and a 2.1" 3C Evo Racing Ralph out back, run tubeless.

SS HT has 2.35" Maxxis Ignitor Exceptions front and back, fast as you like and pretty grippy on woody single track, alot faster than advantages in a side by side roll test down a hill by me and my mate last week, we're talking a good 25m over about 300m of mild gradient farm track – and he's slightly heavier so has the G's on his side

njee20
    Free Member

Is it really worth changing tyres for our non-existant Summer?

I've had 3 different sets of tyres on my wheels in the last week! I've only ridden the bike twice in that period.

mrplow
    Free Member

Minion Front, Larson Rear both 2.35, 60A folding jobs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I just stuff an extra 5 psi in when it's this dry.

thomthumb
    Free Member

just put a semi slick on the back of my xc bike; driftastic 🙂

nickc

was going to get a Racing Ralph for the back, just noticed how much the Nics worn down, probably won't bother now….

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Summer Tyre Combo……what do you run?’ is closed to new replies.