Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Summer softshell.
  • milky1980
    Free Member

What do you recommend?

Got a winter one that’s great below 5 degrees but a proper sweatbox above that. My old summer one (no-name, forgot where I bought it) has died. It was very thin but kept me warm even in the worst downpour above 0 degrees and was water-resistant enough to keep off drizzle or light rain.

Budget-friendly options please!

fifeandy
    Free Member

Long sleeve or short sleeve with arm warmers?

milky1980
    Free Member

Long sleeve preferably but open to options of removable to make into a gilet.

MSP

Summer soft shells are a bit of a minefield, gore windstopper is quite thin, but not really that breathable, where as polortec power shield is more breathable, but a bit more insulated. As someone who sweats quite heavily I would go for power shield above windstopper.

Then there are the “pertex” type windshells, which again I don’t find very breathable, but something like a rab ventus is better but doesn’t pack down as tiny.

milky1980
    Free Member

I’m a sweaty one too on the bike, just run hot naturally! Great for the winter, crap for the summer 😕

The old one was thin, breathable and reasonably waterproof, wish I could remember what it was 🙁

BadlyWiredDog

If you want something that works in actual warm conditions, check out the Rab Boreas – it’s not very windproof, or very water resistant, but it’s oddly brilliant on days when you want something a little more than a baselayer tee, but without getting hot and sweaty – £60-ish, but not very protective.

Or, if you want something a bit more protective, but still quite breathable, the VR Flex is ace. Not completely windproof, but the pay-off is better breathability plus the side panels are more breathable again stretch fabric. Around £100 but good.

I wouldn’t touch either PowerShield or Windstopper for summer use unless you run really cool. What you really want is some sort of non-membrane, double weave fabric. The North Face summer soft shell – really, that’s it’s name – is pretty good along those lines.

Big picture: it’s always a balance between weather protection and breathability/comfort.

jruk
    Free Member

I’m watching this thread with interest as I’m after something similar – thin / bit water and wind resistant bit not a full on winter soft shell or jacket. Can stuff it in a Camelback etc if it starts to get warm. I had an Aldi one that did the trick but I managed to kill it.

rustybolt
    Free Member

I too run hot when active and agree the Rab boreas is a good shout from personal experience biking, climbing or walking . What I’m finding even better now with more weatherproofing but still really breathable is the Mountain Equipment Squall at around £80 ish , and has been a brilliant bit of kit for me ..

Del

montane featherlight smock. not a soft shell but keeps out the wind? if you want it to breath more don’t reproof it so often, if you want it to be more water resistant, proof it more often. cheap and light.

hairyscary

I know it’s not budget friendly*, but I’ve come to the conclusion that Castelli make awesome cycling kit and they seem to make something for every kind of weather.

*Their stuff is quite often on offer somewhere.

BadlyWiredDog

montane featherlight smock. not a soft shell but keeps out the wind? if you want it to breath more don’t reproof it so often, if you want it to be more water resistant, proof it more often. cheap and light.

I don’t think it works like that – all the proofer does is repel surface water and stop it, initially soaking into the fabric. Not proofing it may make it feel cooler when it’s wet through heat transfer, but it won’t effect the moisture vapour transfer levels in a positive way, though it may actually mean reduced breathability once it gets soaked.

What I’m finding even better now with more weatherproofing but still really breathable is the Mountain Equipment Squall at around £80 ish , and has been a brilliant bit of kit for me ..

That makes sense, it’s double weave soft shell fabric – no membrane – which works really well if you run on the warm side. The Boreas is an odd sort of creature, but on warmer days is brilliant though less outright protective. All depends on what you’re after I guess.

smashit
    Free Member

Altura 360 Softshell – bonus that its super-cheap!!

MSP

Boreas looks interesting, a heavier weight version of the ventus.

rivingtonbike
    Free Member

Madisoon Zenith lightweight softshell works for me – light,showerproof and i never get too hot in it.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Madison-Zenith-Lightweight-Softshell-Cycling-Jacket-SS16_70557.htm
    Can be bought cheaper from other retailers.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

How about a Paramo Fuera windproof? stupidly packable and light, can take a shower or two and is great at regulating your temperature due to the extra long pit zips and front zip. The hood is big enough to go over a helmet or can be sinched down tight.
    It’s great in warm temps with just a t underneath or a fleece during the colder months.
    Roughly £60 I think.
    also comes in jacket or smock flavours

fifeandy
    Free Member

I know it’s not budget friendly*, but I’ve come to the conclusion that Castelli make awesome cycling kit and they seem to make something for every kind of weather.

*Their stuff is quite often on offer somewhere.

Agreed.
    New Perfetto looks awesome, but lacks both sleeves and cheapness requested by OP

Del

Paramo Fuera

the base fuera doesn’t have pit zips – you need the Ascent version for that.
    the base fuera did everything worse than the featherlight for biking IME. heavier, doesn’t pack down as small, doesn’t breath as well, and flaps about more.
    one man’s pleasure is another’s poison i guess!

hairyscary

Agreed.
    New Perfetto looks awesome, but lacks both sleeves and cheapness requested by OP

Just off out now wearing mine. Arm warmers if it gets damp. Awesome top.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

the rab boreas is just the hooded version of the ventus, slight difference to pull system on waist and sleeve ends, but identical material and chest pocket.

treckitt are usually on the money for them, i got the acid green which is very nice, although i cant get the mudsplats out..

its good when its overcast and not too warm..

was eyeing these up earlier.
    maybe too hot and fragile for my falls
    http://www.cyclesurgery.com/pws/UniqueProductKey.ice?ProductID=N1110201_7676

milky1980
    Free Member

A few good options to work through there 🙂

The Rab looks a good bet from pictures, does it come low enough on the back to cover the arse?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

Yeah they are a good length,easily covers lower back

benp1

Is a summer soft shell basically just a wind proof top?

Anything with additional warmth is surely too hot?

My favourite soft shell can only be worn Autumn to spring

BadlyWiredDog

Is a summer soft shell basically just a wind proof top?

Not necessarily, it could just be wind resistant. As above, you’re trading wind and water resistance for breathability in really simple terms.

The problem is that the term ‘soft shell’ has become a massive blanket description that covers stuff that’s pretty much waterproof but not that breathable – Gore Windstopper is a typical example – right the way through to fabrics that are much more breathable, usually because they don’t use a membrane or super closely-woven fabric, but don’t offer as much wind or water resistance.

And yes, soft shells with a plush or brushed lining are probably going to be too warm for most people in summer conditions, but again, it depends on the soft shell…

benp1

That was my point, but I’d put it poorly, I should have said windshirt or windtop, rather than windproof

If it’s unlined then it’s just shades or wind resitance, so you can layer up underneath if it’s cool, and not if it’s warm

I didn’t really get what the OP was trying to ask, when it’s warm I find a windshirt to be epically useful

nedrapier

Just wore my new Madison Flux in to work this morning. Nice and light and seems to be very breathable. It looks like I’ll get a chance to test waterproofness on the way home.

On sale on a few sites, inc Evans.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Summer softshell.’ is closed to new replies.