Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,496 total)
  • summer rugby
  • tallie
    Free Member

I thought when he did Genia right on the line as the Lions attacked he got it wrong though as I thought Genia was the tackler so could get up and play the ball without being offside.

AA – it wasn’t Genia he penalised, it was the next 2-3 aussies driving through the ruck that failed to stay on their feet – they had hands all over the deck. Agree with the majority of the rest of your comments particularly Youngs excellent performance.

On second watching Philips defence for the first try was poor – he was way too hesitant backing off Genia and gave him way too much room.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Interesting to see the boot/head up there. Did it make the British broadcast? The Green & Gold lenses down here didn’t pick it up at all.
    Agree that kicking killed the Wallabies, but will be interesting to see who comes back from the head injuries after some pressure not to rush people back over here in other sports.
    Lions need to watch that game a few times and put some good planning/moves together and just gel a little more.
    As for the Ref the most annoying bit was the hesitation with the Scrum calling, as if he wanted them to infringe. Keep it a bit more RL for them up there.
    The pitch didn’t look up to any serious beating either, seemed to be a few slips and divots pulling out not helping a few things (and helping one right at the end)

The biggest plus for the Lions is that nobody went off on a stretcher, hopefully those involved Wednesday with plans for the next 2 tests stay safe.

Still 1-0 with 2 to play, see how the Wallabies cope with must win pressure in Docklands.

IdleJon

jambalaya – Member

However overall we had the best of the refs decisions, had the Aussies run a block on BOD for a try there would be pages of protest here.

It wasn’t a block. The ball was passed behind the player, yes, but at no time did a ball carrier pass behind the ‘blocker’. It was simply a successful decoy and poor defending. The Australian didn’t need to defend against a player who very obviously didn’t have the ball in his hands.

If we are going to feel guilty about it why not talk about the blatant forward pass that led to a Folau try. Lets not have rubbish about the passer’s hands moving backwards* 🙄 – the ball went forward. The lines on the pitch showed that. So they scored a try which in other circumstances would have been disallowed. 😉

* as the commentators were talking about. And let’s face it, if the ball had been passed forward over the midway line, for instance, the pass would have been ruled forward regardless of where the passer’s hands were moving.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Aussies used lots of blockers, sorry dummy runners themselves, so there can be little complaint with BOD. That was mild compared what goes on the whole time in most senior rugby. Indeed before that BOD was blocked by two/three Aussie dummy runners. Perhaps officials need to look at blocking a bit more, be it dummy runners or people blocking runners chasing high kicks etc. The All Blacks are past masters at this and “creating” gaps in the oppo!

Interesting article posted above, not sure how much is written with benefit of hindsight. But if the Aussies ran that game plan, and nullified Phillips then that was pretty smart. I was more relieved that we actually won the line out ball even if the throws were hardly down the middle!

Duckman – as a ref, what did you make of the time taken to set the scrums. Isn’t almost impossible to hold that long without someone engaging? Still seems he was looking to ping, rather than looking for successful scrums?

Nasty stamp that – hard to see how that can be anything other than a ban? Amazed Spikey missed that in front of him. Obviously calmed down since Ellis Park final test!!!!

Cougar, is the main culprit having “some quiet time to think’?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If we are going to feel guilty about it why not talk about the blatant forward pass that led to a Folau try. Lets not have rubbish about the passer’s hands moving backwards* – the ball went forward. The lines on the pitch showed that. So they scored a try which in other circumstances would have been disallowed.

Words of the TMO – The ball left his hands not going forward (or something equally lawyer speak for sort of)

Anyway forgot to say cheers to Cougar (I’m sure he’s still reading along – if not someone report this post to let him know) for reffing this thread like a rugby game lots of warnings and chances before the yellowbanhammercard comes out and explaining his thinking.

anagallis_arvensis

Pass to Folou wasn’t forward even though it went forward. See here for the explanation.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg[/video]

hitman
    Free Member

Well done for picking up the actual stamping incident – AA?
    Don’t think they will ban the Australian captain – probably a warning or inconclusive evidence – remember NZ 05?
    I’m a big fan of JD but we need some go forward in the midfield so either JR or Tuilagi back in the centre with BOD.
    I would replace Phillips and the back row needs to be changed – replace Croft unless we intend to start throwing to the back.
    I would bring in SOB and Faletau, assuming they keep Warburton.
    Otherwise same team, except possibly Bowe for Cuthbert.

anagallis_arvensis

Well done for picking up the actual stamping incident – AA?

I nick all the gifs from gwladrugby.com

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good clip that AA, thanks.

anagallis_arvensis

the twattersphere reporting that POC has broken his hand and is going home and Court has been called up as cover for Corbisero 😥

RichPenny
    Free Member

What’s the range of punishment for that kind of offence? Would be a bit of a shocker if it gets withdrawn for inconclusive evidence. To me it looks like he lines it up then practically crosses his legs trying to put the boot in. Maybe retaliation for the 1st minute injury?

hitman
    Free Member

the twattersphere reporting that POC has broken his hand and is going home and Court has been called up as cover for Corbisero

Really hope that’s not true……POC is a massive loss but also Corbs as we need a decent scrummaging loose head. I hope that Grant is as good as some people have been making out

anagallis_arvensis

“Over there my boy”

anagallis_arvensis

doesn’t look like POc is worried about his hand here! Poor old Beale

anagallis_arvensis

If Croft had taken out O’Conner I think it is then North wouldn’t have tracked him inside. Genia does Phillips like a kipper but Genia is bloody amazing in open play.
    Here Croft wanders out of the line and does nothing, doesn’t lay a hand on anyone and leaves North all at sea.

anagallis_arvensis

Maybe retaliation for the 1st minute injury?

retaliation for Lealifano being shit at tackling?

jambalaya
    Free Member

What about the “chase” from Phillips – he’s strolling at the half way line. You’re number 1 priority is your opposite number and Phillips just lets him go. If you roll it back to the infringement Phillips is waving his arms trying to get a decision and just looks half asleep when Genia takes the tap.

loum
    Free Member

Would be sad If POC’s out.
    But no surprise if he played on with a broken hand, saying nothing.

Read something similar about Ashley-Cooper. Reports say he dislocated his shoulder.
    10 minutes before he went off.

Ben tapui, jesse mogg and George Smith called up.

RichPenny
    Free Member

A-a, you are crediting a forward with the ability to link two events together and come to a conclusion. I am gambling that Horwills thought process was more like:

Ozzie down!!!! Me kick Lion head!!!

IdleJon

Did anyone else notice in the post-match interviews that Will Greenwood seemed to be taller than both George North and Cuthbert?

Just looked up Greenwood on wiki and he is supposedly 6ft4″, whereas I’m sure that I saw a stat early in the match saying that Cuthbert was 6ft6″!

wrecker
    Free Member

Attack didn’t look too dangerous either. Perhaps we should have taken a different coach?

uwe-r
    Free Member

Horwill cleared! FFs!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

The citing official must have looked at a different tape. I find that a very odd decision from the clip AA posted. He would be advised not to linger too long at the bottom of a ruck in the 2nd test (not that I would condone violence).

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just watched it. Didn’t think that Croft was great, thought that Warns and Heaslip were good. Thought that BOD was pretty good too daft couple of early pens though.

Wasn’t blown away by Sexton tbh, good kicking game-the Aussies aren’t great under a high ball are they!, but didn’t think that he helped out the backs when he’d got ball in hand….that said, Spike probably didn’t help matters either……Young’s and Farrell to start next week anyone 🙂

Shame to hear about POC.

anagallis_arvensis

“After hearing all the evidence I could not find that when James Horwill’s right foot came into glancing contact with Alun Wyn Jones’ face, that he Horwill was acting recklessly,” said Judicial Officer, Nigel Hampton QC.

“I found that I could not reject as being implausible or improbable Horwill’s explanation that as he was driving forward with his right leg raised he was spun off balance through the impact of Lions players entering the ruck from the opposite side.

“In an endeavour to regain his balance Horwill brought his right leg to the ground unknowing that Alun Wyn Jones’ head was in that area, due to having his sight impeded by the presence of Michael Hooper and Tom Croft who were beneath him and over the top of Alun Wyn Jones. Due to these reasons I cannot uphold the citing.”

anagallis_arvensis

anagallis_arvensis

no one regains their balance by bringing their feet closer together!

anagallis_arvensis

Attack didn’t look too dangerous either. Perhaps we should have taken a different coach?

almost certainly, Howlers is shite!
    Its been quite noticeable on re-watching that the ref totally gave up on pinging the early engage after the first few scrums. Adam wasn’t bothered he conceded the hit and then drove over his man. Cole however lost the hits and was always going backwards from there.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Madness that explanation, it’s like he hasn’t looked at the tape. If you are going to accept the excuse irrespective of the damming evidence what’s the point!

anagallis_arvensis

@brianmoore666 
    Horwill – to the judicial officer, Nigel Hampton, who ruled Horwill was trying to regain his feet, not stamp – You are a **** idiot.

wonder who will replace POC? Parling or Evans judging by who is playing tuesday.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Gray in and SOB for Croft would be my choice.

anagallis_arvensis

I could go with that but Grey and Parling start on tuesday which suggests Evans will start. He is the nearest like for like replacement but isnt good enough imo.

Kryton57

It’s obvious to anyone that video shows deliberation and force being out through the leg. He should have been banned.

Could be an angry game next week.

Tom-B
    Free Member

No not an Evans fan myself.

wrecker
    Free Member

Evans has been good so far but it’s prob grey.
    Could that Aussie rush defence (did someone say offside?!?) have been caught out with more up and unders? Bags of space behind, and it came good when sexton tried it.

mikey3
    Free Member

world youth final just starting,on s4c aswell for those without sky.

duckman

I would think Parling will start,which would retain croft at line….Or Grey will be in,which would allow SOB to start. I think the defence will be pinged to bits next week so maybe concentrate on your attacking players, which Croft undoubtedly is better at. I don’t see why Grey fell behind Parling for any reason other than he was injured;now he is fit(although he was pish last week)

wrecker
    Free Member

Eh? Parling is the best line out jumper of the lot! Grey is much better everywhere else though.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Parling and AWJ to start? Grey as first sub?

Tom-B
    Free Member

1000. Whoop.

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,496 total)

The topic ‘summer rugby’ is closed to new replies.