Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,496 total)
  • summer rugby
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Welsh dual-code legend Gareth Thomas has revealed his love for Rugby League, describing it as by far the toughest of the two codes.

Thomas made 100 appearances for Wales as a Union player before switching codes to sign for Crusaders.

The convert was rewarded for an assured start to his League career with a call-up to the Dragons squad, where he played an integral role in the nation’s qualification for the Four Nations.

Having helped earn Wales a place at international Rugby League’s top table, Thomas took the decision to hang up his boots, though he remains directly connected to League through his role as an official ambassador for Rugby League World Cup 2013.

“Whether or not I switched at the right time, and if I should have done it later, will always be the million dollar question,” he told the RLWC2013 Ezine, when asked if he regretted not switching sooner.

“When I turned to League I didn’t realise how much of an amazing game it is, and how much fun it is to play.

“But when I look back on my career I don’t want to be thinking about what I might have done with hindsight. I’ve got some brilliant memories from representing my country in League and Union”
    “I made some great friends and achieved some great things. We went to France and went to the Four Nations the year after.

“I can look back on my career and say that there are things I wish I’d done and things I wish I hadn’t done, but ultimately I speak today as a proud Welshman who achieved his sporting goals.”

Thomas was in good company following his decision to play Rugby League, training alongside fellow countryman Gil Dudson, Lloyd White and Elliot Kear, plus a host of other young Welsh stars, at Crusaders.
    But the star of Big Brother and Dancing On Ice admits the first few weeks were tough.

“I got absolutely grilled at my first training session with Crusaders,” he said.

“I got the phonecall from Iestyn telling me to come down for about 2.00pm, and I thought ‘that’s OK, I’ve watched the sport before and I know I can do it’, so I went to the gym before, and rocked up ready for training.

“I have to say I have never been so tired in my entire life. I knew that it was a case of proving myself again and that was the determination I had.

“But in no way, shape or form did I realise it would be that tough. From that day forward I began to understand just how tough the game is.

“You have to be mentally tough, and capable of putting your body on the line for the guy standing next to you.”

Having played at the highest level in League and Union, Thomas is well-qualified to compare the two codes.
    And the Bridgend-born icon says there’s no competition when it comes to intensity and toughness.

“Without a doubt Rugby League was the most physically demanding sport, and that’s statistically speaking, without the need for argument.

“I started off as a winger and also played centre, and in a top Rugby Union game, like a Heineken Cup or World Cup, I’d make ten carries a game if I was lucky and six or seven tackles.

“In your average Rugby League game you could pretty much triple every action, so statistically it has to be much more physically demanding.

“When I played a game of Rugby League I’d look at the clock and think ‘where have those minutes gone?’ because you just don’t have time to check anything,” he continued.

“So in terms of action I’d take Rugby League over Union any day of the week. If I have more action I have more input into the game.

“I love both games, but, more than anything, Union is ruled by the rules and League is ruled by the game. In League you play the game, in Union you play the rules.”

IdleJon

Roger Lewis is trying to wreck rugby again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22814824

Lewis claims hosts Australia will bank most of the income generated by the nine games they host.

“This is the subject of much debate at the moment, in terms of the monies generated by the Lions,” said Lewis.

“The majority, by a country mile, of the revenue generated goes to the host country, so in this case it’s Australia.

“For the home unions, the shareholders of Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales, the numbers are relatively modest.

“You are in the low figures of millions to be shared between the four of us.

“So it is not a significant revenue generator.”

The Lions tour of Australia is reportedly expected to generate £40m for the Australian Rugby Union, while the Lions are expected to share a pot of £6m, generated largely by sponsorship.

I’m surprised that the home pot – if true, which as it’s Roger Lewis I have my own thoughts – is so low. Even if HSBC provided all of that £6m it seems like peanuts for the amount of exposure they get.

ElVino

Happily I enjoy both but as I live in the south of england the opportunity to see league live at the highest level is pretty limited so I mainly watch union. Watching league live for the first time was a revelation as up to that it just looked like two sets of big blokes running into each other. TV gives a pretty narrow perspective. I actually wish there was only one code with the all the best players playing and the best parts of both games.

duckman

Is it true League used to have 15 a side(ie the correct amount)but cut that to 13 cos they are skint? 😈

Idlejon, those figures suggest that outside of the tests, ARU have been short changing fans and clubs. £40 million to put out your largely 2xv’s against the lions must be nice.

wrecker
    Free Member

Please don’t feed the idiot. He’ll just keep coming back.
    If he wants to talk about league; he can start a ****ing thread about it and **** off from this one.

duckman

Wrecker; take a step back from the coffee pot. 😉 Is the u20’s on the tellybox anywhere? That should be some game, bearing in mind who each side beat.

toys19
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

Well I suppose that reading constant sniping between zokes, toys19 and a_a is becoming a chore. Perhaps if we can get them banned then the rest of us, plus others who are bored silly by them and don’t post because of them, might be able to talk about rugby?

QUE?? I have only posted on this thread twice, and that was this morning.
    I try to avoid rugby threads now because of exactly this. Normally whatever I say is judged arrogant, so I felt what I had observed needed commenting on.

Meanwhile, in lieu of upsetting you, I promise not to post again ok?

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Duckman, League has been playing with 13 players since 1895. How that’s got to do with ‘cos they are skint’, your tense suggests that you think it’s a recent revelation.

The RFL have posted profits for 13 years now, with record profits in 2011 and are on target to post yet another record this year.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s on sky sports on sunday duckman. 1745 springs to mind?
    No patience ATM, been dealing with fools at work all day and we have enough in this thread already 😀

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

This is fun! So easy to win every single argument, you know why don’t you my yawnion loving chums!

Because i’m right, and you all know it deep down.

Keep up the ‘troll’ comments, that’s what people on forums say about people they lose arguments with.

zokes
    Free Member

Meanwhile, in lieu of upsetting you, I promise not to post again ok?

I wouldn’t worry, he’s currently exhibiting exactly the sort of behaviour he seems to despise in us.

wrecker
    Free Member

Paddypower have the Wallabies as favorites for saturday and the series (I think. I don’t really understand betting odds).

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

All i’ve done is point out that the sport you’re all pulling your puds over is boring, no one’s disagreed yet, just reverted to name calling.

Nowhere in the AUP does it state that you can’t disagree or voice an opinion to a thread, it’s not my fault your all getting teary eyed because someone disagrees with you and voices an opinion that none of you can correct or try to counter.

I like fun, this is fun.

zokes
    Free Member

Paddypower have the Wallabies as favorites for saturday and the series (I think. I don’t really understand betting odds).

I would have no idea how to bet currently. The first side smashed some very poor, under-strength opposition in the Western Farce, had a pretty close call against the Reds, and the seconds got played off the park (not that the scoreline reflected it) by the Brumbies’ seconds. The one thing we’ve not actually seen much of is first team Wallabies, which makes it pretty hard to guess how good / bad they actually are at the moment.

wrecker
    Free Member

Considering that some of teh rpovincial sides have been without their internationals, I think they’ve been training for quite a while.
    Had a bit of help, too;
    http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/referee-steve-walsh-assisting-wallabies-at-training-as-they-look-to-combat-lions-obstruction-plays/story-e6frfkp9-1226664904892

duckman

You had to do it wrecker…you have gone and mentioned his name….Freedom of Cardiff in the Welsh honours list I heard.

zokes
    Free Member

Freedom of Cardiff in the Welsh honours list I heard.

Is that really an honour though?

Mind you, if they didn’t like him, they’d give him the freedom of Swansea, I suppose. 😉 *

*note: this is a wink, hopefully it helps avoid yesterday’s debacle

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Australia have not played a match in a while which may be in the Lions favour although they have obviously been in camp for a number of weeks.

Think it will be a close game with lots of pens and not many tries unfortunately.

wrecker
    Free Member

You had to do it wrecker…you have gone and mentioned his name

It wasn’t me guv! It was news.com/au

loum
    Free Member

Berrick Barnes; Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Christian Lealiifano, Digby Ioane; James O’Connor, Will Genia, Wycliff Palu, Michael Hooper, Ben Mowen; Kane Douglas, James Horwill (captain); Ben Alexander, Stephen Moore, Benn Robinson.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/another-giant-leap-as-folau-gets-test-callup-20130619-2oibi.html#

duckman

That is quite risky using a ref to help you “understand” plays as different refs do different things.EG Walsh plays piles of advantage. I wonder if it is smoke and mirrors to bring attention to the perceived obstructions from the Lions. Got yesterdays game taped, not sure I will watch it now as I am starting to get excited about the weekend. Whoever plays on the wing against that Aussie back 3 is going to be busy…Whether it is Croft OR Haskill (boom-tish)

zokes
    Free Member

The only tactic Walsh plays is one that ensures he’s centre of attention.

loum
    Free Member

Have any of you who like a bet seen anywhere that’s offering odds on “Series top try scorer”?

I’ve only seen “Lions top test try scorer” – Headed by North , Cuthbert, and Halfpee.
    Would like to see the odds including the Ozzies.

IdleJon

Love it, the Ozzies whinging about Lions obstructing! 🙄 😆

An interesting Australian side though. Has Barnes played much at 15?

zokes – Member
    they’d give him the freedom of Swansea, I suppose. :wink:*

*note: this is a wink, hopefully it helps avoid yesterday’s debacle

That smiley is me poking you in the eye after impugning my lovely home city. 😉 (There’s nowhere better for sitting around the bay, eating Joe’s icecream and enjoying the sunshine which is what I’ve just been doing. 8) But tomorrow it’ll be normal miserable Wales… )

duckman

IJ; I am sure any of the Lions who have played for Ospreys share the above sentiment,as they look over towards the opera house…..(cough)
    Barnes has played 15 as much as O’Connor has at 10. Battle of the Nines is the one I am looking forward to,Phillips loves a scrap and he won’t have far to look… And BoD rolling it back one last time,one of the best of all time with a player as smart as Davies beside him, all that is missing is the force of nature that is North in that back line as well.

Ok IJ,that was an unfair comparison, Swansea doesn’t have and opera house.

wrecker
    Free Member

Swansea doesn’t have and opera house.

Ah, but Sydney doesn’t have Swansea uni…….

zokes
    Free Member

Ah, but Sydney doesn’t have Swansea uni…….

It has Sydney Uni, which is quite a nice place to spend some time on a sunny day….

Kryton57

I’m excited too.

Anyone know of a link that’ll allow me to watch it live in Barbados?

duckman

Kryton57 – Member
    I’m excited too.

Anyone know of a link that’ll allow me to watch it live in Barbados?

Piss…..off….

anagallis_arvensis

British & Irish Lions starting XV: Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Alex Cuthbert (Wales), Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland), Jonathan Davies (Wales), George North (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Mike Phillips (Wales); Alex Corbisiero (England), Tom Youngs (England), Adam Jones (Wales), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), Paul O’Connell (Ireland), Tom Croft (England), Sam Warburton (Wales, capt), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).
    Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Wales), Mako Vunipola (England), Dan Cole (England), Geoff Parling (England), Dan Lydiate (Wales), Ben Youngs (England), Owen Farrell (England), Sean Maitland (Scotland).

zokes
    Free Member

Piss…..off….

😆

zokes
    Free Member

British & Irish Lions starting XV: Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Alex Cuthbert (Wales), Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland), Jonathan Davies (Wales), George North (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Mike Phillips (Wales); Alex Corbisiero (England), Tom Youngs (England), Adam Jones (Wales), Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), Paul O’Connell (Ireland), Tom Croft (England), Sam Warburton (Wales, capt), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).
    Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Wales), Mako Vunipola (England), Dan Cole (England), Geoff Parling (England), Dan Lydiate (Wales), Ben Youngs (England), Owen Farrell (England), Sean Maitland (Scotland).

So, despite the vilification I received from a couple of the usual suspects for my tongue-in-cheek comment the other day, it seems Gatland shares my view…

Tom-B
    Free Member

Corbs is the only real surprise there for me. **** me we’re scraping the barrel when Cuthbert is a test Lion!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Can’t believe Lydiate made the bench good as he can be, he is the most out of form backrow on tour. O’brien must be wondering what he can do.

Digby will be delighted to line up against Cuthbert.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Better hope plan A works, i know the Lions have injuries but with the possible exception of Vunipola i don’t see anyone on the bench that can come on and influence the game.

duckman

we’re scraping the barrel when Cuthbert is a test Lion!

Better than Maitland, his only other current option.Either way, Iione would win that battle, he is a quality,quality player. I think Grey and SoB are unlucky not to be on the bench,I suspect that there has been some selections made on the back of the defeat, and the test team was not nailed on.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Just realised that Grey and SOB aren’t on the bench! Both very unlucky imo. Agree re Cuthbert. Is Manu injured then? He’d have been a good player to bring on around the hour mark.

duckman

I think he was in the same boat as Roberts, close but not quite there. He is probably hedging his bets,if North breaks then he will have Manu standing beside the touchline a lot in training the next week. Actually, where is the backs cover for Sat? Farrell,Youngs and Maitland only play one position. If fit I would have expected another centre; BoD is a bit fragile these days.( Cocoa/blanket/comfy seat after 50 mins)

Scamper
    Free Member

Farrell, at least for his club, plays plenty at centre and Maitland has similar experience at fullback/wing and on Tour.

Give Cuthbert a rest Tom, post England thrashing he was pencilled in for a test spot by most, and one slightly iffy game later…

Viewing 40 posts - 721 through 760 (of 1,496 total)

The topic ‘summer rugby’ is closed to new replies.