Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Summer Hols Price Hike Way Beyond Sterling Fall?
  • shooterman

Has anyone else noticed the price of summer holidays in Europe have rocketed well beyond any drop in the value of sterling?

We go to the same hotel in Italy, at the same time, every year. The price this year has risen by £4,000.

Factoring in the drop on the value of sterling only, it would have risen by £1,000 approx.

Is there price gouging going on? Anyone else noticed an inexplicable spike in prices?

grahamt1980

Probably because they think that people are to thick to realise they are taking the piss.
    The other part is to insulate themselves against more currency variations once they do actually trigger a50

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

What is that as a percentage?

scruff9252

Is that the pay 100% of holiday today price or pay x% next summer?

I would imagine European holiday providers are hedging against the pound falling though the floor again to basically worthless when a50 is finally announced.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

Brexshite innit.

Idiots are idiots.

Did you honestly think this WOULDN’T happen??

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ll have to do a staycation, just like the Brexshiteers want you too.

I hear the Costa de Skeggie or Ila’s Del Sheppy is good that time of year.

😛

We really ought to get a two finger salute smilie.

julians
    Free Member

Its partly the value of the pound but mostly ita because the middle east (mainly egypt) and turkey is fairly risky at the moment,so everyone wants to go to Europe,so high demand equals high prices

nasher
    Free Member

Also the don’t forget the value of the Euro has fallen due to the brexit referendum and everything is more expensive here, the pound has fallen even further so a double whammy for the brits..

Opec have reduced output so even higher prices on oil which relates to higher delivery manufacturing costs etc…

You need to check rates against the dollar/yen, and you can see how far it has fallen…

Edukator
    Free Member

Year on year inflation in France is 0.4% in France. House prices are stagnant where I live, hotel prices haven’t moved significantly. I was in Italy over the Summer, prices were similar to France.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah, but you live in Europe don’t you?

We live on an outcast island 51% full of ignorance, prejudice and lack of intelligence…

surfer
    Free Member

Its gone up BY £4000…. How much is the holiday?

scotroutes

#humblebrag

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m pleased to note that Centre Parcs in France is exactly the same price as this summer. (Admittedly its in Euros).

Is the OP spending £10k on a hotel? Jesus wept.

carlosg
    Free Member

Have a year off , once the European travel sector realises how much money they’re loosing by pricing the UK out of the holiday market they’ll come back down.

I read last month that bookings for European breaks for 2017 were 54% down on the same time in 2016.

And the Italian banks aren’t far off going pop!

scotroutes

Folk planning on booking staycations for 2017 would be best advised to do so soon. Lots of foreign visitors are looking at exchange rates and deciding that the UK will be good vfm.

shooterman

A bit more info.

I book the holiday through a company in the Republic of Ireland so I’m paying in Euro from the outset. The holiday, depending on Euro fluctuations, usually costs £4,500 – £5,000. This year it’s up to Euro 10,014

The fall in the value of sterling against the Euro can’t explain that hike?

scotroutes

If you paid in Euros last year and are doing the same this year, how much has the price in Euros increased?

jam-bo

Tried a different hotel. Maybe it’s full.

mooman
    Free Member

Bikebouy on her period today?

AD

We need Jamba to explain how good this actually is! He’ll be able to put a positive spin on it for you 🙂

shooterman

Just checked my account on the operator’s site. €6060 last year and €10,014 this year!

scotroutes

Nothing at all to do with Sterling then

geoffj

Time to get my arse in gear with the holiday let if the uk hold are going to be tops next year.

MoreCashThanDash

Don’t tell the Scots, we are heading north next summer. 😐

scotroutes

You got booked then. Where did you decide?

Edukator
    Free Member

How about Northern Spain instead? Comillas and/or Castro Urdiales.

MoreCashThanDash

We are staying in a posh shed lodge near Drumnadrochit. Can’t wait!

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

How about Northern Spain instead? Comillas and/or Castro Urdiales.

Shhh!

cchris2lou

UK bookings are down since June.
    And too many hotels in London is also pushing prices down.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Reality Bites.

😆

shooterman

You say reality bites as if I voted leave!

Anywhere in particular in northern Spain?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Summer Hols Price Hike Way Beyond Sterling Fall?’ is closed to new replies.