Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Summer Holiday Mtb Destination in Wales
  • fergal
    Free Member

Looking for recommendations for a mtb holiday destination in Wales or near (long myndd also sounds good) camping, a mixture of good natural trails and trail centres are what I am looking for to keep the family entertained, have heard of the doethie valley, but not sure what else is around there, thanks for any advice.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you go out to Brechfa / Doethie Valley (see link below) you have the beaches and Pembrokeshire National Park to keep the family amused (bit of a drive) and you’re near enough to the Brecon Beacons. More trail centres in South Wales than North, but bigger mountains in the North. For the mix/family holiday bit I’d probably favour South Wales – Afan/BPW/Brecon Beacons/ Crickhowell Loops. As for Long Myndd I don’t think it’s a week’s worth of riding/family holiday certainly not as much as in Wales.

Bike Brechfa

fergal
    Free Member

Thanks for that, Brechfa looks just the ticket, any good camping in the area, that is not to crowded.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

One of our favourite spots:

Home

Lovely spot in Mawddach estuary. Lower camping field allows fires. Upper field if you need hookup. They also have self catering,

Direct access onto Mawddach trail for family rides (good pub a 10 min, traffic free ride away). Nice beaches nearby and plenty of family friendly activities in Barmouth and the like.

Riding is great – it’s possible to ride Cadair Idris from the door, just a short drive to Coed y Brenin. Mach trails are not much further, and loads of other natural options locally. Rest of Snowdonia is all within easy reach too.

John and Sarah are great hosts and can offer loads of advice on stuff to do locally.

faustus

Brechfa is a bit of a drive to Pembrokeshire really you’re closer to the sea at Aberaeron. I wouldn’t recommend taking the family down the Doethie valley, as it is quite committing and isolated (and technical in placs). But near Brechfa is Cwm Rhaeadr which is a nice little trail centre, and Coed Trallwm. Plenty of bridleway trails in the area, and castles and stuff. Nice and quiet too.

EDIT – but the Mawddach estuary is lovely and on the sea…!

senorj

I’d say Machynlleth is an excellent base for a family to mtb and generally explore.

Stoner
    Free Member

machynlleth +1. more than just biking to keep the rest of the family occupied.

Colin-T

I’m from west Wales and I love riding Brechfa but I would say Machynlleth makes a better family destination.

Although…the Gower Peninsula is a decent Southern alternative. Natural riding, easy access to Afan and Glyncorrwg and plenty of opther stuff for the family too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Summer Holiday Mtb Destination in Wales’ is closed to new replies.