Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • summer 2010, road bike, C2C in a day
  • d0ugal
    Free Member

a few weeks back i did the coast to coast on the mountain bike with a couple of friends (well they were at the start. 🙂 )

next summer i have the crazy idea of doing to coast to coast on the road bike in a day

route would be approx 185miles
    ride would be on the approx longest day

idea would be to travel to st bees on the friday night, meet at the st bees car park before dawn on the saturday (3 – 4 am mid summer???) then ride as a group at a steady pace.

would be entirely on-road.

my mrs would follow across in car and meet us at 60mi and 120mi for a quick break, re-fuel, and re-water.

stay that robin hoods bay on the sat night

return home on the sunday

just an idea at the moment.
    anyone interested?

zaskar
    Free Member

Sounds awesome.

You must be in shape-how did you prepare for something like that? ride and ride?!

d0ugal
    Free Member

have a road bike
    be able to ride for ~ 18hours at a steady pace. just spin the pedals. i envisage a social affair rather than a time trial type effort.
    with a large group the effort will be shared, but there will be still be a fair few climbs

miketually
    Free Member

I'm thinking of doing the Sustrans Whitehaven to Sunderland C2C route in a day next year. It's just the idea of riding into Sunderland late in the day that's putting me off 🙂

will
    Free Member

Sounds like right fun! Think it would be easily doable though 🙂

grahamh
    Free Member

Don't do it, he's a nutter.. 😀

AndyP
    Free Member

aye it's easily do-able in a day esp on a road bike.

paul4stones

Mike – go to Tynemouth, much more salubrious.

It's much easier than the Kielder 100 tho.

colnagokid

Watch it Tully! 😉
    I could be up for that and you'll be safe with me

miketually
    Free Member

Mike – go to Tynemouth, much more salubrious.

I was thinking of doing that – my sister lives in the Toon, so I could have a change of clothes left with her for wearing on the train home.. The temptation to turn right at Consett and ride home would be very strong though 🙂

It's much easier than the Kielder 100 tho.

Not a bad warm up though 🙂 I was also thinking of riding the W2W west from Darlington to get to the start 🙂

d0ugal
    Free Member

I will start a face book group and work out a route over the winter

watch it G

damn my having to re-register
    grrr 👿
    least my old name was available. 😀

d0ugal
    Free Member

Have started a facebook page where those of us mad / keen enough to do the ride can plan / arrange

Others are welcome to join to tell us how insane / crazy we are

Will add more details in due course

Facebook C2C Link

MrGreedy

Hmmm, will keep my eye on this. I'm probably going to be in France then but if not it sounds like it could be crazy enough to be fun.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

miketually – Premier Member
    I'm thinking of doing the Sustrans Whitehaven to Sunderland C2C route in a day next year. It's just the idea of riding into Sunderland late in the day that's putting me off

We got round that by setting off in the afternoon and arriving around lunchtime. Riding straight through the night, actually going somewhere (not laps) and through dawn is an amazing feeling.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Just joined the group.

Sounds fun and a bad way 😆

Dimmadan
    Free Member

The hardest thing will be training. Sitting in the saddle for 8 hours is bloody difficult when doing off road marathons but 18 hours.

I cannot even start to imagine how I would train for that.

It may be worth riding for 4 – 6 hours without cycle shorts to teach your bum what 18 hours with them on is like.

Smee
    Free Member

Should be looking more at 12 hours riding time for that one. 10mph is almost track standing a road bike.

crazy-legs

I'd go with the starting in mid-afternoon and riding through the night suggestion. Quieter and cooler although you do run the risk of needing to bail and nowhere being open! As with most of these kind of things, the actual riding is the easy part, it's the logistics/support and also your mental state – being able to ride through the parts where your body can go on but your head is telling you to stop and go to sleep.

I've done the Dunwich Dyanmo a few times, it's a 130 mile ride from E.London out to the Suffolk coast starting about 9.30pm ish and (when you factor in the ride to the start and the ride from Dunwich to Ipswich station) that works out as about 200 miles in one night.

rootes1

A chap ran the c2c in 48hrs so you should be fine. Doing the c2c this year with my best mate on our Bromptons – planning on 3 -4 days leisurely

ton

the yorkshire charity cyclist's do a coast to coast every year.
    morecombe to scarborough, 150 miles.
    i have done it twice. it is a cracking route through the dales and ny moors.
    took me 13 hours

roblerner
    Free Member

I'm maybe attending, sounds interesting!

d0ugal
    Free Member

i will start planning a route in shortly

i'm open to suggestions on the route, i'll try to include national parks and high-road-passes
    i will create a memory map trace of the routye

as for logistics/support
    I will provide the date, location and meet/start time
    it will then be up to groups to be there on time
    I will do as much planning as possible, but I won't book accom for all.
    I will collect contact numbers for all attending and ensure we have sufficient spares spread across the group
    Hope that doesn't seem too unreasonable

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘summer 2010, road bike, C2C in a day’ is closed to new replies.