Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • suits
  • peter1979
    Free Member

I’ve not owned a suit for years but I’ve got a funeral coming up and could do with getting one. It doesn’t need to be a black suit as the ladies are going wearing colourful outfits so I can get away with grey or whatever.
    So, budget 200 quid ish. What’s a decent suit available from high street shops that I can go and try on?
    What’s the difference between tailored and slim fit and is wood blend worth the extra? Should I get a waistcoat?

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much call do you have for a suit beyond this one event? Is the other use for this suit likely to be more or less formal? What’s your build? I like a waistcoat but it’s just more material on an already stocky frame.

mariner
    Free Member

The best clothing these days is ebay or charity shop unless you want expensive plastic stuff.

peter1979
    Free Member

I’ve managed to not bother with a suit for quite a few years usually just wearing smart shirt, trousers and tie at most events like weddings etc. But I’m a pallbearer at this upcoming funeral and the other chaps are wearing suits so id like to make an effort.
    I’d describe my build as something like reasonably well built/dad bod who never really looks good wearing a suit. 5’10” and normally wear large. Weigh around 85kg, large chest, short legs. My last suit was from marks and sparks, polyester Jobbie that just felt rubbish/cheap to wear.
    I guess this suit will have to last me a while and will only see action at formal type events.

Keva
    Free Member

just hire one if you’re hardly ever going to wear it.

mrmo
    Free Member

If it is only going to be once, might as well hire. The alternative that might work, last suit I bought was from the M&S outlet at Cheshire oaks, alternative outlets exist. that was about £200 down from £400. It is neat enough for interviews and the like.

Oblongbob

M&S might be best bet as you can try lots on. Usually a decent selection and quality. Other options I use for work suits are Charles Tyrwhitt or TM Lewin – usually in the sales. But if you only need once I’d definitely hire rather than have a suit I didn’t need taking up room in the house.

greenskin
    Free Member

Next do some nice suits in that price range.

WhiteRussian
    Free Member

I’d agree with M&S suits, good value for money decent enough wool suit for around £200. The Savile row suits are particularly decent. I have had a few over the years and not been disappointed with the quality. I need to buy another as sadly, I am a bit too big for my older suits and need something for upcoming interviews.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Is there a Slater’s near you?

convert

Following with interest. I’m maybe in need of another suit for a job interview that I might get at the end of the week. It’s a jacket and tie environment day to day (something I’ve avoided for 15 years but needs must) so I’m think it needs to be a suit on interview day.

I’ve lost 22kg since September and am back to my skinny 32/34 inch waist,44+ inch chest with broad shoulders freaky looking former self. I look a bag of shite in a suit – like a clothes hanger on legs or a 16yr old wearing his dad’s suit at a yts interview. Answer is probably to buy for my shoulders and get it Tailored but no time….

infidel
    Free Member

Lewin or Tyrwhitt are good options. If also look at the Oliver Brown sale there are some nice suits at 245. Only comment is that their jackets tend to be quite long.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Answer is probably to buy for my shoulders and get it Tailored but no time….

Have a look at John Lewis, they sell the jacket and trousers separately. Really good quality for the money, about £250 for jacket and trousers.

convert

Have a look at John Lewis, they sell the jacket and trousers separately

TBH I’d expect everywhere to do that. What I need is for a tailor/seamstress to put darts in the jacket to remove extra from the lower half so it’s more fitted. I need a 44 or 46 for my upper torso and a 38 or 40 for my lower torso. Or I look like a marquee billowing about in the wind.

I can sort of do it myself (ie I can use a sewing machine and have done some pattern cutting, shaped my own blocks etc). Maybe I should just hack into an old suit and see what happens!

djflexure

I like Holland Esq – bit different
    Buy in sales and sign up for discount codes if you want a deal
    Otherwise you could get lucky in TKMaxx

devbrix
    Free Member

Buy suits and trousers from Reiss as I know they will fit me and are good quality. Never paid full-price as like a lot of ailing retailers they have perpetual DHF-esq sales. Got a really nice pure wool suit for £120 just before Christmas.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Jeff Banks aren’t bad, especially if you are near a store in an outlet village.

Avoid the ‘stvdio’ range; that’s for children and narrow back scrawns with legs like matchsticks.

mattyfez

Last one I bought was from moss bros. I quite like the fit and material. Can’t remember what I paid, would have been under £200. Sales assistant was good finding the right fit.

deserter
    Free Member

For my Grans funeral I went down to Matalan and got the job lot, I thought I looked good which is all that matters I suppose, they had loads of sizes and you just grabbed whatever fit

mudfish

I got a suit the missus approves of (no mean feat) from Debenhams Brighton, they had a few manufacturers ranges, I guess most decent sized Debenhams will too. This one was from Racing Green (lightweight but with wool in it so it doesn’t crease as easily) – Debenhams do Hammond and Co as well which are well designed IMO, that’s Saville Row Tailor and Sewing Bee personality’s Patrick Grant’s fusion range.

Grant also created the very sound UK made Community Clothing range too, seems like a great initiative, buy up downtime in clothing factories up North to help them stay afloat and manufacture a simple range of stuff.
    Good designs and reasonable prices. Some great women’s stuff too.
    I noticed their chinos are same price as French Connections Far East versions. That’s got to be fair for made in UK?
    I am thinking this is what Howies ought to have been ideally.
    examples: https://communityclothing.co.uk/collections/menswear/products/mensstraightcutjeans-raw-selvedge-indigo?variant=21392280584246
    https://communityclothing.co.uk/search?q=jacket

ElShalimo

+1 TM Lewin

Trouser alterations are an additional £7/8

They often do bundle deals so you can get suit shirts and ties for a good price. They’ll honour the online deals in-store

lunge

Slaters, no question.
    They have a good selection and will do tailoring for you, it’s free and they’ll do it quickly too if you talk nicely to them!
    I wouldn’t get hung up on 2 or 3 piece, either will be fine, pick the suit you like most. I’d buy mid-grey or dark blue, either is versatile enough for funerals, weddings, interviews, etc.
    White shirt, suitable tie, good black shoes.
    Sorted.

andy4d

Yep, another vote for SLATERS here.

regenesis
    Free Member

“Looks around for the bird Harry married, legs-a-kimbo in a filing room”
    Is dissapoints…..

crapjumper
    Free Member

Slaters from me too

jimdubleyou

I need a 44 or 46 for my upper torso and a 38 or 40 for my lower torso.

Try an ultra slim fit from M&S – they might look a bit less tent like…

easily
    Free Member

TK Maxx first – they sometimes have a good selection on, and you might get lucky. If there is a black jacket you can usually find trousers that will match.

Debenhams have a wide selection, and sometimes have pretty good sales. Not exactly chic, but should do for what you’re after.

If you have a Uniqlo near you try there. They have reasonably priced stuff that is good quality. Small selection though.

And eBay. I’ve picked up a couple of Paul Smith suits from eBay for very low prices.

Phil_H

Suit for weddings, funerals, court😀
    Debenhams for me last time, ended up with one from Racing Green.
    Slaters are good too.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘suits’ is closed to new replies.