• This topic has 15 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Suitable commuter/CX bike for peak district?
  • monde
    Free Member

New job (eventually!!) means for the first time I can actually commute by bike.

The conundrum is its 13 miles each way with about 3.5k total feet of climbing with some peak district bridleways thrown in.
    Doing it three times a week to start with so the bike will take a battering over time.

Never owned a cx bike before and have been looking at the Boardman team which is around £800 with discount. Like the 1 x 11 system but curious if anyone has any better ideas for around the 1k mark.

kilo

That looks very good value. My spare cx bike is a norco, been very pleased with it but the spec of the boardman seems better pound for pound

GHill

Genesis CdF would be an option if you like steel.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ahwiles
    Free Member

After a day of work, and 2.5 days of commuting + 17,000 ft of climbing in your legs already that week, you may like a really easy granny gear to get you over the last hill before home.

Even more so in a headwind, in the rain, and you forgot to eat lunch.

yes, I am a useless ponce, it’s official. I’d want to be really confident that a 1x system gave me enough ‘range’

Nothing wrong with a double/triple.

(Fwiw 9spd sora is cheap and bombproof)

Slacks
    Free Member

I’ve been looking at a Dolan rdx for similar purpose.

whitestone
    Free Member

My commute is similar distance but only a third of the height gain. I’ve the CdF 10 which was £800 a couple of years ago but is now £1k, the Pinnacle Arkose was an option at the time but not checked it recently.

crazy-legs

That’s a big commute!
    I do 15 miles each way with nowhere close to that amount of climbing and 3x per week is my limit whether I do the full off-road option, full on-road or a mix.

I’d be looking at reliability and ease of servicing / getting spares for that sort of mileage and terrain in all seasons. And cheapness. That’s going to take a pounding so may as well look for cheap parts!

Pinnacle (Evans own brand) did a really nice 1x CX bike last year for about £700. I almost got one on C2W for use as a year round towpath commute bike.

Whereabouts in the Peaks, what’s your route?

monde
    Free Member

Cheers for all the above. Made my life harder! Forgot about the Genesis and am I right in thinking that they basically make the pinnacle as well? Like the look of the Dolan as well but have no experience of them.
    Narrowed it down to these three..

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-x-2018-adventure-road-bike-EV275629

https://www.evanscycles.com/genesis-croix-de-fer-10-2018-adventure-road-bike-EV320098

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-cx-team-bike

The route is from just outside Hayfield to the Tameside area. Its a decent size commute but my theory is I would be coming home from work and doing it anyway! You also get used to cycling hills in gales living there…

jeffl

Alpkit Sonder Camino. Pop into Hathersage and have a look at one.

ian martin
    Free Member

I’ve a 2015 croix de fer 10 and although has been good if I was doing more off-road I’d be looking at a bike with an alfine hub like the Genesis day-one.

crazy-legs

monde: that’s actually not much different to mine except I’m towards the New Mills/Disley end of that road. Guessing you’re planning on such gems as Monks Road…

FWIW, you can ride to New Mills, join the canal towpath there and it takes you right into Tameside. There are several other routes, all much flatter than what you’re planning!

monde
    Free Member

Intrigue spiked by the camino. Like the alpkit stuff.
    Crazy legs..avoid monks road when I can but I forgot about the canal! Can you commute to ashton from marple on it and is it any good? Might be a 5 day a week commute if you can !!!!

AlexSimon

I’ve used my Boardman CX Team (older model with 2×10) for similar for years now. Love it.
    Pindale, Roman Road, Roych Clough, Jaggers all cleared. Still feels fast on the road too (although I’ve never owned a road bike).

I also use it for winter road rides and bivvy trips.

I like the fact that the new one comes with the 10t sprocket/XD driver combo.

(note that my wheels are not stock – Pacenti CL-25 on Superstar Tesla hubs because original wheels were damaged in the shop, so I negotiated a hefty discount)

crazy-legs

Crazy legs..avoid monks road when I can but I forgot about the canal! Can you commute to ashton from marple on it and is it any good? Might be a 5 day a week commute if you can !!!!

Yep – New Mills, Disley, Marple is all right on the Peak Forest Canal and it goes right up to Ashton Basin.
    nbt off here uses it pretty regularly too, occasionally mixing it up with routes over Werneth Low.

You could always include Mellor / Thornsett / Birch Vale as a route between Marple and Hayfield.

monde
    Free Member

Route test this weekend! Cheers for all the info (my legs will thank you..)and it will be good to mix it up with lantern pike, monks road etc when feeling energetic.

Thanks for the info as well Alex. Settled on the Boardman as for the price I just cant justify anything else.

nbt

The canal can get properly minging in wet weather, I use full length waterproof trousers. Some bits have been improved recently thought which is good. Going over Werneth low from compstall to hyde cuts down on traffic as it’s farm tracks, or you can go over sandy lane in Romiley. My commute is only Marple to hyde thankfully. Drop me a line if you need details of any routes

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Suitable commuter/CX bike for peak district?’ is closed to new replies.