Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)
  • Suing s***r c*****ents for consequential loss?
  • silver1999
    Free Member

Hi Im new hear and I would like some advice.
    To-day I was out on my bike and my s******r s****r pads on the rear fell apart at speed, I came off, but luckily I was OK, but bike has big dent in top tube,
    Im not happy about this , i have been looking around the web and it seems that this is a know problem. My question is how do i go about taking him to court, do I need a solicitor or can i do it my self through the small clams court, any ideas welcome.

The guy says that the pads passed the necessary corrosion tests, but this seems to be a lie as there the only pads I have ever seen go rusty from behind the backing.

geoffj

donsimon
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll do yourself any favours by putting the name up. Ask the mods to remove the thread and start again without any potentially libelous statements.

molgrips
    Free Member

How did losing the back pads cause a crash?

dirtyrider
    Free Member

shit happens, move on with your life

donsimon
    Free Member

url? 🙄

yunki
    Free Member

how careful are you when replacing your wheel, and more specifically, inserting your disc back into position in the caliper..?

silver1999
    Free Member

How did losing the back pads cause a crash?

As suddenly I did not have a rear brake, causing me to not make it around the bend, the sudden loss of power was at the worst possible moment. Was using rear brake at the time it went.

captainlip
    Free Member

trying to make a quick buck from poor maintainence

silver1999
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll do yourself any favours by putting the name up. Ask the mods to remove the thread and start again without any potentially libelous statements.

also its not libellous if its True

nols
    Free Member

no one likes to crash – it sucks ass, but it happens. You’re not hurt, get up and move on.

silver1999
    Free Member

if it was on a road I could have died to day..

donsimon
    Free Member

’tis neither mine nor your decision to make, but you will notice the carful placement of the word potentially. It’s the details you seem to be missing.
    I reckon you’re in for about the same amount as I’d be counter suing you for for any lost business due to this thread.
    😀

silver1999
    Free Member

trying to make a quick buck from poor maintainence

Im I meant to keep them lubricated?

bruneep

did you not have a front brake? if so learn to brake proper.

silver1999
    Free Member

also the bike is very well looked after, haveing worked in a bike shop for 5 years I think i know what im doing!!

donsimon
    Free Member

haveing worked in a bike shop for 5 years I think i know what im doing!!

Good luck.

mrmo
    Free Member

Prove it,

The pads failed, not good, but from their point of view, how were they installed, what has happened inserting and removing the rear wheel, how old were the pads, what cleaning chemicals have been used, . etc

As for the problem as far as i know, history, not used the pads, but not heard any complaints for a couple? of years.

And yes customer service doesn’t seem to be a strong point.

silver1999
    Free Member

well people hear seem to be unhelpful and insulting im going to seek legal advice in the morning.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is not libellous if it is true – and it is – this is a known issue.

Suing for consequential damages is however very difficult I believe and I don’t see this as a strong case as there are too many uncertainties

You certainly can do it thru “small claims” yourself. Can you be arsed with the hassle? It will be a load of grief for a very uncertain outcome

I would – but I think anyone who knowing sells dangerous components needs to be dealt with

Your other option would be trading standareds

Jamie
    Free Member

Pook

I fell off my bike once. Who can I sue?

edited for being a bit harsh. But really, come on, you really think you’ve got a case? You’re in cloud cuckoo land. People could sue for anything ‘consequential’.

It’s mountain biking. Sometimes you come off. Enjoy the anecdote. Don’t be a plank.

julianwilson
    Free Member

OP, for what it’s worth whenever this subject comes up on here quite a few people come out with other names of manufacturer’s/resellers/rebarnders’ brake pads which have suffered a similar fate. Including in a couple of cases the pads supplied fitted in the brakes and/or sold by the brake company themselves.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Nothing like the number of superstar pads that have failed. Its a known issue and his refusal to adress it is foolhardy

silver1999
    Free Member

TJ
    It was the sudden loss of control that scared me. One day i fear some one will go under a bus or something.

molgrips
    Free Member

I had pads come off backing material once. They were not superstar.

However it does seem to be a significant issue with them. I doubt you’d be able to sue him though, more like whoever made them.

atlaz
    Free Member

Even in the bad old days of the instantly delaminating pads, not sure anyone crashed and sued.

Jamie
    Free Member

So new forum user goes straight to calling TJ, TJ?

1/10.

…and that’s being generous, as the sun is out.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You were doing pretty well until:

silver1999 – Member
    also the bike is very well looked after, haveing worked in a bike shop for 5 years I think i know what im doing!!

MSP

No one with an internet connection and a passing interest in mountain bikes can claim to be ignorant of the fact that superstar pads are cheap tat. No one to blame but yourself if you’re stupid enough to then buy them.

Pook

yep. reeking of bull poop.

silver1999
    Free Member

**** this forum its full of ****, see ya!

Pook

just been topped up.

I’ve never had a problem with superstar for the record.

glupton1976
    Free Member

From what i can make out from your original post you squeazed the brake lever and had no rear brake – nada, zilch, heehaw. What retardation effect did the remaining backing material and remaining “good” pad have?

Sod it – I call troll.

Jamie
    Free Member

**** this forum its full of ****, see ya!

Weeeeeeeee!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cds7lSHawAw[/video]

thejesmonddingo

Heck,I just made a cup of tea and opened a new pack of biscuits,where’s he gone?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Back under the bridge. Expect another one soon!

RustySpanner

TandemJeremy – Member

Nothing like the number of superstar pads that have failed. Its a known issue and his refusal to adress it is foolhardy

As much of an issue as malicious trolling and multiple log-ins?

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Jamie – not seen that before: made me proper lol!

Jamie
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 112 total)

The topic ‘Suing s***r c*****ents for consequential loss?’ is closed to new replies.