• This topic has 138 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)
  • Suicide Squad
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Thought the Nolan/Bale batmans were tosh, much preferred Dawn of Justice (although Eisenberg was shit)

Age of Ultron and X-Men Apocalypse were okay but Civil War was dull dull dull.

Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool were great.

Looking forward to Wonder Woman and Suicide Squad.

kimbers

anyone watched it yet?

BruceWee

Just back from the cinema. Firstly, it’s not as bad as a lot of the reviews are saying. However, it’s not as good as the trailers made me think it was going to be.

It definitely had it’s moments and some great characters but the pacing felt off. It could have rattled along nicely using the (pretty good) soundtrack to tie everything together but it lurched from set piece to set piece in an awkward manner.

Go see it. Or not.

lambchop
    Free Member

So why was that a 15 cert? The girls in the audience seemed to like HQ, laughing at every line she said even if it wasn’t funny.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I went to watch it with a couple of mates last night. Barra cinema, 3D, Dolby surround; the works.

We all agreed it was the worst film we’d ever seen. Don’t waste your time or money.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Can’t be as bad as Rugsuckers from Mars…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Yeah, but you get to watch a hot lady walking around in her pants. That is the essential marketing appeal of this film, no?

DezB
    Free Member

Yay! just got back from seeing it with my kid. Really enjoyed it, pretty funny, a bit mental, much much better than Batman v Superman. Saw it for free with Lloyds vouchers but wouldn’t have minded paying for that one at all.
    The end was silly, but they ALWAYS are in superhero films, so to be expected.
    davidtaylforth and his buds can’t have seen many films really. And obviously not the aforementioned last Batman film!
    Recommended, if only for Harley’s pants 🙂

theotherjonv

Was the only thing on at a suitable time last night, kids were at grandparents, so we went.

Absolutely not my cup of tea, have no interest in superheros, plot won’t win any Oscars, but blowing stuff up while wearing your skimpys made it a bearable couple of hours.

Sonor
    Free Member

Thought the Nolan/Bale batmans were tosh, much preferred Dawn of Justice

😯 Blimey.

stuey
    Free Member

Just back from 3D viewing + I’ve read all the comics = could of been worse but not a patch on ‘Deadpool’
    3D not worth it and my biggest criticism is that ‘dark lighting ? atmospheric’

chomp
    Free Member

saw it last night with the wife and both thought it was much better than we expected.

Visually there’s a lot to like – plot wise not so much.

Personally I hated the enchantresses voice – hadn’t thought that something like that could almost ruin a cinema experience until she started talking and I though Killer Croc needed to be a bigger actor (head was great – body too puny).

Margot is smokin hot, and Waller is a proper mentalist – someone who needs to be in more DC films from now on.

Overall it was a lot of fun (but should’ve been more like deadpool)

theotherjonv

Personally I hated the enchantresses voice

I thought it was perfect – if the director had asked for overblown Joanna Lumley

durhambiker
    Free Member

Newsthump hit the nail on the head for me. Enjoyed it overall but mainly for the soundtrack and the look of it. Plot was a bit pants and all over the place.

DezB
    Free Member

Oh yeah, soundtrack – some brilliant choons on there, maybe that was why I enjoyed it so much. 🙂
    I don’t take my kid to superhero films expecting a decent plot. They’re all pretty much the flippin same plot-wise!

chomp
    Free Member

well if that’s what he asked for jonv – she nailed it

It just didn’t work for me

rhid

I went in with low expectations but I loved it. It was a lot of fun and there were a lot of explosions. Perfect entertainment.

BillOddie

Jeeeeesus, that Justice League trailer looks dour.

Gal Gadot though… 😀

lovewookie

Can’t be as bad as Rugsuckers from Mars…

that’s kinda on a par with jesus christ vampire hunter..;-)

wee-al
    Free Member

I feel like i’ve been pranked. There’s no way that can be a real movie a major studio would release to the public. Genuinely one of the worst i’ve seen in a while. Horrendous dialogue, just a clunky rhythm, goes from zero to 100 with hardly any set up or explanation. And why the **** can’t Holywood write women, or minorities without resorting to shit stereotypes, especially when it comes to minorities dialogue “aw shawty” etc. **** rubbish. There were actually some decent scenes and it could have been decent if not excellent. I was actually pissing myself laughing a couple of times during some of the big serious scenes. There’s a bit where the sorcerer women is casting some major spell and she looks like a 40 something rhythmless Scottish housewife trying belly dancing for the first time pissed at a resort holiday in Egypt. Hilarious.

wee-al
    Free Member

I will say the soundtrack was good.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Watched it last night with the wife and we both really enjoyed it. All those whinging about plot etc, have you actually watched any other comic based film? They all have plot holes you could drive a bus through. It’s sit back, disengage brain and enjoy the action film. It’s not going to win an Oscar!

jimjam
    Free Member

craigxxl

All those whinging about plot etc, have you actually watched any other comic based film? They all have plot holes you could drive a bus through.

Yeah, whenever I’ve decided to spend hard earned cash on a trip to the cinema to see a film I set aside any expectations of quality if the film is based on a comic book 🙄

There are good films and bad films. The source material isn’t a caveat. If you went to see a film based on a short story would it be acceptable if it was bad? I don’t think so. How about an original idea? I mean someone just thought something up, surely it’s silly to expect anything good right?

craigxxl
    Free Member

We knew what type of film we were going to watch and enjoyed it. Not many original ideas out there when they are based on a comic as they need to be based on the original characters. Really how much detail do you want in a 2 hour film with individual characters that have grown over 100’s of comics. A lot of that detail will be on the cutting floor to make the film watchable. If you don’t like what is on then don’t go to the cinema, read a book or comic instead that can go into the detail.

jimjam
    Free Member

craigxxl

We knew what type of film we were going to watch and enjoyed it. Not many original ideas out there when they are based on a comic as they need to be based on the original characters. Really how much detail do you want in a 2 hour film with individual characters that have grown over 100’s of comics. A lot of that detail will be on the cutting floor to make the film watchable. If you don’t like what is on then don’t go to the cinema, read a book or comic instead that can go into the detail.

Nothing you’ve said there makes any sense. I’ll say again, there are good films and bad films. The source material isn’t a caveat.

There’s no formal prerequisite for comic book films to pour over any character in massive detail or explore the history of the comic books. But there are benchmark ensemble action films that establish characters to the point where you understand something about them, where they come from, their motivations and how those motivations effect their actions and by extension the plot.

Dirty Dozen, Great Escape, Inglorious Basterds, Seven Samurai etc established a pretty tried and true template for films like this.

craigxxl
    Free Member

All of those films at least 2 and half long and Seven Samurai over 3 and half hours gives a lot of time to build characters and plot. Most people will not sit for that length of time for an action film and prefer the 2 hours film length of Suicide Squad which the studios know and are reluctant to push. When these films are this popular it also always for an extra screening which helps them in the opening weekend turnover figures competition.

Cougar

Trufact. That’s why Lord of the Rings tanked at the box office.

wee-al
    Free Member

Craigxxl none of what you have said explains the really, really bad dialogue.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Was it really that bad for comic book based action film? What dialogue actually offends you?

jimjam
    Free Member

craigxxl

All of those films at least 2 and half long and Seven Samurai over 3 and half hours gives a lot of time to build characters and plot. Most people will not sit for that length of time for an action film and prefer the 2 hours film length of Suicide Squad which the studios know and are reluctant to push. When these films are this popular it also always for an extra screening which helps them in the opening weekend turnover figures competition.

Avengers – 2hrs 23mins. Avengers 2 – 2hrs 22 mins. Man of Steel – 2hrs 28.
    Batman v Superman 3hrs 3. Batman Begins 2hrs 20. Dark Knight Rises – 2hrs 45 mins….

What was your point?

DezB
    Free Member

So, are we going to see an end to the superhero plot anytime soon. Seeing as people are so sick of it?

-Hero/hero group is formed
    -Baddie does bad stuff (way beyond the power of any one to stop) (CGI-fest)
    -Superhero has doubts/love interest
    -Baddie and superhero tangle in massive finale (whereby the baddie always forgets some of their powers and gets into a punch-up)
    -Superhero wins
    -The end
    -(or is it…)

If I go to a superhero film and get anything different, then I’ll be seriously amazed.

DezB
    Free Member

I’ll say again, there are good films and bad films.

Surely they are simply films you like and films you don’t like?

craigxxl
    Free Member

Have you seen any of those films or even Suicide Squad? The ones that you have listed 4 possible 5 should have been shortened as the extra time only added to arse ache and not the plot.

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB

I’ll say again, there are good films and bad films.

Surely they are simply films you like and films you don’t like?

Leaving aside my own personal preferences, we do have professional critics and aggregator sites like Rotten Tomatoes (though far from perfect).

Time is usually the best judge. When the marketing hype and internet chatter has died off do people still regard it as a good film in 10,20,30,50 years time.

craigxxl

Have you seen any of those films or even Suicide Squad? The ones that you have listed 4 possible 5 should have been shortened as the extra time only added to arse ache and not the plot.

Your point was that comic book movies can’t be long and it was not financially viable. I wasn’t chosing them as examples of good films, merely examples of very long, but incredibly lucrative films to counter your irrelevant point that “people won’t sit through an action movie that long” and “studios know this and cut films accordingly”.

DezB
    Free Member

Time is usually the best judge. When the marketing hype and internet chatter has died off do people still regard it as a good film in 10,20,30,50 years time.

Hmm, I don’t think so…
    What about all the “I’ve never seen The Godfather” folk on here? Cos it’s a bad film?
    And rottentomatoes/professional critics/whatever – all just opinions. Many of which I disagree with. Could name many examples!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Stanley Kubrick went from the dawn of humanity to alien transcendance in less than three hours. Most of the films above are 2.3 hours of people/robots hitting each other.

“Cutting room”, please.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Jimjam, I’ll watch what entertains me just like the others did who filled the cinema alongside me last night. Strangely they all seemed to enjoy it too which is bizarre as someone who hasn’t seen it wants to tell me how bad it was 😯

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB

Hmm, I don’t think so…

Fine Dez. Go and compile your own top 50 films list.

craigxxl

Jimjam, I’ll watch what entertains me just like the others did who filled the cinema alongside me last night. Strangely they all seemed to enjoy it too which is bizarre as someone who hasn’t seen it wants to tell me how bad it was

I have seen it. By all means watch what you want, but if you’re going to justify it “I knew what to expect” is not any kind of qualifier or objective analysis. Same for “it’s a comic book film”.

At no point have I said you shouldn’t have watched that, or you can’t like that. I’m commenting on your justifications as to why it was good which to me seems like saying “I went to a gig last night, everyone said the band was shit but I was drunk so it was awesome”.

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh dear God, some people liked Suicide Squad some don’t like it, some people are cine literate, some people arent, some people like to think they are. Some people like different genres, some people like to be challenged by films some people just want to sit down for a couple of hours and be entertained.

Everyone likes different stuff, what are we bickering about?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Whether it’s any good.

It’s entirely possible to make a blockbuster about superheroes that is smart and treats the audience as smart [or at least doesn’t offer them idiot-grade content].

By the sound of it, this is neither – hence the discussion.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Suicide Squad’ is closed to new replies.