Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Suicide Squad
  • There hasn’t been a film I want to watch so much for ages….

Why such a ridiculous build up?

I can’t remember how long ago I first saw the trailer – still not released until August next year ffs

jimjam
    Free Member

Based on the directors previous films it will not be good. By which I mean it will be crap. And when I say crap, I mean shite.

Rorschach
    Free Member

But it’s got Will Smith being a anti hero cyborg hitman Will Smith.
    Now Deadpool on the other hand….that makes me sexwee everywhere.

I’ve only seen Training Day and can’t remember it – says a lot – and Fast and the Furious. Hmmm

jimjam
    Free Member

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR

I’ve only seen Training Day and can’t remember it – says a lot – and Fast and the Furious. Hmmm

He was only a writer / co-writer on those. I’d say they are his career highlight by some margin.

MrSparkle

This all seems a bit unlikely. Will Smith in a film about Burnley football hooligans??

loddrik
    Free Member

Hooray. Another Superheroey type film. The world needs more Superheroey type films. I erm, can’t wait..

robowns
    Free Member

Looks bad, but not as terrible as Deadpool, that humour is just not remotely funny.

CountZero

loddrik – Member
    Hooray. Another Superheroey type film. The world needs more Superheroey type films. I erm, can’t wait..

Thanks, when I want an opinion on a film I’ll go to someone who gives a shit. 🙄

chorlton
    Free Member

This all seems a bit unlikely. Will Smith in a film about Burnley football hooligans??

Just what I was thinking.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

Trailer for Suicide Squad looks crap-Deadpool looks brilliant

kimbers

darrenspink
    Free Member

Just what I was thinking.

And me: Su, su, su-i-cide.

willard

As long as both are better than Green Lantern, I won’t mind as much.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Green lantern wasnt that bad …. Have you seen the new fantastic 4 yet…. Or ant man…. My god.. Makes the punisher look good

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

A film about some Essex boys who like to go banger racing?

Suicide Squad

willard

Which Punisher? I’ve not seen the Dolph Lungren one, but I rented the other one twice and both times failed to finish watching it. That was a truly shit film.

scandal42
    Free Member

I’ve only seen Training Day and can’t remember it – says a lot

Yes, yes it does, it says a lot about you.

An excellent film from start to finish.

jamj1974

I liked Antman!

P-Jay
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

I also hate superhero films, well most of them anyway – I hadn’t really realised but there are two big brands in Comics, DC and Marvel.

Marvel make all the silly ones, Thor, Captain America – basically the Avengers and X-Men, all very morally straight and true, goodies and baddies with fantastic super powers.

DC make the gritty ones, Watchmen, Batman, Superman, Superman aside they seem to be normal humans who are a bit mad.

Suicide Squad is a DC one, The Joker is worth the price of admission alone judging by the trailer.

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay

I also hate superhero films, well most of them anyway – I hadn’t really realised but there are two big brands in Comics, DC and Marvel.

Marvel make all the silly ones, Thor, Captain America – basically the Avengers and X-Men, all very morally straight and true, goodies and baddies with fantastic super powers.

DC make the gritty ones, Watchmen, Batman, Superman, Superman aside they seem to be normal humans who are a bit mad.

Suicide Squad is a DC one, The Joker is worth the price of admission alone judging by the trailer.

Well you’re clearly an expert. I take it all back.

stevied
    Free Member

Antman?

P-Jay
    Free Member

jimjam – Member

Well you’re clearly an expert. I take it all back.

Well, it’s about time!

I don’t know if it’ll good, bad or indifferent. Personally I thought Training Day was a fantastic film, so if it’s the same guy involved that’s a plus for me.

I was just trying to illustrate that, like me, I think a lot of people look at “another bloody comic film” but there are comic films and there are comic films – all the Iron Man, Thor and that lot ones have been done to death, there must be a dozen or more films including one or more of them – X-Men the same, how many films in that series including the sequels and spin-offs! They’re also the most fantastical, people flying around shooting lasers out of their arses or whatever else.

The DC ones tend to be more grownup, more gritty and more realistic – less flying about and such.

And it’s got Margot Robbie in it! I’d crawl naked through broken glass to hear her fart into a walkie talkie.

D0NK

Not sure about that P-Jay, DC has all the flying/lasers stuff in superman. I do prefer the flawed hero stuff, watchmen was alright (been a while can’t remember how much I liked it, due a re-watch I think). Avengers is silly but I quite like RDJ’s Tony Stark, dislike X-men but most of the batmans are mleh aswell TBH (with the odd decent bad guy). Marvel also has Kick Ass. SO I don’t think DC>Marvel is a good rule.

But I don’t read the comics, only watch the films so probably not allowed an opinion either 😉

<edit>Actually I just remembered FF4(2005) and the godawful POS Ghostrider are both marvel, I take it back. DC is > Marvel

jimjam
    Free Member

P-Jay

I don’t know if it’ll good, bad or indifferent. Personally I thought Training Day was a fantastic film, so if it’s the same guy involved that’s a plus for me.

I thought it was mediocre at best. As before, he was the writer on it, he didn’t direct. For an example of what happens when he gets to direct look at Sabotage and Fury. The former is probably one of the most sloppily made, infuriatingly stupid films I’ve ever seen. I’ve tried watching the latter three times. I can’t sit through it.

I was just trying to illustrate that, like me, I think a lot of people look at “another bloody comic film” but there are comic films and there are comic films – all the Iron Man, Thor and that lot ones have been done to death, there must be a dozen or more films including one or more of them – X-Men the same, how many films in that series including the sequels and spin-offs! They’re also the most fantastical, people flying around shooting lasers out of their arses or whatever else.

The DC ones tend to be more grownup, more gritty and more realistic – less flying about and such.

I could derail the thread and provide examples of why you’re wrong but since you’ve said you hate comic book films, and you clearly have no interest in, or knowledge of comic books then there’s not much point.

zilog6128

Which Punisher? I’ve not seen the Dolph Lungren one, but I rented the other one twice and both times failed to finish watching it. That was a truly shit film.

I only found out the other day there was a third film, in 2008, which was a massive flop. Why do they have to keep **** him up? He’s one of the few comic book heroes where you don’t need a massive budget or epic special effects. Just let a decent writer/director/actor have a crack!

Apparently he features quite heavily in the next season of Daredevil (which is supposed to be good although I haven’t seen it).

They’re also the most fantastical, people flying around shooting lasers out of their arses or whatever else.

I totally agree with this. I love comic books, and also films. Most comic book films are terrible examples of film making; cliché filled bore fests. All of the current crop of Marvel films (bar possibly the original Iron Man) fall under this category. You could probably count on one hand the number of comic book films which are actually worthy pieces of cinematic art rather than (massively expensive) generic crap.

kimbers

I remain to be convinced about Will Smith in any form, david ayers OK, though he did write Fast and furious!!

as for Marvel vs DC
    you want superhero films to be realistic??

the marvel stuff has been done a lot, because its a winning formula and its great that there is an interelated series of films featuring all the characters

would be nice if fox and marvel could get the full collaboration on!

DC films definitely aimed more at adults and it can work well or it can fall very flat (superman returns!) or whatever green lantern was (Ant Man was much better)

although Blade and Deadpool show they can get it right when marvel want to go xrated

and some great shorts out there

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjUhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YDYL6oECjU[/video]

even the punisher can be done right…
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWpK0wsnitc[/video]

jimjam
    Free Member

You could probably count on one hand the number of comic book films which are actually worthy pieces of cinematic art rather than (massively expensive) generic crap.

I probably could if I didn’t know anything about films.

edlong
    Free Member

From all the subsequent comicbook / superhero talk, can I safely assume that this “Deadpool” thing mentioned early in the thread isn’t a Dirty Harry reboot?

zilog6128

Just because it makes you nerdgasm when you watch it doesn’t mean it’s actually good.

D0NK

From all the subsequent comicbook / superhero talk, can I safely assume that this “Deadpool” thing mentioned early in the thread isn’t a Dirty Harry reboot?

I’m pretty sure kimbers post is deadpool

P-Jay
    Free Member

JimJam

I could derail the thread and provide examples of why you’re wrong but since you’ve said you hate comic book films, and you clearly have no interest in, or knowledge of comic books then there’s not much point.

Go ahead, honestly I really don’t know much about comic books, I might welcome the info and I only said I hate most of film versions. This is after all a open forum, talk to the whole audience.

I suppose if I tried to summarise my opinion, I liked the recent Batman series because it’s easier for me to dispend my disbelief – Batman being just a big rich bloke in a suit – but a suit which seems more realistic than say Iron Man (the other Rich guy in a suit Super Hero) – by and large the DC films are the easier for cynics like me to suspend their disbelief.

Add to that the over-exposure of the genre, the more fantastical Marvel ones are EVERYWHERE and have been for over a decade – to non-comic fans like me and perhaps loddrik it can seem a case of “not this shit again” I was just trying illustrate that some are more gritty, more grounded and more adult than others and might not be fair to tar them all with the same brush.

But you know Comics and you’ve already predicted you won’t enjoy it, who am I to try to have an open mind about Suicide Squad 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

zilog6128

Just because it makes you nerdgasm when you watch it doesn’t mean it’s actually good.

Your comment isn’t relevant to me.

kimbers

Im not sure what you are expecting really; I don’t go into any comic book film expecting a worthy piece of cinematic art.
    I think you will be disappointed a lot if you go on with that attitude!
    I’m not sure that suicide squad is looking that grounded or realisic, or that great from what I’ve seen so far- could go either way, but fingers crossed, there’s certainly some awesome characters in there.
    As for realism…. the extended car chase in batman where the joker escapes is about as likely to happen as Chris Pratt flying a space ship with a talking raccoon and his tree bodyguard, but that won’t stop me enjoying either.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=D6pXybWGIS0[/video]

Yes, yes it does, it says a lot about you.
    An excellent film from start to finish.

Yes, yes it does indeed. I was probably pissed!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Suicide Squad’ is closed to new replies.