Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Suggestions please from single business / work travellers …
  • Sue_W
    Free Member

Sitting in yet another restaurant in a different city (Cardiff this week … London next week), watching all the other business people eating alone. Will head back later to the usual anonymous hotel. Not exactly a barrel of laughs, so any suggestions from other fellow business travellers? What do you do?

Don’t really want to sit in a bar on my own (a bit too much unwanted attention if you’re a woman on your own). Don’t have an OH to spend the evening talking to. Oh, and dodgy pay to view channels are not really my thing 🙂

Pook

Theatre? Film? Gig? Book? Explore Cardiff?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Gym.

br
    Free Member

Stay in the office…

But while eating, a book/paper/mag usually – and take my time.

matt_outandabout

I used to swim/gym when away, and occasionally took the bike, but we were at a lot of country hotels for work.

donsimon
    Free Member

I thought I read about some app or software that allowed people to load up their location and load of others, in a similar position, would come and meet you.
    If it doesn’t exist, design it and make a fortune…
    Koprol beat me to it!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Grindr

mrchrispy

lol

Sue_W
    Free Member

Have got swimming stuff so will probably head for the Sport Wales centre tomorrow.

Going out tonight in Cardiff wouldn’t be great as it’s heaving with Take That fans!

Forgot about the theatre … will check out what’s on for tomorrow

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A good book is your friend.

An interesting piece of advice I once got about work and any other travel was to go to a local shop, buy something (Anything, really) and a local paper. Always ask for a bag. Then, walk around with local paper visible and local bag in hand. Much less likely to get any hassle.

Overall, though, have a book. I spend an age in hotels, airports, etc, and a book is almost always with me. Oh, and don’t be afraid to strike up a conversation with someone.

Some more tips;

Ask the reception where to go and eat/drink. Never failed to find somewhere nice on my travels this way. (Am really looking forward to going back to China next month for those soup dumplings…)
    Do not, whatever you do, drink on your own in your room. That way danger lies.
    Did I mention a good book?

😉

avdave2

I do this all the time, I always take a book. Sounds odd but one of the reasons I want a Kindle is that you don’t have to use the cutlery to hold it open. The other thing I like to do is just go for a wander and see what’s around, best to pick up a map from reception if like me you realise you’ve been wandering for ages and now have no idea where you are. I’m usually out of the country and to be honest I find that helps because it’s nice to be out just soaking up a different atmosphere, I don’t enjoy it as much when it’s in this country when I often think I’d much rather be at home.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Flash, you were on Grindr the last time I used it so less of the bullshit about buying local papers please 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Your face or mine, Darcy? 😉

Sue_W
    Free Member

DD – don’t think I’m really what the average punter on Grindr is interested in!

Do have a book (No Way Down: Life and Death on K2 … maybe I need more of a feelgood story!), but like to idea of a Kindle that could be read whilst eating.

Anyone got any idea what’s on in Cardiff at the moment? (apart from Take That!)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DD – don’t think I’m really what the average punter on Grindr is interested in!

No, I didn’t think so…only teasing 🙂

Cinema?

Chapter Arts Center has some quality stuff on.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

On another note, this very forum has provided me with endless mirth and interest while travelling.

djglover
    Free Member

When I’m in cardiff alone I either:

Go for a run then get a book or paper and go to goat major or similar pub with decent ales or

Take my bike up to Cwmcarn. Its mid summer and plenty of time for a ride…

nicky
    Free Member

Castell Coch looks nice and Ystradfelte is not too far and very pretty.
    And yes Cwmcarn or Afan are not too far or the mountains. Thats if you have leisure time but the evenings are still light.
    I wouldn’t worry about going in a pub as long as its not too busy.
    You just get chatting to people. 😀

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Sue, fear not, for I have a fine selection of lichra… litrach… litro… books. 😉

I also know where good pubs and food is…..

Sue_W
    Free Member

Unfortunately taking a bike with me isn’t really an option 🙁

Elfin – yey! But I thought you had despaired of me 🙂

OMG … I can now hear Take That belting out over the roofs of Cardiff … Think I might need to turn the TV up!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

SUe head to A&E and laugh at all the older woman getting pi**ed up and falling over! Head down to Maindy track to watch the trainig there, it’s where Geraint Thomas started.

nicky
    Free Member

You poor thing bet you wish you had ear phones! 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ll give you another chance, Sue, but I can’t take any more heartache.

Swimming you say? Bring yer cossie. Plenty of good pools here.

tazzymtb

it may be worth putting the odd ” I’m going to stuck in these locations on these dates anyone fancy a pint/ride/swapping of abuse” kind of thing on here. There’s enough of us that doss all over bits of the UK pretending to work that have the same sort of issue 😀

NZCol

I have run around a lot of exotic locations – i always packed my running and swimming kit. Good book and try and pick up a local paper and see whats on. It’s very easy to get stuck in your room watching endless loops of TV which makes you feel worse.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Kindle in the restaurant then a night’s sleep without kids waking you up.

Bliss.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions please from single business / work travellers …’ is closed to new replies.