Suggestions for a full sus (AKA orange 5 or something similar)

Home Forum Bike Forum Suggestions for a full sus (AKA orange 5 or something similar)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Suggestions for a full sus (AKA orange 5 or something similar)
  • GEDA

Looking for a speedier full sus to replace my Patriot. The first full sus I got was a Gary Fisher Sugar. It was really light and fast but built like a stick insect and broke at any opportunity. The Patriot has definitely fixed that problem but I would rather have something that can take a bit of a beating and but is a bit lighter and speedier.

I was thinking an Orange 5 but they seem to have a bit of a premium and want some more options.

Rickos

Full bike or frame only?

GEDA

Something with a bit vintage so I get get it cheap/er

Biffer

Kona Dawg – bomb proof bike. Not too heavy so usable all day without fear of it falling apart.

john_l

cove hustler?

I_Ache

Old shape Spech Enduro 05/06 should do you for about £300 or depending on if you have cash or credit and the finishing kit you already have on your patriot have a look at a Pitch. My pitch is 3lbs lighter than my old 06 Enduro but has got some pretty heavy wheels and cranks on it.

There is a Pitch Pro in the classifieds for £1k or you could buy a Pitch Comp that is a better colour for less than that new and put all your bits on it from the Patriot.

GEDA

I had a Giant AC with that kind of suspension set up and found it a bit spongy so not that good on the acceleration. I suppose this would be solved by a more modern shock.

Enduro is a good option there, certainly, but don’t rule out the Marin 140 range. They ride superbly, and feel like they have more travel than they do.

hora

Giant Trance or Reign?

Premier Icon jimmy
    Subscriber

I’m always tempted by a commencal meta 5.5, which might fit the bill. Merlin always seem to have very tempting deals.

djglover

meta = crack in the weld 🙁

freakcrab

Cannondale Prophet for a top value and tough complete bike.

Premier Icon jam bo
    Subscriber

fives are very popular for a good reason. they rock.

or why not lighten up the patriot?

GEDA

The Patriot just does not have the zing.

Premier Icon onewheelgood
    Subscriber

you want zing, you want an Anthem X. More zing than a very zingy thing.

GEDA

How does the anthem cope with none to delicate trail riding?

peachos

this is my bike. i bought it for the same reasons and it’s awesome. and a 2k bike for 1k 😀

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/7604/Norco_Six1_Bike_2006

Premier Icon onewheelgood
    Subscriber

@GEDA I haven’t broken mine yet, but I haven’t done anything extreme on it either. Plenty of people on the mtbr forum report that they’ve swapped their Trances (120mm) for an Anthem (100mm) and have found it copes with the rough stuff just as well but goes up much better.

willsimmons

Trek Fuel EX (2008 onwards)

I have an Anthem X as well and while I love it as an all out speed machine it is not as confidence inspiring as the Trek is in rough terrain. I think the Trek would suit the description you have given. If I had to do one bike to ‘do it all’ it would be the Trek for sure.

hora

Latest mbr gives the Bionicon 5/10 😕

dirtbiker100

I was wanting a 4-5″ trail bike. i say trail as i would be attacking a 4x track on it as well as trail centres and the local cotswold xc loops.
    ideally wanted a ST4, 5 would be nice.
    in the end went for an 07 trance. bloomin love it. i’m sub 29lbs at the moment and it goes great. thrashed it during a long weekend in the alps too.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/photo/3521305/

Premier Icon Chipbutty
    Subscriber

Heckler, single pivot simplicity. Good up and down. nuf said!

jfeb

Apologies for the hijack, but why did MBR rate a Bionicon 5/10 (and which one was it)?

DeeW

Enduro will probably feel more of a lump than the Patriot due to teh more active suspension. I’d guess the frames are similar in weight (or the Enduro slightly heavier). I had an Enduro but got sick of the sluggish climbing so got rid of it for a Meta5.

I wouldn’t touch a Commencal secondhand because of breakage issues (my Meta5 cracked on me).

I now run a Patriot with a shorter travel shock (160mm) and feels fairly lively. I’d be interested to try a Five to see if it felt a lot lighter / quicker.

For a similar but much cheaper second-hand bike I’d look at a Prophet: sorted geometry and seem to be able to take a beating from a couple of mates’ experience.

hora

Apologies for the hijack, but why did MBR rate a Bionicon 5/10 (and which one was it)?

Hang on..

hora

Bionicon Golden Willow SC1. Summer 09 mbr/latest. funnily as I remember late last year(?) they raved about it in a Lakes ride feature? Possibly not the Sc1 though? Fanastic concept though isnt it!

jfeb

Did they not like the “rudimentary” suspension? That’s been the only criticism I have seen of the range. I tested a Golden Willow and Edison and I thought they were great to be honest.

IvanDobski

As well as the suspension issues I got the impression they hadn’t really spent much time on it – mentioned that they hadn’t got used to the system etc etc. Seems a short-sighted view when they’re testing something which is essentially an entirely new system.

Still, could’ve been worse – could have been the WMB “adventure bikes” review!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Suggestions for a full sus (AKA orange 5 or something similar)’ is closed to new replies.