Suggestions for 2hr rides from Hope or Castleton.

Home Forum Bike Forum Suggestions for 2hr rides from Hope or Castleton.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Suggestions for 2hr rides from Hope or Castleton.
  • jekkyl

I’ve got friday off work for a ride in the Peak and I’ve arranged with my mate to go riding for the day. Silly mate hasn’t been able to dispense with his responsibilities of taking the brats to school so he’s turning up 2 hrs after me.
    Any suggestions for rides under 2hrs in length, probably try and keep it under 10 miles. We’ll be going up the Roman Road to start with so I’d rather not start going up that way. My first thought was up RomanRoad down Brink.
    I don’t mind a bit of cheeky as it’ll be a week day it’ll all be quiet. What about the paths down to the road from Lose hill, any good?

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

Roman Road – Beast – Ladybower Climb – Hope Brink. If he’s quicker you could throw in Hagg Farm – Lockerbrook then dash back along the road.

jekkyl

sorry if I wasn’t clear. The idea was for me to do a short loop then meet my mate to go out for a bigger ride. Together we will be going up Roman road and over to ladybower and this is our normal ride when we go so I’m after suggestions heading in other directions. But without any experience of riding other drops I don’t know which ones are joyful rocks and hooning and which ones are horrible grassy slogs. ta 🙂

What about South to Bradwell Edge, any good?

docrobster

How about castleton, up broken road to Mam tor, hollins cross, turn right back down to castleton. Loops as many as you can fit in. If it’s quiet you can push/carry back up along fp to Hollins X to ride the downhill again
    Like this sort of loop
    Bradda edge will be a slop fest I reckon

Premier Icon highpeakrider
    Subscriber

Up the rushops edge, down to the roaches climb up to south head, drop down towards hayfield, up to edale cross and down Jacobs ladder, bit of climbing involved depends how fit you are.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

highpeakrider – Member

Up the rushops edge, down to the roaches climb up to south head, drop down towards hayfield, up to edale cross and down Jacobs ladder, bit of climbing involved depends how fit you are. Take a properly fit lad to knock this off in a couple of hours as an appetiser to the main ride of the day – doubt that is what he’s looking for.

I think something like Docrobster says is realistic, small sort of loop that won’t take you too far from the valley, and if you’re back early you could always have a bevvy. Bradwell edge has quite a fierce climb up to it from Brough and then is slip-slidey bollox whenever I’ve done it in the winter, so probably not that. You could do Cavedale [challenging descent if you don’t know it] – either take the big road pull up dirtlow rake / or climb up pindale [v hard] / broken road then Rowter farm, then descend back down Cavedale.

docrobster

Actually thinking about it a bit more… do cavedale

jekkyl

Yes. Cavedale looks favourite. I can park in Castleton as I’ll be coming from the Buxton side. Up the broken Road over and down past rowter farm then Cavedale. If time allows loop round to do pindale too.
    Thanks guys

thepodge

I’ve done Castleton, broken road, Dirtlow, Cavedale, Castleton in under an hour. Admittedly it was another 15 minutes before I could see properly and breath properly but it gives you an idea.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.