Suggest places for me to live on the outskirts of Stockport (ish)

• This topic has 12 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by  IHN.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Suggest places for me to live on the outskirts of Stockport (ish)
  • edward2000

We are looking to move house but cant seem to settle on a location. We live in south Manchester but we want to move somewhere to a bigger house. Minimum 3 bed ideally 4. We would like to be able to ride from the doorstep however as I work in sales, access to the motorway network is important. We were considering Disley but the traffic I believe around there now the new bypass is open seems awful according to the local fb group. We’ve mentioned Poynton, Marple, even Bollington. Any suggestions or comments?

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Hazy G, our kid.

Ride from the doorstep, road or dirt, new bypass will put you on the 56 no prob, palatial abodes.

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Here in Bollington, it’s definitely got the riding from the door thing sorted and it’s a nice community slightly detached from the sprawl of Manchester.

But it is a bit detached from the motorway network – to get on the M6 South, it’s about half an hour. M56 is quicker as long as it’s not rush hour. M60 is about 25mins.

Cycle commute to Stockport is straightforward (Middlewood Way to Marple), but maybe that doesn’t apply to you.

3/4 bed houses are expensive and you really need a driveway as parking is getting ridiculous.

Whaley Bridge is a bit cheaper. I’ve always thought Chinley was a good option too.

Premier Icon julians
    Subscriber

Marple seems to fit the bill based on your description of what you’re after.

If you drop the riding from the door requirement or are happy to do a few miles of road to get to decent off road then places like davenport, woods Moor, Bramhall, woodford become options.

mattrgee

New Mills, Birch Vale or Hayfield. The Peak District on your door step. Yes, traffic can be busy but where isn’t? You can be on the M60 from the above locations in about 30 mins if say leaving at 7am. M1 J29A at Chesterfield is about an hour drive, M1 J37 under an hour.

edward2000

Never really considered Hazel Grove. How long does it take to reach the Roman Lakes on a mountain bike approx? I also forgot to add that my sales patch covers the north west so getting to the M1 isn’t too high a priority.

What about High Lane?

Thanks for the input so far

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Never really considered Hazel Grove

and nor should you

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

Never really considered Hazel Grove. How long does it take to reach the Roman Lakes on a mountain bike approx? I also forgot to add that my sales patch covers the north west so getting to the M1 isn’t too high a priority.

What about High Lane?

Abar 20 mins from the Grove to Roman Lakes area on the MTB – perfect. The Rising Sun is also the gateway to road riding on the lanes, if that’s more your thing.

High La, Poynton are OK in a parvenu sort of way – different communities to the Grove, despite lying adjacent.

mrsheen

High Lane might/might not be appealing if they get to build a housing estate on one side.

Hazel Grove seems to cover a large area of varying desirability. Train station seems to get more stopping trains than other stations nearby. Car park free too.

Marple always seems to get good reviews all things considered.

South Stockport suburbs mentioned are viable options too. Pointon traffic can be a pain but think there’s a bypass planned there so that might change in years to come.

Premier Icon MartynS
    Subscriber

Lived in the area for 40 odd years..

Poynton. Nice big village feel.. bit “Cheshire” now loads going on, decent food and bars. Access to bypass is easy, airport is now a 10 minute drive, and there you pick up the M56. Traffic has been bad for years, because of the bypass construction. I believe it’s much better now. It’s a hop and a skip through Lyme park to access the peak proper.

Hazel Grove. Some really nice bits to live although everything like bars and food are down the hell road that is the A6. Again at the south end you’re near the bypass.

High Lane/Disley. I’m not keen.. there’s nothing really there and what is there is bisected by the A6 again. It gives the place s weird feel IMO.

Marple’s nice, again decent food and bars good riding from the door

Im in New Mills and really like it. Right on top of “real” Peak riding

im going to throw in Whalley Bridge as well.. nicely backward as a mate of mine described it!

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

+1 for New Mills. I lived there for a few years + Furness Vale. Good riding from the doorstep, trains, a few decent pubs, arts theatre, pool etc. Crucially it’s on the edge of the Peak park whilst still being relatively well connected.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Marple, Macc and the places on the outskirts of the peaks (Whaley Bridge, Furnace Vale etc) already mentioned. I live in Macc, near the forest. It’s nice having decent riding nearby plus the canal and Middlewood way.

I regularly drive down to the midlands for work and it’s just a half hour drive through Congleton to get to the motorway. I’d avoid Hazel Grove, it’s just an extension of Stockport and the A6 is a depressing road.

IHN

im going to throw in Whalley Bridge as well.. nicely backward as a mate of mine described it!

He was right n’all 😉

Surprisingly connected too, over the top to Pott Shrigley then Adlington, then you’re a stone’s throw from the new South Manchester Airport Link road wotchamacallit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.