Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Suggest me some Sci-fi
  • hols2
    Free Member

Where can I watch The Expanse?

Amazon Prime

beinbhan

The Expanse is on Amazon Prime

johnners
    Free Member

Where can I watch The Expanse?

It used to be on Netflix, it’s on Prime now.

edit …and if you don’t refresh your screen you repeat stuff that’s already been covered!

gauss1777
    Free Member

Space 1999?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Babylon 5?

martinhutch

What’s good about the Expanse? The fact I managed to fall asleep five minutes in has held me back from a second go at it…although, to be fair, I’d just got back from a long ride around some Dales Garbage and this may not be a judgement on how gripping it is.

nickc

What’s good about the Expanse?

Nothing, it’s turgid self indulgent crap. (same as OA and Another Life) One of the great things about streaming telly is that stuff that normally wouldn’t get past a pilot gets made, the downside of the streaming services is that things get made that should get past the pilot.

nicko74

Stranger Things.

Most recent season of ST was ace.

Nope. Utter pony – the 80s shopping/ colour/ music montages are just brutal and illustrate how badly they were struggling to fill the time.

The OA was strangely addictive.

Everyone I’ve spoken to says they have no idea what it’s about, but that it’s totally addictive to watch. I can’t work out from that whether the wife would watch it or not

greavo

Fringe is fabulous. Walter Bishop is my favourite character ever.
    V (2009). Morena Baccarin – enough said.
    Battlestar Galactica (2005) is great.
    The Event (2010), it was canned after 1 series but I actually liked it.

Coyote
    Free Member

Go old school! Space 1999 and UFO.

johnners
    Free Member

Go old school! Space 1999 and UFO.

UFO just for what people in 1970 (well, Sylvia Anderson) thought they’d be wearing in 1980. The submarine crew uniforms were an unusual take on workwear. Who’d have thought silver string vests would have been the way to go?

z1ppy

Fringe, I had thought everyone was overlooking this, probably due to the main actor not being able to act for shit but Walter (John Noble) is ace & so is Gene (that and Leonard Nimoy also appeared quite regulalry). It’s mad as a box of frog but good sci-fi fun

Del

Think bsg lost its way during the writer’s strike?
    The first series of the expanse was a bit poor, but the second better. It felt like they were all getting in to it a bit more.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Trying to come up with ones not mentioned already…

X Files (not the two recent mini-seasons though, got a bit silly towards the end of the orignal final season IMO)
    Warehouse 13
    The Librarian
    Agents of SHIELD
    Under the dome
    The 100

Really took for granted just how golden the 1990s were for sci-fi series (X Files, various Star Trek, Babylon 5 etc.), a lot of the modern stuff doesn’t consistantly stay top drawer imo.

k1100t
    Free Member

The Expanse books are better than the TV show by a country mile, but that’s not saying much. Buck Rogers is a stone cold classic, season one is better than season two though; and yes, when I watched it as a tween, I fell for Erin Gray hard.

fossy

I initially watched ‘The Expanse’ with things like Kodi. Amazon took it on for a 4th and 5th season. Season 4 starts in December.

Kuco

The first series of V the remake was shite the second was really good but by then it got canceled. The same thing for Caprica, first was boring as hell the second 100% better then canceled.

I also had the misfortune of watching Another Life with Katee Sackhoff, Kept thinking this is going to get better at some point but no 🙁

I’d like to see/or maybe not a re-run of Space Above And Beyond or an updated remake.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Most things have been mentioned so I’ll take a different tact. Some science fact based drama. Manhatten, just clocked there’s a 2nd series which i’m about to watch.

It’s on amazon, decent viewing.

chomp
    Free Member

Final Space has been some of the funniest Sci-Fi I’ve watched in a while. Personally preferred it to Rick and Morty

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Space 1999

Babylon 5

Battlestar Galactica

Buck Rogers (aka what’s Wilma Deering wearing this week)

Another Life is dire

Enjoyed Trek Discovery

Rick and Morty is brilliant, very bleak on occasions and I’m now slightly disturbed by squirrels…….

Agents of Shield became hard work

Looking forward to ST Picard

squirrelking
    Free Member

Dollhouse. (aka ‘what’s Eliza Dushku wearing this week?’)

Just be ready for a rapid wrapup in season 2 after they found out they were getting cancelled. Another Joss Whedon dead end that didn’t deserve it.

Neon Genesis Evangelion. You ain’t seen bleak until you crawl into the mind of the worlds most whiny annoying teenager ever. Thankfully not a regular occurance, Shinji is a world class ****. But aside from that giant biomechanoids fighting alien invaders, what’s not to like?

Texhnolyze is also rather bleak and pretty slow but a good story in the end.

I still have Battlestar Galactica in the loft, unwatched, on Bluray. Keep meaning to get round to it. Missus enjoyed Umbrella Academy.

Think bsg lost its way during the writer’s strike?

Sounds about right, a lot of shows hit a trough of Marianas Trench proportions around that time.

athgray
    Free Member

Neon Genesis Evangelion. You ain’t seen bleak until you crawl into the mind of the worlds most whiny annoying teenager ever. Thankfully not a regular occurance, Shinji is a world class ****. But aside from that giant biomechanoids fighting alien invaders, what’s not to like?

I wondered whether this was worth a watch. I have started watching plenty of anime but stuck with very few.

I am always expecting anime to have moved on from Akira, but at 30 years old I find it hasn’t been bettered.

Castlevania was good but that’s fantasy. In terms of sci-fi I quite liked Ajin Demi-Human.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Evangelion is definitely worth a watch, it’s a fantastic series. The reboots aren’t half bad either (only watched the first 2, waiting for 3.0+1.0 to come out and I’ll watch them all as a run)

athgray
    Free Member

I will look into it squirrelking.

andylc
    Free Member

I really enjoyed The Expanse but had various things on the go and then Netflix got rid of it!!

Just started watching Better than Us – Russian robot series – excellent so far.

andylc
    Free Member

Love Death and Robots was fun…

Cougar

Dollhouse. (aka ‘what’s Eliza Dushku wearing this week?’)

I’ll be in my bunk.

Ooh, yeah, I need to finish that at some point. Bite-sized one-shot episodes, all totally different. If you get something you don’t like, eh, there’ll be another one along in 15 minutes.

IdleJon

+1 Some were excellent, some less so but worth watching.

Interesting that someone said that The Expanse wasn’t as good as the books – I didn’t think much of the first of the series, when I read it. And I’m sure I started to watch it and got a little bored. Was going to give it another try but haven’t got Prime!

andylc
    Free Member

Watched another ep of Better than Us (Netflix) last night – nothing groundbreaking but good acting and very nicely filmed, if you can cope with subtitles. Also it’s fun to work out how to swear in Russian…

muddy@rseguy

Whoever said CowboyBeepop…yup, utterly brilliant in the way that really good Japanese Anime only can be. The movie (90min) is very good too. No longer on Netflix as they are rumoured to have commissioned live action series

Knights of Sidonia is really good too. Im sure someone in Hollywood will make a movie of this soon and truly screw the whole thing up like they did with Ghost in the Shell

Altered Carbon was surprisingly good in spite of a few “ooh-er, um, ok I got it, now please put your clothes back on: you’ll catch your death if you keep walking around like that” moments.

Now, a left-field suggestion is the very wierd Netflix sci-fi series Maniac, its a remake of a equally odd Norwegian TV series about two people taking part in an experimental drugs trial that alters their perceptions of reality…really weird, slightly ennui feeling but but starts to come together as the series progresses, I really enjoyed this one.

The OA first series is near death experiences, kidnaping, storytelling, interpretive dance and hello to Jason Isaacs (good btw)

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Checkout the Dust channel on YouTube.
    Lots of interesting SciFi and some crap.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7sDT8jZ76VLV1u__krUutA

squirrelking
    Free Member

Maniac is brilliant.

And I liked Ghost in the Shell. Maybe going in with low expectations helped.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Oh, nearly forgot, Dark S2 is out there now.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Suggest me some Sci-fi’ is closed to new replies.