Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Suggest me some professional chefs knives…
  • captainscrumpy
    Free Member

+1 for Hattori HD. Just be careful how you sharpen them. Professional chefs don’t necessary know best.

doof_doof
    Free Member

I ordered most of my Japanese knives from JCK here.

Very good service and orders arrived within 7 days.

Price is good even after tax. (no tax incurred for me)

Japanese Chefs Knife

Hattori HD Series:

HD-2 Petty 135mm US$103.00

HD-7 Gyuto 210mm US$172.00

or

Same website

Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Series (Gingami No.3): (rust proof)

TJ-45G3 Petty 150mm US$72.00

TJ-25G3 Gyuto 210mm US$124.00
    or
    TJ-20G3 Gyuto 240mm US$145.00

Hiromoto Tenmi-Jyuraku Series (Aogami Super) is the best but then if you are not used to patina then just get the above.Hiromoto AS

With your budget of £180 you will be able to cover for postage and have some spare change.

Anyway have a look at their website.

Ignore everyone else and listen to this^^ Just factor in some money for a shapening stone.
    I’ve bought Misono, Fuijiwara and Hiromoto from JCK, all much nicer to use than thick ‘Western’ knives.

scaredypants

😯

(that is all. carry on)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    marsdenman
    Free Member

3 Henkels – 1 x 4 star + 2 from the next rung down about £45 all in from TK’s the other month…. 🙂

ChrisA66
    Free Member

I think Anthony Worrall Thompson may have a set for sale soon. Or order the Nesbitts catalogue, that’s what I did when I was a chef.

Cougar

I don’t know much about knives but, that thing under your worktop that slides in and out? It’s called a drawer. *twitch* *twitch*

piemonster

I think Anthony Worrall Thompson may have a set for sale soon.

Ginger people, not to be trusted.

Especially in supermarkets

CountZero

Having rather fallen for the Ikea Damascus knife, I had a quick look at the Kin set; damn, but that’s good value, and nice looking knives, too. Hmmm, decisions, decisions. 😀

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

The catalogue you need is actually Nisbets not Nesbitts . Your money but I can’t think why you would spend that much on knives it is simply not necessary .

chewkw
    Free Member

Bought three of this recently at TK Maxx because I just like the feel of a very wide nakiri … very cheap at less than £7 each as it’s made of cheapo stainless steel. The brand is Nirosta. It is not a bone smashing cleaver by the way.

My next objective is to customise one … or two … by the Jap master or my blacksmith wannabe friend.

:mrgreen:

mattjevans
    Free Member

Whatever you get, buy a proper whetstone (2 sided, one coarse one fine) and learn how to hand sharpen. I love to sharpen knives and do a lot of my neighbours and wifes friends knives. If you haven’t done this before I would suggest staying away from Japanese style knives with “one sided” edges, they a bit are more difficult to sharpen.

If a knife is properly sharp it should be able to basically slip through a sheet of newspaper with absolutely minimal effort

For all the negative comments about Global (and yes they are a bit light and yes they do break a bit easier than you’d like) they do take and hold an edge very well IME.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Serious question, how do you manage to break a knife if you use it for what it’s meant for?

PiknMix
    Free Member

Bradley, good choice enjoy (even the pros forget just how sharp they are when new)
    enjoy 😉
    Are you going to wax the box that holds the sacred swords? (sorry)

Drac

I started looking at that Nisbet website, so many toys.

CountZero

Serious question, how do you manage to break a knife if you use it for what it’s meant for?

Well, I’ve seen plenty of people smash up garlic by using the flat of a blade, but as far as I know, a Global doesn’t have a tang, the blade is welded to the handle, so that’s a primary weak point right there. So long as a knife has a good, solid tang then it should take most of the abuse dished out by a chef. I certainly wouldn’t trust my Global to take that sort of a hammering, not that I smash up garlic anyway!

mattjevans
    Free Member

Its quite difficult. Which is why they usually get broken by accident eg. Drop on a hard floor, tip breaks off. Sitting in a sink to be washed, peice of cast iron cookware drops in, broken blade. Etc. just some are more accident proof than others

osteo1
    Free Member

have a whole set if henkels they are a pleasure to use and are a classic professional knife, globals falling out of favour due to reasons stated above they keep selling as they have great product placement in tv shows etc!

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

You don’t leave a sharp knife ” sitting in a sink to be washed ” if you want to keep all your fingers . It’s a huge no no in a professional kitchen for the same reason except it will be the kitchen porters fingers not yours.

piemonster

” sitting in a sink to be washed ”

AROOGA AROOGA – Kitchen law alarm bells sounding

Drac

mrjmt
    Free Member

JCK +1

8)

mattjevans
    Free Member

You don’t leave a sharp knife ” sitting in a sink to be washed “

And yet, despite this apparent law, people do….

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Suggest me some professional chefs knives…’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts