Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Suggest me another family_oab family holiday destination
  • matt_outandabout

Thinking about next summer already…

We like walking mountains. We like riding bikes – off road mainly, but one oab is becoming a touring/road/gravel rider. We also like to canoe as a bonus if possible. We self cater. We do cheap/affordable.

Ideally Europe, driveable.

So far I’m going on surroundedbyhills suggestion of central Spain or my bosses recommendation of south east Germany.

Edit: just done the Tatra’s, liked Les Gets, loved the Massif Central, I’d love to do Scandinavia…

tjagain

Slovenia ( I think I said that last time)

kcal

based on my observations on a one week walking holiday – myself and AM – from the Spring, it *might* be worth looking at Vercors. Less in the way of obvious canning going on though I couldn’t rule it out, but a lot of walking to be had, well marked trails for foot and bikes, white roads for the gravel rider. We would be back in a shot.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lake Garda, chewely scrub that..

Lake Lugano.

Bettererrr x 1.9m times.

rickmeister

Polish Lake District, the Masuren lakes. Canoe camping, bike trails, great value.. But a bit of a drive…

matt_outandabout

@tandemjeremy – like the look of slovenia, getting there looks a faff….

tjagain

easyjet to lubiyana.

sbtouring
    Free Member

Denmark, not too far (compared to spain)

anagallis_arvensis

like the look of slovenia, getting there looks a faff

Or Ryanair to Trieste…then head up Soca Valley.

OP wants to drive though.

How about Stockholm Archipelago for paddling?

johnny63

Connemara

ElShalimo

SE Bavaria around Berchtesgaden or Chiemgau Alps

Kärnten/Carinthia in Austria

The Black Forest is also a good place but has less lakes to play in

RoterStern
    Free Member

Chiemgau is a good shout but as with Austria you can get unlucky with the weather ( lots of thunderstorms). But you have everything there. Lots of mountains and big  lakes to play in.

cchris2lou

Come down to us, Millau, south of massif central.

Mtbing is great, from gravel to full on Enduro.

2 rivers and 3 lakes for canoing.

Mountains to jump off with parachute,

Trails for running of road

Etc….

I can even help out with accomodation.

mrb123
    Free Member

Potes in the Picos de Europa.

Would have said Dolomites but it’s not cheap.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Eastern Germany/ NW Czech Republic is definitely on our ‘to do’ list, we took the train through the Czech border along the Elbe and it just looked fantastic. Saxon/Bohemian Switzerland National park depending on which side of the border you’re on. Lots of outdoorsy stuff, river looked very calm so good for canoeing.

We’re heading out to Baden-Baden (SW along the French border and the Rhine) so will give you an update then. Just about northern extent of the Black Forest but hopefully we’ll venture further in..

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I did the SE Bavaria, Berchtesgaden and Salzburg  trip a few years back. Stunning area.

A little closer to home I’m off to The Ardennes on Thursday.

i_like_food

Obviously I’m going to suggest what I’m doing… Bourg St Maurice.

Lots of lift accessed riding/walking/running.  Isere river whitewater center (I’ve no actual experience of this, but run past it every day and the campsite there is rammed with paddlers).  Gravel riding everywhere, but you need to have good legs as it’s not very flat. Via Ferrarta and climbing close too.

9 hours drove from Calais.

ceept

Hmm. The best place I can think of with all the aforementioned is pretty much where we live.

So many people come here on holiday, sometimes we forget why, and trying to find elsewhere with all the same opportunities is going to be a challenge.

I will be really interested to see where you end up.

matt_outandabout

How about Stockholm Archipelago for paddling?

This, this would interest me…

SE Bavaria

My boss is evangelical about this area.

easyjet to lubiyana.

Now how did that pass me by? See if I can work out the release schedule for them…

mrs_OAB now threw in a wild card – house swap/holiday at home this year while we save for Canadia or visit brother in NZ….

big_scot_nanny

A follow up question on this for Jolly Green Giant – how was the Ardennes? where did you stay? Good family stuff and MTB-ing?

We are thinking of going in the summer with a couple of other families, somewhere near a river and some hills, would be great for a little inside skinny.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Suggest me another family_oab family holiday destination’ is closed to new replies.