Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Suggest me a fast rolling tyre for general use
  • bradley
    Free Member

Not Bonty XR4 as that’s what I have ATM both ends. Open for suggestions on a combo front/rear. General chilterns riding so some hard pack some mud some rocks etc. Starting to wear through the XR4s. Don’t wanna be spending £40 per tyre though, max of £25?

HermanShake
    Free Member

ADvantages are great, the 2.25 is quite large and they cope well with all sorts. Available in various versions from wire 70a up to fancy pants whistles and bells.

I managed to seal up a basic wire bead as duct tape tubeless on my 719 😀

I’m currently on the Chunky Monkey/Smorgasbord combo but haven’t used them in mud yet. Time will tell.

Lots of people seem to like Nobby Nics and those Black Chilli Rubber Queens.

br
    Free Member

When I lived near the Chilterns I ran a XR4 front and Larsen rear combo, except in winter when it was a pair of Mud X’s.

And where in the Chilterns are these ‘rocks’ you speak of?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Kryton57

I’ve ridden XR4’s and Nobby Nics (snakeskin) all conditions in the Chilterns, but also a Rocket Ron (F,snakesin)and Racing ralph (R, snakeskin).

The latter was much faster but will cost you, the XR4’s and Nics are much the same with the XR4’s being cheaper and easier to manage in the turns.

I’d stick with the XR4 TBH, more so after the recent review in this months STW mag…. 😀

zippykona

Bonty muds.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

WTB Bronson

Northwind

Still really liking the Kenda Slant 6 on the back- good volume, surprisingly grippy considering it looks like a slick with acne, even works a bit in mud (it doesn’t exactly grip, but it also doesn’t clog so it’s very consistent) I wouldn’t put one on the front though.

bradley
    Free Member

There are some sections around Christmas commons with a few loose rocks and chalk rubble. I’ll take a look at Advantages. Been looking at the on-one combo, for like £30 a pair I might aswell give it a shot. Dual compound or not?

Kryton57

bradley – Member
    Dual compound or not?

Yes – and if you get them I’d be interested to know how you get on with them….

bradley
    Free Member

Ive found XR4s good but just fancy a change when these wear out…

bradley
    Free Member

I might just get the on-one combo for £30 and try it, will report back in a few weeks once I get a chance to get out for a decent ride.

Northwind

Is there no tyre thread that won’t get a Smorg/Chunk recommendation? Fast, slow, grippy, muddy…

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im liking the Racing Ralph on the rear currently, it held up well to saturdays bone dry abuse, and it ok if the going is a little moist.

chakaping
    Free Member

I might just get the on-one combo for £30 and try it

How important is the “fast rolling” bit?

You might be a bit disappointed. They’re fast rolling for beefy tyres, but not compared to some of the tyres mentioned in this thread.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Dual compound or not?

Yes, IMO/IME the compound and casing construction have more impact on the grip than the tread. Unless you try and ride a mud tyre over rocks or vice versa, but for any reasnoble tyre/conditions combination.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I’d say go dual compound folding, but stick a Monkey on the front. The Smorg doesn’t have a lot of shoulder and rides in a fast n’ loose sort of way, some of the knobs have thin profiled raised edges to roll faster but they can let go easily because of this; which is fine once you know!

Went up tubeless very easily, no compressor needed. If they work in the mud I’ll buy another pair while they’re still cheap.

HermanShake
    Free Member

EDIT: when I say compressor I am referring to the 9p wonder.

bradley
    Free Member

Not that critical regards fast rolling.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Suggest me a fast rolling tyre for general use’ is closed to new replies.