Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Suggest a tent for me….
  • keppoch

Looking for a tent for two. To be used for general camping and carrying on multi-day walks/treks in mountains.

Requirements are:
    – Space for two
    – Not too heavy
    – Not too expensive (ideally <£200 though can afford more, happy to consider 2nd hand)
    – Decent porch space for bag storage and cooking if raining
    – Able to sit up in/get dressed without extreme contortion skills

I own a Vango Banshee 200

– It is light 2.1kg, cheap but irritatingly small inside and porch

I borrowed a Vaude Mk2 light

– It was lightish 2.9kg and had good space inside but you couldn’t cook in the porch

I looked at a Alpkit Visio 2

– It looks good for requirements apart from getting a bit heavy at 3.3kg

Any other suggestions before I limber up to carry the Alpkit 😀 I guess one option is to put up with no cooking scale porch.

scotroutes

Lighter tent and rig a tarp for cooking?

dknwhy

Tarptent Stratospire 2? You’ll have to compromise a little on the porch aspect but the inner is removable….

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a Vango tent, I think it’s the Spirit 200+ but is very similar to this one Sleeps two comfortably and the porch is massive, you could probably fit a bike in there 😀

I’m 5’11” and can sit up comfortably in it which for the size and weight isn’t too bad.

matt_outandabout

Lighter tent and rig a tarp for cooking?

For £200 that is the winner.

That or one of these two?

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF130.html

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelters-1/WF122.html

scotroutes

You do realise that the Hex Peak price doesn’t include the inner?

keppoch

Take your point on the tarp for cooking. That could well be an option but regardless I still need a new tent as the Banshee I own is just to small and the Vaude was on loan

The tarptent looks superlight but we might be in this for a week at a time so probably not best suited to that type of use.

Can’t really spot the difference between the Vango and the Alpkit but it’s another option of that style.

The two matt suggests are something pretty different. Will look at more. I guess the first one doesn’t look to mountain/windy suitable at first inspection but the second one looks really good, the only shortfall I can see is that for nightime toilet excursions one person has to step over the other.

shermer75
    Free Member

supplied with a larger double nest as standard

Looking at the description I think it does come with an inner. The optional extra is a ‘single nest’ (inner), which leaves you with a much bigger porch

gobuchul
    Free Member

I would say a Wild Country Trisar.

Although I am biased as I have had an original Terra Nova version for over 20 years.

Wild-Country-Trisar-2-Tent-2017/m-16065.aspx

whitestone
    Free Member

Most tents (and that includes the big family frame tents) will stand up to a good deal of wind. Granted you wouldn’t be pitching one on the Cairngorm plateau in the middle of winter but for most usage you don’t need the build (or cost) of a full mountain tent.

matt_outandabout

You do realise that the Hex Peak price doesn’t include the inner?

The subtle difference between a 6, 6a and 6e….. I am confuzzled…

matt_outandabout

Although I am biased as I have had an original Terra Nova version for over 20 years.

And I sent back multiple Wild Country tents a few years back for such sh*t construction, and a further three that failed along seams within a few uses.

IMO, the Vango’s we ordered at the same time were better built.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I like the Vango Halo 200 and miss it since finally gave in to UV after years of heavy use. Bags of room to sit up, self-supporting geodesic – ie very sturdy, pitches tight. Option to use as shelter without inner, also pitches in one with inner pre-attached if one chooses.

Split pack between two and is carry-able (<2kg p/p). Small porch/exit either side so just choose the least windy one in which to cook)

scotroutes

Looking at the description I think it does come with an inner. The optional extra is a ‘single nest’ (inner), which leaves you with a much bigger porch
    [/quote]

Ah yes, my apologies.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Suggest a tent for me….’ is closed to new replies.