Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Suffering from the recession, who else
  • Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Well I don't need one any more (CSCS card) but it came in handy for a while.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually, in the same mate's block, the council had all the stairs and communal areas redecorated. The contract firm had a bunch of Community Service lads doing the basics. 3 flats were burgled by some of them (they were so dopey they offered the goods to people in the same block!) and the work was so bad that a proper firm had to come in and re-do all the work. I bet that was economical.

My point was, at the lower end of things, standards will slip further, and those at the poorer end of society will get an even shitter deal.

Isn't capitalism brilliant!!!!!

Isn't it just.

donks
    Free Member

Well my card is a gold one but does not actually have anything written on the back so no real indication of what qualifications you have, but i take your point that if you have submitted all relevant paperwork to them to produce the correct coloured card then it may speak for itself….so long ago i have forgotten what the process was.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

standards will slip further, and those at the poorer end of society will get an even shitter deal.

Actually I reckon that's nonsense. For example, Barratts top end property is shite imo. Sure it might look pretty, but the materials and gear they use is really cheap and nasty crap, and they couldn't give a toss about the standards on £500k-£750k plus property……they just put them up, flog them, and forget about them.

Housing association stock on the other hand, is a completely different kettle of fish. HAs know what they want, and also know that the property will still be theirs in decades to come. They might not look so pretty, but HAs are a pain in the arse (and quite rightly) when it comes to specifications and standards.

Standards are far higher in the public sector than the private sector imo.

donks
    Free Member

I reckon you have a point there as public sector money only gets doled out on the proviso that it is risk managed i.e. a main contractor has to be involved and that usually means consultants crawling all over it, where as private sector is their own risk and corners often get cut.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I can't be bothered with this any more.

Everything's shit, and we're all doomed. That's about it really.

As an example, the stir-fry I made a couple of days ago was inferior to the one I made last week. Proof that standards are slipping. It's too complicated to go into detail as to why, exactly, but basically it's a result of the recession.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Standards are far higher in the public sector than the private sector imo.

Agreed.

One of our clients is a rather well known supplier of satellite TV – social sector specs are MUCH higher (95% of the time) than private sector where everything is about cost cutting.

binners

I've lost the will to live. Really. I'm not ****ing joking either

cinnamon_girl

For tradespeople, I use http://www.checkatrade.com where customers post up recommendations. So far, I have been completely happy with work done and interestingly the chaps have all said they are very busy.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ah Binners please don't despair. I'm sure things will improve eventually.

I will ensure that the lamb chilli I'm about to make will be of a high standard.

Aristotle
    Free Member

For example…they couldn't give a toss about the standards on £500k-£750k plus property……they just put them up, flog them, and forget about them.

Indeed. Those large pseudo-Victorian-Edwardian houses are actually a bit flimsy and have a lot in common with those poor-quality, thrown-up, over-priced "1&2 Bedroom Luxury Apartments" that sprung up everywhere with lots of "TO LET" signs outside.

Housing association stock on the other hand, is a completely different kettle of fish. HAs know what they want, and also know that the property will still be theirs in decades to come.

Yes, when builders tried flogging their surplus "1&2 Bedroom Luxury…." stock to housing associations, they refused them.

woffle
    Free Member

maybe things are different down here in Sussex but we've had a complete pig of a time getting any tradespeople to even come and quote for work – we're looking at roofing, plumbing, having an extension built and various landscape / tree-surgery bits done. Have got fed up with calls not being returned or no-shows TBH…

richcc
    Free Member

I think there must be regional differences. Various firms sent us letters and brochures on spec, as a result of us having appeared on the councils planning applications list. Had a lot of interest, everyone contacted visited us and quoted. We're in Staffordshire

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Suffering from the recession, who else’ is closed to new replies.