Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • sufferfest any users?
  • DT78
    Free Member

used the vids long ago, then trainerroad for a few seasons then zwift. I really like sufferfests wider approach including yoga and strength training which would be super useful.

for the bike programmes are they only the hit interval make you sick stuff I remember or is there a variety for different training sessions such as sweetspot / steady state? I very much liked following trainerroads structured programmes a few seasons back and definitely had my best results from yhem

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Been a subscriber for a few years now and find them excellent. Since switching to the subscription model they have roled out a lot more videos of a wider range than before. They have training programmes from 1-12 weeks long which you can setup through a free membership to TrainingPeaks or FinalSurge. There are indoor only or indoor/outdoor plans, plans for specific disciplines etc.
    Definitely worth a look, I think they have like a 10 day free trial or something..

feed

I’ve been using it for close to a year. Was using trainer road prior to it but prefer Sufferfest. They brought out an update recently which was a big improvement. Allows you to overlay it on any program if using on a laptop / pc (watch Netflix when doing a workout). Also can turn down music to listen to your own music. They have a 4dp concept (Think that’s what it’s called) which focuses on your weak areas rather than just ftp.

I’ve never used zwift or other apps so can’t compare to these. Only downsides I can see are

(I) no android version, iOS and windows only. May be an issue for you

(ii) this might be in my head but it seems to take longer to change the resistance on my smart turbo that trainer road did, so target ftp drops to 80 but you’re still struggling along at 240 for 4-5 secs. Not really a deal breaker, just a minor irritation. Not an issue at all if not using a fully smart trainer.

Anyway, as mentioned above, free trial available.

DT78
    Free Member

I have a kickr, so was planning on using that at home, but did want Android for use at the gym for strength sessions as I use my Samsung phone.

Think I’ll give it a whirl, Trainerroad seems to be twice the price of sufferfest which is a surprise, given sufferfests content must cost a lot more to create.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

I use it with a KICKR as well and it’s pretty much flawless, I have come across the occasional lag as mentioned above but think it’s more of a mismatch between the video and the power profile, if you email their support and tell them about it they can update the power profile in an app update. It’s only happened to me on a couple of videos though. I would also highly recommend a high quality ant+ dongle if you are using a PC and a long USB extension so that the dongle sits right under the bottom bracket to minimise dropout issues.

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

Oh, one other thing to note. If you are using the windows PC version then it’s not a standard program it’s one of the ‘Metro’ windows10 apps. Doesn’t make any difference to anything except for one issue I had. If you are downloading the videos to use either offline or your broadband can’t reliably stream the video then all the downloads go onto your windows install drive. There is no facility in the app to relocate the download folder. I had an issue as I was using a small SSD for my C drive which had limited space. There is a way to redirect the video download folder using hardlinks but that’s a whole other deal, hopefully it won’t be an issue for you but it is solvable.

w00dster

I’ve used it for about 7 years, in the old none smart days through to using the current iteration connected to an iPad and on a watt bike.
    I really like it and prefer it to Zwift. I like the 4dp aspect, my weakness is in recovery from sprints, this is shown in road races with lots of cornering and sprinting out of corners.
    Anyway, after doing the 4dp test, this sets your power levels used for each workout. You then have a large selection of workouts depending on what you want or need to improve. Most workouts are hiit based, but there are still a load of tempo rides on there as well.
    Connectivity is a doddle and just works.

mogrim

Same as most of the above comments – I’ve been using it for years and much prefer it to Zwift. Since they’ve brought out the app they’ve really upped their game, with a lot more videos, training plans, strength/flexibility videos, etc.

I’m using the Windows version with a Bkool trainer and haven’t had any problems.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I really like Sufferfest. The fact that it’s a bit daft appeals to me, and regular use earlier in the year made a big difference to my fitness. They’re not all make-you-sick hiit sessions. Base and Form sessions are useful without having to bury yourself.
    I thought I might get bored with it, but hasn’t happened so far. Yoga sessions are good, too.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘sufferfest any users?’ is closed to new replies.