Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sudden jaw misalignment?
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Had a really odd experience last night. My lad kindly gave me one of his little Lindor choccy eggs and when I bit down I heard a loud ‘crack’ and had a pretty sharp pain in my jaw on the right side. It was just chocolate, not hard shelled or anything so no real bite force needed.

It was painful/sore last night and is still sore, but the strange thing is I can’t now bring my back teeth together and my lower front teeth now seem to be making contact with the back of my upper teeth when I try. I’ve never had that before.

Is this normal? Have I in someway realigned my jaw? Will it go away?

fossy

It was the right hook that your lad sneaked in when distracted with choccy.

Most likely pinged a ligament. If it persists, see a doctor

maccruiskeen

Might  be some swelling in/around the joint as a result of whatever popped – I’ve had ear infections that have made my jaw move weirdly and changed way my teeth meet when I bite.

The joint in your jaw doesn’t just work like a hinge – theres a sliding action too so any soft tissue swelling can impact on how it moves

Jakester
    Free Member

Thanks both – it’s ruddy annoying but good to know I’m not going to suddenly die.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

TMJ?

maccruiskeen

I’m not going to suddenly die.

You wish! Long and lingering. Death will come as a merciful release.

Jakester
    Free Member

TMJ?

Too much jelly?

You wish! Long and lingering. Death will come as a merciful release.

😂

maccruiskeen

😂

yes – thats the face – rictus grin and tears

wiggles
    Free Member

The chocolate was laced with coke

funkmasterp

Earlier symptom of the bad cat aids I’m afraid.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Had this out on a ride once when I hit some rocks/roots unexpectedly – jaw went crack. Got better with time but still clicks occasionally.

konagirl
    Free Member

As raybanwomble said, sounds like TMD/TMJ

Mine started in my late 20s or early 30s, possibly from clenching or grinding my teeth in my sleep. Find it is terrible when I lean my chin on my hand. If it happens again, open your mouth, try to relax the muscles in your cheek, push your jaw out so your lower teeth stick out past your upper, open to a wide jawn slowly. You might get a pop which hurts a bit but seems to realign it.

infidel
    Free Member

You’ve subluxed (partially dislocated) or dislocated the articular disc in the right side Temporomandibular joint. Disc lies between the head of the mandibular condyle and your temporal bone. It may well pop back in but that’s why your jaw is now mal-aligned. IF no improvement see GP for referral to maxillofacial team at hospital- they will be able to actually examine you (not guess online like me!) and pop it back in place.

HTH. I’m a head and neck radiologist and look at loads of TMJ MRI scans so not google doctoring you (though online can be a bit of a guess!!)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sudden jaw misalignment?’ is closed to new replies.