Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sudden intermittent knee pain – ideas?
  • Greybeard
    Free Member

I’m hoping somebody can suggest a likely diagnosis so that I can make a suitable appointment with a professional. On Boxing Day I banged the side of my knee getting out of a car, not seriously, the pain was very similar to banging my humerus – quite sharp but faded quickly. The next day I bent my knee to pick something up and the whole joint locked up and was very painful. I couldn’t move it for a minute or two, but it completed recovered in five minutes. The same again, today, but with a slight warning ache first.

Since the pain has gone, I’m not a priority for my GP (which is fair enough) and have an appointment on 13th Jan. But I have a ski holiday booked for 26th Jan, so if it’s something I can pay a sports physio or similar to help me with, I’d like to get it looked at sooner.

It’s not bike related, I haven’t done a lot recently. I’ve knelt in canoes since the initial bang, without any symptoms at all.

Most of the online advice needs current symptoms to work from. The best suggestion I can find is that I have a broken off bit of cartilage that’s floating around in the joint and sometimes gets wedged.

jimdubleyou

The best suggestion I can find is that I have a broken off bit of cartilage that’s floating around in the joint and sometimes gets wedged.

Sounds like that, or maybe a small tear that only gets caught by certain movements,

Sports physio should be able to diagnose, and maybe show you how to tape to minimise issues.

jamesoz

Had similar after snapping a chain and twatting my knee on the handlebars, random knee lock up at inconvenient times, such as crossing the road or rushing for a bus.
    Whilst swimming was the least amusing and a bit sinky.

Torn cartridge, needed a keyhole op. Recovery was quick and no scar, not that it matters given the state of my legs for scars.

swedishmatt
    Free Member

First tip is a physio or sports massage person (qualified). Or get a foam roller and roll outside and front side/inner of your thigh. Knee pain often relates to your thigh muscles. Tennis ball can work too ofc.

Or it could just be bruised ligament (or worse but it didn’t sound like you properly banged it?) and then foam rolling won’t help.

Best tip is a physio or sports massage who can quickly determine if it’s muscular or not.

tjagain

My guess would be bursitis. I very much doubt “footballers cartilage” ie torn meniscus

However – please go to a proper professional for diagnosis and advice. Physio should be able to help

woody21
    Free Member

Medial meniscus is my bet (I’m not a Doctor)

I’ve had similar issues and subsequently just had a knee arthroscopy to remove the errant piece of cartilage

Greybeard
    Free Member

Thanks all – I’m tending towards thinking it’s cartilage and will go and see a sport physio.

feed

I have a ski holiday booked for 26th Jan, so if it’s something I can pay a sports physio or similar to help me with, I’d like to get it looked at sooner.

A sports physio will probably be good and a GP prob won’t give any opinion until they see the results of an MRI. So on a practical level, for your holiday, I’d suggest getting one of those knee supports with the metal side hinges which give the knee a lot of support. Other alternative would be snow boarding which I’ve never done but I understand put less strain on the knees. Make sure you get coccyx armor though 🙂

ahsat

Go and see a physio. My Dad has just recovered from something similar which included a bruised meniscus. I likewise thought he’d torn it, but appears not.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I physio may or may not be able to help. A doctor may or may not be able to help.

Start with a physio, but you may need to move very rapidly to paying for a private surgeon consultation and MRI scan. Depends how bad you really think it is and how important your holiday is.

Don’t just buy a support without professional guidance. They can do more harm than good.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sudden intermittent knee pain – ideas?’ is closed to new replies.