Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Such a thing as warm shorts?
  • oldgit
    Free Member

I need a stack of new clothing right now, and was thinking of going back to shorts and leg warmers for winter as for some reason I've always hated wearing longs.
    And on some days I'll wear shorts, but use some strong embrocation to keep warm and the water out.
    I've never seen a 'Roubaix' short but there must be something about.

crikey
    Free Member

Nah…

Embrocation doesn't keep you warm, if anything it will help to chill you by causing vasodilation. It's ok for racing, but not for getting the miles in.

Get some longs on, stop being daft!

…or at least some roubaix bib knicks.

epicyclo

Hair restorer on your legs? 🙂

I've been thinking much the same because I get quite hot while climbing. Maybe Victorian cycling fashion had a point. Plus fours and thick oiled wool stockings. You can always push the stockings down to cool off.

druidh
    Free Member
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

What about legwarmers??

Spot on IMHO..

oldgit
    Free Member

Shorts and legwarmers is the way I want to go. I need new stuff, and with the cross and road season now crossing over I want to stock up on shorts and legwarmers, but most shorts seem very lightweight.

Blurboy
    Free Member

I use Endura waterproof shorts in winter…very lightweight but warm because you stay dry…the lads I ride with reckon they look like incontinence shorts but I'm not the one with nappy rash!

Del

i was going to suggest altura waterproof shorts myself. that bit warmer than endura singletracks etc.

Unosprocket
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi do some thicker 'winter' bib shorts,I think Wiggle have some in stock.

qwerty
    Free Member

warm when wet

oldgit
    Free Member

That's good the product I want is out there.

oldgit
    Free Member

qwerty!

wrong wrong very wrong.

ChrisF
    Free Member

You should be wearing longs in a UK winter, thats it. If for some reason you can't bear them, some warm 3/4s (DHB do some decent and cheapish ones) with leg warmers over the top. Double layers on your knees is good.

Embrocation doesn't keep you warm, or 'keep the water out'. Do your legs get waterlogged without embrocation?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

…or at least some roubaix bib knicks.

the work of the devil 🙁

You should be wearing longs in a UK winter

I prefer not to do things because I "should" – I like to make my own mind up 🙂

Double layers on your knees is good

the medical evidence seems to be that, if you have bad knees, keeping them warm may reduce the pain, but there's none to say it protects them from damage else

Shorts and legwarmers

in pink presumably ?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Such a thing as warm shorts?’ is closed to new replies.