• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Leon.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Subwoofer help required
  • Leon
    Free Member

My home cinema subwoofer has just died. I’m going to try to fix it, but it is almost 20 years old and the hum of the transformer has annoyed all that time, so maybe time for a new one.

Trouble is, I have no idea how to choose one. I don’t want to spend much. The current one came from a Sony home cinema in a box I bought back in the day. I upgraded the reviewer some years back to a Marantz (to get modern things like hdmi support!), But kept the speakers.

I don’t need mega volume. It would wake the kids. I need something powered that takes an RCA input.

Also, quick sanity check. In my debugging, I used a 3.5 jack to RCA to output music from my phone to the sub. No sound came out, therefore I think it’s the sub, and not my reciever or cable. Correct conclusion?

andylc
    Free Member

Not sure about your diagnostics although it sounds logical. I have a REL Q201E which is fantastic quality and lovely build quality, quite a few older REL subwoofers are on fleabay for pretty decent cost.

bsims
    Free Member

https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/speaker-type/subwoofers/

I have had 16 years good service from some Monitor Audio speakers, so I will reconnect what I’ve got. They can be considered bright by some but that shouldn’t be an issue with a a sub!
    I find the speakers work well with Marrantz equipment and have no reason to suspect the sub won’t either. As always try before you buy.

Edit: not sure what your actual budget is so I hope this is helpful.

Why not upgrade your speakers to some small floor standers? More bass than you have but not enough to shake the house when the kids are asleep or in control of the tv. This option will take up less space than sub and speakers also.

5lab

I’d also recommend bk’s subwoofers, they seem a good budget-beaters.

Floorstanders don’t have quite the umph of subs, regardless of the size in my experience. I have monitor audio br1s with 2x 6.5” subs per side and adding a 10” sub made a noticeable difference

R.lepecha

Given the speakers you have are from a kit, I would assume they are realitvley small. This is a problem, most hifi grade(or similar) subwoofers are very efficient and great at super low frequencies. 15-80hz typically, above 80hz they are likely to roll off very quickly hence why most receivers set this as the crossover frequency; along with that most bookselfs and floorstanding speakers roll off in the other direction at this frequency.

If your speakers are quite small, they will start to drop off at a much higher frequency. Around 150hz typically IIRC, so the kits come with subs that suit that; smaller drivers and special porting… But, they don’t go to frequencies as low as a proper subwoofer.

If you have the space, spend the money on some floor standing speakers for the fronts and you’ll get a frequency response similar to what you have but without the need for a subwoofer.

Alternatively, buy one of the smaller Yamaha subs. Such as the Yamaha NS-SW100 or Yamaha NS-SW100 which have a frequency range between approx. 60 and 160hz which will work with the smaller speakers.

bsims
    Free Member

@5lab – Arn’t the BR1 fitted with 5.5in speakers? These would be mid/ bass and not designed to produce the really low frequencies, especially as they are designed to fit into book shelves with limited room.
    I find my B2s are adequate in the corner of a room and the only difference I notice between friends systems with subs is that at home I don’t feel like I need to turn down explosion scenes or those with heavy mood music.

Placement I think is all and room size as well, speakers can sound punchy in one room and them quite flat in more space etc…

5lab

Sorry, typo on my behalf. They’re br6 – so 1 6.5″ midrange driver and 2 6.5″ bass drivers per speaker. Theyre plenty for music, but lfe on action films benefits from the sub. Just need to upgrade it to a 12″..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’d try to fix yours if I were you. It’s just electronics and you might be able to get a replacement board or get someone to fix it. It’ll most likely be down to one single component. My Kef Model 30b is getting on for 20+years old now and has some funny buzzing noises and keep meaning to let an electronics geek take a look. I’m struggling to find much out there south of £500 that comes close to it so loathed to part unless I absolutely have to. I’m sure there is an electronics geek closeby who can trace the fault. These things haven’t really moved on over the years, the electronics are fairly simple…it’s probably a dodgy capacitor or something.

neilbarnsley

Spend is relative. Wharfedale make some stunning 10 inch units for the money. A little more the Dali 12 inch in Walnut is divine

bsims
    Free Member

Ahh , I know what you mean. I prefer the explosions a bit calmer rather than feel them😃

My room architecture must amplify the bass. I’ve got a bow window to the left and alcove to the right.

I was looking to get some bronze 5s when the B2s expire, more b3cause they are slimmer than the extra bass.

Didn’t Cerwin Vega do 18in subs?!

twonks

If you like tinkering then having a go at repairing your existing unit isn’t a bad idea but, I’d look no further than BK electronics for a suitable replacement.

With respect, even their bottom model will be a lot better than any main branded kit sub woofer – assuming it can be matched well with it’s own controls and/or the AV amp.

I’ve had BK subs for nearly 15+ years and they are about as good as you get for the money.

bsims
    Free Member

Do they make floorstanders? It’s does have a link to speaker building but not much info.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

which have a frequency range between approx. 60 and 160hz

a sub MUST have a sharp filter so no output above 100Hz, or you will be able to place where it is – so it will either need to be in the centre of your speakers, or you will need 2 subs, which is difficult to set up.

A sub will also let you play with the level and crossover so may well produce a better match to your room than a floorstander – which you might even end up having to place in a non-WAF position to get them to work ok.

If the original came from a Sony home cinema setup it is not likely to be that good, although it might have worked well in your room. So it might not be worth the cost of repairing.

M&K used to make exceptional subwoofers – they are not the same company now and I haven’t followed them to know if they are still good, but you might find a cheap M&K on ebay.

Otherwise BK and REL have good reps.

andylc
    Free Member

A second hand decent REL model (other hifi subwoofers are available) will be a massive be step up in quality from what you have. If you’re after bass that is controlled rather than a boomy mush then a subwoofer designed with high end audio in mind will be much better than a cheap new one.

downshep

The subwoofer in my KEF KHT 2005 5.1 surround package died a couple of years ago. I replaced it with a BK XLS 200 FF, hoping it would be adequate. It is actually far better than the original and works seamlessly with the KEF eggs. Highly recommended for the cash.

Leon
    Free Member

Some good info here. The Sony kit was pretty basic. 4 tiny speakers for the corners, a centre speaker, and the sub. Tried to take the sub apart, but the frame is all glued chipboard. None of the bits I could get to seemed to be the problem.

Have bought the 2nd cheapest (budget is “not much”) Yamaha from richer sounds, as it has good reviews and they said I can take it back if it’s either not the sub, or I don’t like it .

Interesting about the floor standers. I’ve actually got my old hifi speakers in the loft (banished for being too big! Not floor standers, but I do have stands. Wonder if they’d be better.

Tbh though, I’m not really trying to improve anything. As it was it was ‘ok’. Loads better than just the TV speakers. If I wanted to improve anything, it would probably be the centre for dialogue, but the current one is low enough that it sits on the table in front of the TV without obscuring the view. Anything bigger and I need to raise the TV..

aphex_2k
    Free Member

You’ve checked the fuse in the sub, right?

Leon
    Free Member

It powers up fine, just doesn’t make any sound. Or is there a second fuse (off to investigate now)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Subwoofer help required’ is closed to new replies.