Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Subversive 90’s Television
  • garage-dweller

I used to like Get Stuffed.

Excellent choice…

Was on not long before Raw Power in the middle of the night. With the very entertaining Krusher and dog … “Drooogies, boozers, strumpets and losers”. Seem to remember someone on here’s dad used to be friends / drinking buddies with him.

Discovered many excellent bands of the 90s through that show.

richardkennerley

How’s about liquid television? Pretty sure it was early evening on BBC 2? Showed the original Aeon Flux cartoon.

eyestwice
    Free Member

Wow!

The Word.

Brass Eye.

Shooting Stars.

All mentioned already. But I miss Dani, Dani Behr.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Forgot just how edgy The Big Breakfast was…

Cougar

Which show was it that had clips from Victor Lewis-Smith? And Dick Spanner? Drawn a blank with Google.

copa
    Free Member

Which show was it that had clips from Victor Lewis-Smith? And Dick Spanner? Drawn a blank with Google.

Think it was Network 7. Victor Lewis-Smith went on to have his own show, TV Offal.

Cougar

That sounds about right, yes! I had “Channel…” something in my head.

hot_fiat

The Mary Whitehouse Experience. In particular the History Today sketches which they later span off into a series all of their own.

See that unloved comic genius?

The one with the foppish hair and dead end career? I am a aware of such an individual.

That’s you that is. That’s your LinkedIn CV page. Rob Newman: that’s your name.

garage-dweller

@hot_fiat

That was a superb show and yet I’ve never found even a trace of it on YouTube to show the boys (who are old enough now to appreciate some of it). I can find wall to wall “Man from Auntie” but no MWE.

There was a friend of mine at school who had a more than passing resemblance to Hugh Dennis as the milky milky man in his winter coat.

garage-dweller

maccruiskeen

Gilbert the Alien’s residency on Get Fresh.
    A painfully bland and boring Saturday morning kids TV show that was made watchable by the anarchic spirit of a snotty-nosed alien.

Gilbert also had his own weekday evening show – a bizzare chain of conciousness surreal sketch show full of obscure cultural references about 50s football players and Englebert Humperdink and trying to sell 19th century paintings to Dieter Meier. It was the kind of humour you’d get on channel 4 after the pubs shut but it was on kids ITV at about 3.45 – I had to run home from 6th Form to catch it

He had short stint with a late night chat show too with guests like Cynthia Payne and Lee Bowery

maccruiskeen

Jam has to be the darkest comedy series ever made. The sketch where 2 parents sit in their living room discussing where their daughter disappeared in an offhand manner

Was Jam the series where they had the sketch about a bloke not wanting to jump off the top of a 13 story tower block in case he changed his mind on the way down so threw him self out of a 1st floor window 13 times instead?

Sandwich

Was it The Word where her off of L7 got her growler out

With Terry Christian back announcing “a snatch of L7 there”. Genius!

Celebrity Deathmatch, claymation with gore!

maccruiskeen

Anything with Julia Davis in – Jam, Big Train

jeffl

So many good memories. Worryingly it only seems like a few years ago but is probably knocking on for 25 years ago!

TheDTs
    Free Member

Nobody mentioned Ali Gee, yet?
    Some of these performers did go on to bigger and better things, didn’t they.
    “So would you give Margaret Thatcher a pearl necklace?”

didnthurt

I always liked Alexia sayle.

“Who’s that fat b@@@@@d?”

He’s still at it and it’s rather funny (IMHO) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b083vq05

The Word has left a real impression. Google the segment, ‘I’ll do anything to be on TV’

Packet of three was good. It help launch both Jenny Eclair and Frank Skinner.

I remember first watching the Vic Reeves Big Night Out and being equally confused and entertained. Bonkers stuff.

Loved Game On, strangely even after they changed the actor of one of the main characters.

Red Dwarf will always be a favourite, but that’s an obvious one.

Blackadder again was class.

Kryton57

Bottom Live was amazing, Lennie Henry live very different and er Jenny Powell.

maccruiskeen

Nobody mentioned Ali Gee, yet?
    Some of these performers did go on to bigger and better things, didn’t they.
    “So would you give Margaret Thatcher a pearl necklace?”

That was Daisy Donovan as the ‘Angel of Delight’ nterviewing Denis Healy. The 11 O’Clock show launched loads of careers – Ali G, Ricky Gervais, Jimmy Carr, MacKenzie Crook. Donnovan was actually the production company’s receptionist before they put her on screen.

didnthurt

Never heard of the Jam, isn’t YouTube fantastic. Just watched the first scene of the first episode and it was both unsettling and funny. The title sequence was like something from a horror film. I’m definitely going to keep watching it 😬

maccruiskeen

Never heard of the Jam, isn’t YouTube fantastic.

It started out as ‘Blue Jam’ late night (well early in the morning) on Radio One

maccruiskeen

TheDTs
    Free Member

Could have sworn it was Ali Gee that did that!
    Tbh, I was shitfaced for most of the 90’s

devash
    Free Member

Big Breakfast / TFI Friday were pretty edgy for the time they were on. I think everyone remembers the Shaun Rider incidents on TFI. So funny that Chris Evans ended up on Radio 2.

Channel 4 had the weirdest / craziest stuff on late at night. Does anyone remember TV Offal, or that Max Headroom show? There’d always be a manga, kung fu, or Godzilla film straight after that went on until 3 or 4 in the morning.

If you think Jam was weird, they did a version called “Jaaaaam” which was a remixed and distorted version, only played very late at night.

Cougar

I’d never heard of Jam so I googled it. It’s a Chris Morris outing. Because of course it is.

Cougar

… christ that was dark.

spacehopper

Vids..

Got a light steph?

Northwind

Jam was the work of unhinged minds.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Loved the Iannucci/Morris stuff, not only TV, Radio 1 used to have some good comedy on in the week a lot back then. I remember Lee and Herring being on there, Blue Jam, John Shuttleworth.
    Late 90s channel 4 had some excellent programming on on a Friday too, Vids, Bits and the magnificent The Trip, if anyone remembers that?
    I also discovered the Johnathan Meades programmes on BBC that are absolutely gems.

hot_fiat

History Today is on YouTube. Not much else of the MWE is.

Yep Red Dwarf was a massive part of my growing up and outlook on life.

You lot must all have gone to bed early on a Friday night, because after The Word and Eurotrash, which were both superb, you know what came on?

BANZAI!

How I used to howl at Mr Shakey Hands Man.

donks
    Free Member

Late night telly when we got back from the pub mainly involved watching the James Whale show which was just set up for him to be generally rude or obnoxious to his guests and every single show one of his phone in callers would manage to call him a **** before he could cut them off with his button thingy…. Followed by the hit man and her where absolute tools in white Ralph Lauren shirts would dance around the prettiest girl to terrible 90s house music but it was again watchable for Michaela Strachan who was very cute and Pete Waterman who was the biggest tool in the club trying to be cool and funny. After about 1am things got desperate and the TV pretty much went off air but we would still persevere and watch central job finder or cefax until the morning…amazing what amused us when we were 20 and stoned.

5plusn8
    Free Member

No Limits with Jenny Powell.
    On no wait, that was the 80’s.

twonks

What a thread for memories, although I’d never heard of Jam before either. Will have a watch later tonight.
    Hitman and her was a staple after a night out, which was weird as it was essentially shit.

Who also used to wake up to Trans World Sport as well?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member
    duncancallum

@thisisnotapoon

Yep posted a video before. Its such a random program…

richardkennerley

Who also used to wake up to Trans World Sport as well?

They’re was some good stuff on that, and I mostly hated watching sport.

That’s reminded me of Kabaddi on a Sunday morning on Channel 4.

sadexpunk

fantastic thread, so many memories that i need to look up on youtube.

just brought to mind one where i cant think who the presenter was, someone who went to on be a radio DJ was it? twas a heavy metal show, something along the lines of the Friday Metal Show or something and one of the presenters was a skinny metal head with glasses called Crusher or something equally inapt. always used to play Slayer and celtic frost etc….
    but its the blonde lass im trying to place. mary anne hobbs? ‘something’ nightingale? (not anne)

davros

There’s three series of blue jam out there.

andylc
    Free Member

I still have Jam on DVD. On the back it says
    Extras included in this package
    One crashing airliner, eight tons of geese and a 50ft plutonium bum.

Those were the days…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.