Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Subversive 90’s Television
  • devash
    Free Member

Was browsing through the Guardian website yesterday and this popped up;

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/sep/19/how-we-made-eurotrash-wed-look-at-all-these-strange-kinks-it-traumatised-a-generation

We’re mostly all of a certain age on here so there must be some people who remember Eurotrash from Channel 4? It got me thinking about some of the utterly brilliant Friday / Saturday night telly from the 90s. Adam and Joe, Fast Show, Bottom, The Day Today, Fantasy Football, Buzzcocks, Shooting Stars etc etc etc……

What were your favourites?

ads678

Loved Eurotrash. The accents we’re genius.

Favorite from that era, Vic Reeves big night out and The Smell of Reeves and Mortimor, but probably all the ones you mentioned.

Coyote
    Free Member

Brass Eye.

IdleJon

I’m gradually re-watching Coupling, which is a lot ruder than I remember. And I remember it being rude!

One of my favourites was Barry Welsh is Coming, starring John Sparkes. (He lives locally, but that’s not the reason I liked it.) Characters included Geraint Pilock, Aneurin Anus, Kenny **** (Mayor of Fishguard). It took me until a few years ago to realise that even the title was rude! 😀

scotroutes

O.T.T. Basically the adult, late night version of Tiswas.

Of course that was 1982…

IdleJon

O.T.T. Basically the adult, late night version of Tiswas.

Of course that was 1982…

Sally James getting her T shirt off? Or am I confusing stuff? I was only 14..

chakaping
    Free Member

I used to like Get Stuffed.

Was that subversive?

scuttler

The Word

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Fast Show – Nice.
    Bottom – saw the live version in Liverpool. Much better than the series (Hooligans Island)
    The Wonder years- just google Fred Savage
    Fraggle Rock – Jim Henson perfection.

Cougar

Allez. Salut maintenant.

copa
    Free Member

Gilbert the Alien’s residency on Get Fresh.
    A painfully bland and boring Saturday morning kids TV show that was made watchable by the anarchic spirit of a snotty-nosed alien.

sirromj
    Free Member

gobuchul
    Free Member

Reportage

razorrazoo

I used to like Get Stuffed.

The Word

Was it Friday or Saturday night, can’t remember but as a 15/16 year old telly viewing went The Word ->Get Stuffed -> American Gladiators -> Tour of Duty.

RustySpanner

Snub TV. Lots of good, slightly obscure indie music vids.

renoir shore
    Free Member

Along with the sublime Eurotrash, there was Iannucci / Morris stuff – The Day Today and Brass Eye, and Lee and Herring’s Fist of Fun and This Morning with Richard Not Judy. That lot are my 90s TV benchmarks. The latter had the audacity to air on a Sunday Lunchtime, which seems like something from another planet now.

drlex
    Free Member

I wanted to say Monkey Dust, but on checking, it was a few years later on.

Cougar

Was it The Word where her off of L7 got her growler out, or was that The Tube?

davros
    Free Member

Jam 😬

Edit. 3 months too late 🤦 I wasn’t too far off.

The 11 o clock show deserves a mention.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

It was The Word. Think it was presented by Amanda De Cadanet at the time.
    Anyone remember The Hitman and Her? I appeared on one episode in Southport’s Palm Court.
    As Rowley Birkin would say, I was very very drunk

devash
    Free Member

Jam 😬

That still counts.

Tuned into that one for the first time just as the sketch when the plumber comes round to fix the dead baby came on. Even by C4 Late Night standards it was a WTF moment.

devash
    Free Member

Was it The Word where her off of L7 got her growler out, or was that The Tube?

Yeah it was The Word. Good old Youtube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMykR5v8-XA

duncancallum

Anyone remember Pets a pupet show on late after Adam and Joe show.

With a wan king dog called Hamish

Cougar

Anyone remember The Hitman and Her?

For a little while I went to pub quizzes with my girlfriend under the team name The IT Man And Her.

sparky1uk

Staggering Stories of Ferdinand de Bargos. 1989 but close enough.

mrsheen
    Free Member

slowoldman

My Favourite John Sparkes character was Frank Hovis from Absolutely.

midlifecrashes

Before Eurotrash was Rapido.

copa
    Free Member

Anyone remember Pets a pupet show on late after Adam and Joe show.

Can’t remember that but triggered memories of something else in a similar slot.
    Late night Channel 4 show which highlighted weird stuff from US public access channels.
    May have been late 80s.

mattyfez

Banzai!

Northwind

Takeover TV and Adam and Joe Show are hilarious now, when you think of where they’ve ended up. I was watching Ant Man, with the model train sequence and thinking “this has some intense Adam and Joe Show vibes”…

bigdean

Remember nearly all of these.
    Was there a kids sat morning show “big mouth?” That had a presenter who’s previous work was Rita, Sue and Bob too.

Not 90’s but Any & Dec sat morning show had some bit “for the dad’s” I’m sure I remember Holly Wiloughby as an Alloy Alloy style french maid.

andylc
    Free Member

Jam has to be the darkest comedy series ever made. The sketch where 2 parents sit in their living room discussing where their daughter disappeared in an offhand manner and then not being arsed to go to the police station to identify the body because ‘it’s probably her, let’s not bother going to check’ is something I’ll never forget! Plus 8 year old gangster cleaner girl and many other sketches that pushed the art of comedy so far it made Brasseye look tame.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Fun fact. A school friend of mine was a presenter on Get Fresh and later was Scally the dog on ITV kids shows. I can always remember the college principal asking him exasperately ‘Just what are you going to do with your life?’. ‘Writing and presenting a TV show for Janet Street-Porter!’ was the answer.
    He is now a she and is quite a big shot director in Hollywood.

duncancallum

May be a bit nsfw

sirromj
    Free Member

Before Eurotrash was Rapido

I was trying to find a clip of dog boy at work earlier but failed. Did they show Ren and Stumpy after it of before or as part of rapido? Long tine ago!

johnx2
    Free Member

Lady One Question! Shaky Hands Man! Superb.

What show was Dennis Pennis on? Whatever happened to him (I know, GoT etc)

[ah the sunday show. What day was that on? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvghEZX9fNs ]

pk13

It was a good time time to be a teen. Vic and Bob are underrated in the industry if you ask me. I never watched adam and Joe but just look how far they both have gone in the industry.
    L7 on the word is a great performance by the drummer I’d forgotten about them great band.

cheese@4p

Friday night aprez-pub viewing was top notch back in the day.
    Rap,rap,Rapeeedo
    Jackass

matt_outandabout

The Rough Guide with the unique Magenta Divine.

One that definitely influenced me – The Munro Show.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.