Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)
  • Subtracting your stop and rest times from a timed event- would you do it?
  • brakes
    Free Member

2 hours of stopping…are you suggesting it’s a race? “challenge”?

perhaps it’s more akin to a time trial, where drafting is allowed.

hooli

Maybe strava has something to do with this? The bold, highlighted time shown is moving time, then below estimated average power, energy output, speed, average and max and calories is the elapsed time.

As a newcomer to cycling, he could be mistaken for thinking this is the time people use?

The Op’s wife isn’t cross with me BTW…I hope not anyway 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

brakes – Member

2 hours of stopping…are you suggesting it’s a race? “challenge”?

perhaps it’s more akin to a time trial, where drafting is allowed. [/quote]

And stops. Are you for real? Bring back druid!

“Timed mass group ride with stops and drafting.”

mrblobby
    Free Member

it not just a sportive though – that’s like saying the London Marathon is ‘just a fun-run’.

I can’t see anyone subtracting their “stopping time” from their official race time and claiming that’s their time for the London marathon!

Rorschach
    Free Member

People time themselves on sportives…..for real?

nemesis
    Free Member

Out of interest, why wouldn’t they? If you do it and want to see how you do even if just against yourself, you’d time yourself. I can’t see any issue with trying to keep up a decent average. People like to achieve things if only personal goals.

What’s an issue is if you act like a **** while doing that or maybe if you brag about your average after. Particularly if you didn’t really achieve it… 😉

brakes
    Free Member

And stops. Are you for real? Bring back druid!

“Timed mass group ride with stops and drafting.”

just relax. some people take great pride and enjoyment setting good times for events without the stress of racing. no need to pour hate.

convert

Well, seeing most of them give ‘awards’ for gold, silver and bronze times (often adjusted for age – i.e. 7hrs 10 for a senior, 7hrs 25 for a vet etc) it would be a bit weird if you didn’t.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Posting any kind of time is a naive really. It’s kind of quaint in a very patronising way, you’re first foray into riding a bike over a set distance while someone holds a stop watch. But it really isn’t a race and the London Marathon isn’t remotely comparable since a running race and a bike race are totally different events (drafting etc).

Your time is what it is either with or without stops subtracted but it doesn’t mean anything to anyone who has compete in either a categorised road race or a time trial. we all know it means very little (like Strava). If you want to get respect and admiration you have to enter an actual race.

BoardinBob

Your wife sounds really bitter. Tell her to focus on herself and never mind what anyone else is doing.

BillOddie

take him out at the weekend, rip his legs off and post the strava on facebook.

That’ll sort it!

Its alway nice to put some “Big I am” back in his box.

I’ve done it with a couple of rad gnar work colleagues, great fun.

nemesis
    Free Member

Its alway nice to put some “Big I am” back in his box.

Doesn’t that make you a “Big I am”? 😉

igm

May I draft a new entry to the rules.

The time shall be the total elapsed time
    Auto stop shall not be used. Time shall not be deducted for traffic lights, mechanicals, calls of nature or similar short stops. The exception is any cafe stop involving table service.

nemesis
    Free Member

I reckon there’s a cutoff though. On my old commute there was only one set of traffic lights but if I got caught on them at red, it’d take about 2-3 minutes to get through them. Given I did the route very regularly, I reckon I’m safe in saying that if I got stopped (so got 2-3 minutes rest), it didn’t improve my overall time on the ride (auto-stop on my computer).

Now, if you extend that out, eventually it would obviously be a benefit if you take it to extremes – the 200m/marathon example – but I don’t reckon that ‘reasonable’ stops on a ride make all that much difference to your capability to hold an average. In fact, for me, I find that stops probably make me slower as I cool down and legs stiffen, etc so restarting is crap.

montag
    Free Member

Holding bike aloft – one wonders, how many other ‘rules’ was he breaking?

In my experience, the average number of rule infrinements is significantly higher on sportives than on any other events.

As an aside, the only way true path to education is to get yourself out on the sunday club runs. This is the way that behaviour such as the OP’s issue can be corrected.

Oh, unless it’s a TT time is irrelivent. Racin’ is racin’ and ridin’ is ridin’. Just enjoy it.

Northwind

Rorschach – Member

Why not? I time myself on my commute.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Total time with breaks average speed without

Spot on. For sportives it’s always Total Time which is significant but for tracking my own performances (on any ride) I use Moving Time from Garmin Connect to calculate my average speed on the ride.

I don’t use auto-stop either because there’s no need and I can’t stand the Garmin beeping at me all the time (although I have to put up with my mate’s one doing so!)

nemesis
    Free Member

In my experience, the average number of rule infrinements is significantly higher on sportives than on any other events.

You seem to be suggesting this is a bad thing.

Given that the rules are only taken seriously by the terminally dull/stupid/serious/insecure, this is surely a very positive thing 😆

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member

You may be surprised to learn that some are even qualifying events for the Amateur World Championships, so yes, timing is actually quite important to those events.

Now get back under your bridge and keep telling yourself they’re not a race.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Total time is total time including breaks, cheating yourself otherwise especially as it’s a sportive not a race. But then again WGAF?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I time myself on the loo….but that’s different.
    There’s a world Amateur Sportive Championships….really?
    Races are easy to spot,everyone starts together and the first one home wins.
    The rest are (at best) time trials.

globalti
    Free Member

Indeed… does it really matter? On the few sportives I’ve done I have noted my overall time and my actual riding time and average speed. They are two diferent things, each of interest to me. On weekend rides I only record my riding time and average but in a competitive event the overall time is what matters.

Don’t criticise the poor relative just at the time when he’s happy with what might have looked immpossible a year or two ago.

cookeaa

Clock starts when you cross the start line and only stops when you cross the finish line.

Though as has been said, it’s not a race so who cares.

I’d be inclined to agree…

So he doesn’t want to count all the Cake-stops, never mind, in a real race he’d be “found out”, but it wasn’t a real race was it…

The bigger questions to ask are, firstly why is your Missus treating Sportives as serious competition? And why has she got such a problem with this fella?…

If it get’s the bloke in question out riding and gives him a bit of a boost in the exercise and confidence stakes then what’s so terrible about a bit of minor self-delusion?

akira

Taking into account the tragic news about the guy on leith hill I’d tell your wife that it doesn’t really matter. Good work from everyone who got round safely and great to see so many people enjoying bikes.

convert

Leith Hill incident

To be fair that might be a pretty reasonable reason for 2hrs worth of inactivity – must have created a lot of waiting. And makes completing in one piece seem like a reasonable objective.

IdleJon

Are there really Sportive World Champs?

imnotverygood

Jeezo. Only on here could a topic like this go in the way it has. Who cares? Even if it is ‘cheating’ he is probably claiming to be finishing 14,322nd out if 25,000. It’s a sportive. People like to time themselves, it gives them a sense of achievement. Nobody else gives two hoots.

nedrapier

I got a puncture yesterday but don’t subtract the time spent fixing it from my time (but do inform people that’s why I was 15 mins slower)

15 minutes to fix a puncture? Did you stop half way through for a cake?

nedrapier

I got a puncture yesterday but don’t subtract the time spent fixing it from my time (but do inform people that’s why I was 15 mins slower)

15 minutes to fix a puncture? Did you stop mid-repair for a cake?

pjt201
    Free Member

Someone should tell Josh Ibbett that he could rest for as long as he wants and subtract the time when he reaches Istanbul…

chakaping
    Free Member

Go on then, what was his previous infraction?

We’re all itching to know what her beef is with him.

Could he naively taking his time from his Strava btw? Surely nobody would knowingly lie about a sportive finishing time?

Or maybe I’m the naive one.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I did the Dragon ride last year and couldn’t have done it without the stops. 😆

Although my Strava moving time was 8h16m, my official time (and in fact the Strava time for the event route segment which of course is based on elapsed not moving time) was 8h33m, and that’s all I ever told anyone I did. If you reduce an “event” time when you’ve stopped for whatever reason you’re being deceitful, IMO.

drlex
    Free Member

@nemesis.
    The LVIS audax is brilliant- can you post here when the 2016 opens for entries?
    TIA

montag
    Free Member

I wonder, is this the reason why you aren’t ‘allowed’ to publich audax times?

ransos
    Free Member

@nemesis.
    The LVIS audax is brilliant- can you post here when the 2016 opens for entries?
    TIA

+1, though I abandoned it this year half-way through due to the ridiculous gale-force wind. I’ve pretty much given up on sportives – too much poor riding and £40 for a timing chip and free jelly babies doesn’t feel like good value.

I did the Exmouth Exodus on Saturday night – free to enter with proper grub at the stops, full English at the end, and donations to charity. If I wanted to time myself, I could’ve used my garmin.

amedias
    Free Member

I did the Exmouth Exodus on Saturday night – free to enter with proper grub at the stops, full English at the end, and donations to charity. If I wanted to time myself, I could’ve used my garmin.

+1, it was great, especially the cakestravaganza at the scout hut! And the disparity between my moving time and elapsed time before I arrived back at my front door is just comical 🙂

nemesis
    Free Member

LVIS audax entries open on Barry Jaeger’s birthday. 😉

The weather this year was a bit silly but most years have been decent enough. That said, the icicles on my BB after the 2013 edition were an interesting talking point

ransos
    Free Member

+1, it was great, especially the cakestravaganza at the scout hut! And the disparity between my moving time and elapsed time before I arrived back at my front door is just comical

I haven’t even looked at my Garmin, but I expect I’d be the same. Having done the biblically wet Exodus last year, this one was a real treat – zipping along the Somerset Levels with the full moon lighting our way. Including the ride to the start, and back to Exeter at the end, I clocked 221km. My legs are properly sore today…

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks all. My wife can be a strange and complex woman at times….

As said, my own feeling is (after years of gently nagging him as his weight crept up): good on you for getting out there and doing it, and I’d never discourage him at this stage as he really is keen. And he’s (IMO) a nice bloke.

I’ll chalk this up to my wife’s canny ability to pretend she’s forgotten a grudge until the payback moment arrives.

amedias
    Free Member

I missed last year but heard it was awfully wet! This year was fantastic though and I’ll definitely be back next year, I might even try and make a round trip of it and ride up from Exeter to Bath on the friday, stay over night and then ride back with the group on Saturday, that’ll screw my ‘event time’ somewhat 😈

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘Subtracting your stop and rest times from a timed event- would you do it?’ is closed to new replies.