Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Subjective I know, but what is your greatest album and why?
  • muggomagic

“Dre 2001” Dr Dre, best Rap album ever the rest is just noise.

Just as well I like noise then. In terms of rap albums pick one from Beastie Boys – Ill Communication,
    nas – illmatic, PE – It takes a nation of millions to hold us back, Eric B and Rakim – Paid in Full, Wu-Tang – Enter the Wu-Tang. For something a bit more recent, I really like Childish Gambino – because the internet.

Favourite all time though would have to be Gorillaz – Demon Days.

micos145
    Free Member

IMO obviously!

“Just as well I like noise then”

ooops…

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Today, it is Digital Ash In A Digital Urn by bright Eyes.

Changed my life maaaan.

anagallis_arvensis

Townes Van Zandt live at the old quarter

muggomagic

Micos no worries, I was just suggesting a few to listen to as I think even by Dre’s standards that’s a pretty average album.

moniex
    Free Member

Berlin – Lou reed

From before my time, but was introduced to it in my teens.

slackalice
    Free Member

Depends upon my mood and as Leftism has been mentioned, as has Physical Graffiti, I’ll plump for Delicate Sound of Thunder – Pink Floyd

colournoise

If it’s judged by being the album you go back to time and time again, then for me it’s The Holy Bible from The Manics. Ferocious, intelligent and unrelenting.

Other contenders. The The again, but I’d go for Infected. For purely nostalgic reasons The Sisters of Mercy and Floodland. To not be totally rooted in the past (although I guess a favourite album has to stay with you over a period of time) I’d also consider Distraction Pieces from Scroobius Pip.

doom_mountain

The Postal Service – Give Up
    Soundtracked my time at university and still gets played regularly now. Not one duff track on the whole album.

botanybay
    Free Member

Can always go back to Pesence by Led Zeppelin. It’s got the spook.

crapjumper
    Free Member

Pink floyd – dark side of the moon .

souldrummer
    Free Member

I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight – Richard and Linda Thompson.

I remember buying it just because I recognised some of the backing musicians on it and then being blown away by it. Great songs wonderful lyrics and great musicianship.

bruk

Difficult to remove nostalgia and need different tunes for different moods but keep coming back to this.

KLF The White Room

[video]http://youtu.be/CgvAjVQsfps[/video]

_tom_
    Free Member

“Nevermind” Nirvana, it’s just so good never gets old.

I always thought this was their weakest album. Bleach and In Utero are way better imo. So many good songs on those!

qwerty
    Free Member

Bomb The Bass & their Enter The Dragon is my current go to in the garage, before that it was my own Cypress Hill compilation Bong Hits, in the car it’s Amy MacDonald.

MSP

It was between the stone roses, and air – moon safari.

According to play count on itunes, moon safari wins.

RustySpanner

codybrennan
    Free Member

Hmm, SBH is right’ “Exile” is pretty hard to beat.

“Ziggy” by Bowie as well, of course.

I forgot to mention “Violator” by Depeche Mode.

angeldust
    Free Member

Faith no more – Angeldust. Obsessed over it as a teen, and nothing has come along to beat it.

benjishucksmith
    Free Member

Lostprophets – Start Something is still my favourite album. I just replace Ian Watkins with the other Ian Watkins (H from Steps)

federalski
    Free Member

Malcolm Middleton – A Brighter Beat

Probably listened to this more than anything else these last few years, suppose it must be my fave off of that…

Notable mention though for Jawbreaker – Etc

rob2
    Free Member

Some of my favourites on here: give up, the bends, stone roses.

At the minute I’m liking sophtware slump by grandaddy. Like radiohead vs postal service.

prawny

One of my favourite albums is Whatever and Ever Amen – Ben Folds Five. Which is odd because it’s got none of my favourite songs on, it’s a really good album as an album, like a good film.

I get the feeling a lot of albums are just a collection of songs these days. Drunken Lullabies by Flogging Molly is another good one.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Journeys By DJ: Coldcut – 70 Minutes Of Madness

Never tire of it

m6dwn
    Free Member

Blue Lines

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Bucks Fizz, Greatest Hits.

mightymule
    Free Member

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds – Let Love In.

CountZero

Some question! So many albums, across such an expanse of time…
    I guess the one that has never palled, that I go back to and play right through, is Paul Simon’s Hearts and Bones.
    Probably his finest work, almost criminally under-appreciated, with stunning production values, truly superb.
    There are others I could choose; Shawn Colvin’s A Few Small Repairs, Goldfrapp’s Felt Mountain, Portishead’s Dummy, King Crimson’s In The Court of the Crimson King and Arcade Fire’s Funeral could all be my greatest album, at any given time, each one has a valid and compelling reason, mainly because most of them completely opened my mind to a different type of music to what I’d been listening to before.

mogrim

yossarian – Member
    Selected ambient works – totally mind blowing, still 100% relevant today

Forgotten how good that one was!

geologist
    Free Member

A-ha the singles

every song a classic!

metalheart
    Free Member

One album, you got to be kidding, right?

Three is just so much. From Astral weeks, What’s Goin On, Greetings From LA, There’s a Riot Goin on,

To things like Tago Mago (Can) In a Silent Way (Miles) and Sextet/Six Marimbas (Reich).

To more modern stuff like Hell Among the Yearlings (Gillian Welch), Silur (Tarwater), Homogenic (Bjork) and White Chalk (PJ).

But if I absolutely had to I’d have to choose from Greatest Palace Music (Bonnie ‘Prince’ Billy, Sometimes I wish We Were An Eagle (Bill Callahan) and (if push comes to shove I guess at the moment it would have to be) Jukebox by Cat Power.

Why? God knows, partly because it has a sublime version of (Joni Mitchell’s) Blue and Metal Heart of course. But partly because I can remember the first time I heard it and that, to me, seems like better days….

bullheart
    Free Member

Air – Moon Safari.

An album that remains relevant to every aspect of my life. It’s indescribable…

aa
    Free Member

For me,

The Skinny Boys, Weightless.

Pure, stripped down rap. No fancy nonsense. Just a drum machine, scratching, beatbox and rapping.

also, Black Flag, Damaged. Intense, simple, pure.

maxtorque

I can’t pick a fav, but i come back time and time again to Blue Lines by Massive Attack:

ChrisL

My mind seems to make some complex distinction between albums that contain great songs and albums that are in some integrated manner great albums. There are many albums I love because of the songs they contain, but many fewer where I love the album as much as its songs.

One such album, Angel Dust, has been mentioned above. Another is Jim White’s Wrong-Eyed Jesus! but the one that springs to mind as my greatest album is Neon Golden, by The Notwist. As well as loving all the music on it there’s just something about it which makes me love it even more as a unified whole.

Plus, it’s on YouTube in it’s entirety, so any one of you can listen to it and wonder what on earth I’m talking about. 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukrk5yr3Dy4[/video]

divenwob
    Free Member

No Steel Panther?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Love for “Blue Lines” here, and I agree.

It saved my life once, did I ever tell you about that? I had a long term girlfriend who qualified and then couldn’t get work in Scotland. Nearest place of work was in Newcastle, so the long-distance romance began.

Went on for about 2 years, but I’d began to have doubts about her/some of her excuses for not turning up….I’d bring up the subject of our future and she’d always convince me that she saw it with me.

Anyway….one day, just as she’s due to set off back home to Newcastle, she handed me the copy of Blue Lines she’d borrowed from me a few weeks ago, on CD….except I owned it on cassette 🙁

Pennies dropped over the next 2 weeks, and some not very exhaustive digging found she was f*cking not one but TWO other guys!! Welcome to Dumpsville, population= you!

So, if you ended up married to a lunatic ginger Pediatric nurse from Saltcoats, who’ll remain nameless- hopefully no-one on here married her?- I hope she’s changed.

Whoever recommended “I want to see the bright lights tonight”- its an album I’ve always meant to check out, and you’re right, Spotify tells me after one listen that I’ll be listening to it from hereon in. I thank you.

jimification
    Free Member

Impossible task but someone said Physical Graffiti and don’t think I could argue with that.

chewkw
    Free Member

ABBA/Carpenter to rule them all!

😈

caffeineoldbean
    Free Member

Never thought much of it at the time but really enjoyed Keane-Hopes and Fears.
    Listened to it non stop during a trip around France with my eldest daughter back in 2006 she was 14 at the time. I dont get the chance to see her much as she lives in the States with her mum.
    That was the last time we were really close and she was still my little girl wanting to hold my hand and snuggle.
    This album has grown on me over the years and brings back such lovely memories for me I get a lump in my throat every time I listen to it.
    *I know! Keane huh wtf.*

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Subjective I know, but what is your greatest album and why?’ is closed to new replies.