Sub £350 road wheels?

Home Forum Bike Forum Sub £350 road wheels?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sub £350 road wheels?
  • stevious

They do look nice. Will they stand up to highland winter though?

Rode mine through the winter and the hubs are still nice and tight. I am/ was a bit of a lump as well and they are as true as the day they left the factory. I believe they come highly rated around STW with quite a few folks owning a pair.

trailmoggy

get yourself some built up by a local shop or wheelbuilder, you’ll never look back

stevious

The Pro Lite Luciano’s on my road bike may be goosed so looking to replace them with something else.

Not super-fussed about weight (as long as they’re not heavier than the Lucianos – 772g/1065g) but definitely want something that will be durable. I like riding my bike up hills, and ride it all year – I do occasional Sportives but no proper racing.

Are there any wheelsets I should avoid looking at? Is there a price-point below £350 that offers optimum VFM?

MrRide/Sokin/Novatech hubs off ebay 288g £60
    Stans Alpha off CRC with £10 off, 350g £75×2
    DT revolution spokes 24+28 * 4.4g = 288g, £0.45 each from rose + £5 shipping + £2 brass nipples

Total = £245 for £1250g wheels, or about 1200g with 20/24 spokes!

If you can’t build yourself then either learn or get an lbs to do it but expect to pay £25 per wheel + full RRP on the rims and spokes.

thomthumb

105 + open pro + good wheelbuilder.

Hand built wheels for £350 Id say. I got velocity aeroheads with hope pro3 hubs for £350 from just riding along. They seem decent, I cant get them to flex like my last wheels anyway. Weigh in just under 1600g I think so fairly light and should last for ages. I’ve heard the RS80’s can be a bit flexy.

steve_b77

I’ve got RS80’s and they’re superb

bm0p700f

I would also go with handbuilt. A customer came asking about the RS80’s and we chatted and he asked about handbuilt and we worked out a few different options. to start with the RC80 are 1530g but with skewers you can add 100g.

This has been already suggested, the venreable 32H 105 + open Pro is a good wheel set but built with Sapim race spokes DS rear and laser everywhere else (assuming that the OP is less than 85 kg kitted up) would be 1880g for the pair. With sapim race spokes front and both sides on the rear that weight would climnb to 1950g. Hardly light.

The rim is a good light one at 430g but changing the hub to Miche RC2 would drop 66g from either build. Using Ambrosia Zenith hub would drop at total of 146g over 105 hubs. 105 hubs ~630g and ~£65, miche rc2 564g and ~ £70, ambrosio zenith hubs 484g. All these weigths include skewers. So Ambrosio + sapim laser/race + opern pro would be 1800g total. The weight saving though is at the hub though but would only add £10 to the build.

The built that picks this customers ear up was with Stans Alpha 340 rims, 28H Miche RC2 (he liked the look of these hubs), sapim laser 3x front and sapim race DS 3x rear and spaim laser 3x NDS. This build would be 1600g including skewers. With Ambrosi zenith hubs you can shave another 80g of that but at the hub where it least useful.
    This guy is 10stone though. Price wise the same as a pair of RC80’s.

stevious

Thanks for the replies. Am going to speak to my LBS to see what he can do for me.

Are Hope Hoops worth looking at or is that just a sad MTBer thing to do?

whatnobeer

Hand built Alphas or similar is probably what I’ll go for for my next wheelset. Similar budget. Loving the Easton EA50SL’s I have at the moment though, circa 1600g, handbuilt and a nice semi aero profile.

bigdugsbaws

I would go handbuilts, RS80s have alloy nipples that will corrode on salty winter roads.

Are Hope Hoops worth looking at or is that just a sad MTBer thing to do?

Dunno, I like hope hubs but didnt want the hope hoops. I got a tax rebate so chose to spend about £50 extra and get a set of wheels that are 200g’s lighter.

stevious

Thanks bigdug – that’s exactly what I didn’t want to happen so you’ve avoided an expensive mistake.

bm0p700f

Oh that weightis with brass nipples to.

If the OP changes his mind after visting his LBS and looks to factory wheels please please look past the total weight of the wheels and think about the weight of the rim. Loosing weight at the rim, through a lighter rim, lighter tyres, lighter tubes and rim tape will be significantly more noticeable in the way the wheel/bike accelerates than any weight lost at the hub. Think about the ratio of rotational K.E and lateral K.E in a moving wheel.

Rorschach

My rs80’s are my winter wheels.They’re on their 2nd winter and have even done a few cx races!As long as you give them an occasional scrub and a bit of gt85 at the nipples they’ll be fine.
    The hope hoops,whilst super reliable are’nt particularly light.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sub £350 road wheels?’ is closed to new replies.