Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Sub-24hr Wales end-to-end in progress
  • hazeii
    Free Member

Kind of surprised to find this not posted on here (as far as I can see): got an email from Rob Lee (manager of Iron Horse Extreme) saying one his guys is out there right now, attempting to ride Wales N to S inside 24 hours. He’s been going about 12 hours (got to getting cold!); poking at the web site he’s throwing in black runs at CyB on the way too!

It’s live on the web (updates are a bit variable) here: http://tinyurl.com/cj7v6r. More about the rider, Dave Buchanan, at http://www.the7ds.com.

Nutter. But best of luck to him!

zokes
    Free Member

Black runs at CyB? Is he building them first too?

barca
    Free Member

The guy and his attempt got a mention at the start of the week Hazeii but only received two or three comments which was surprising. Oddly (or not for the way this place these days) a thread that made mention to Rob Lee had loads of comments and pretty much had a real go at the bloke. It seems the current majority clientele would prefer to chuck mud than ride in it or even talk about it.
    I read Dave Buchanan’s website (very interesting) and some of the endurance based tales knocking about that link in to the 7d’s, Rob Lee etc. and really enjoyed it all. I’ve been following Dave’s attempt today in between riding, kayaking, shopping and child minding and he looks to be going great guns. Keep it up Dave! It’s giving me great inspiration for my Sarn Helen ride (hopefully over three and a bit days which in comparison is rather poor) later this year.

hazeii
    Free Member

Just got a text with a pic of him drinking beer in Cardiff! (wonder if he carried that with him too?) 22:24:49, apparently.

pipedream
    Free Member

I’m suprised there has not been much response to this. It’s a pretty impressive effort. Pity i didn’t get down to the bay to see him arrive. Wasn’t expecting him so early.

Well Done Dave.

crazy-legs

Been following it via updates from Rob on Facebook, Dave did really well. Good route too, took in as much off-road as possible.

The next challenge is from Rob himself, riding each Red Route at all of the 7 Stanes AND riding between the venues (MTB for the centres, swap to road bike for the in-between bit), I think at the moment it’s just to set the fastest possible time rather than actually aiming for a sub 24 or whatever.

Later in the year Rob is aiming to beat his own South Downs Way Double record as well.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Later in the year Rob is aiming to beat his own South Downs Way Double record as well.

Rob doesn’t hold the “record” for the SDD.

alexathome
    Free Member

i think that “record” if you can call someone riding a bike around an obscure part of the British lanscape is held by Mike Cotty if my memory serves – he’s dead fast on a road bike too. I don’t think Norris Mcwerta will be sweating too much with all this record breaking.

crazy-legs

Hence why I said his own record for the SDD. I should probably have said “his personal best” or something to avoid confusion.
    “The record” being fastest unsupported double rather than a supported effort or singlespeed or any of the other myriad possible ways of doing it…

spinner
    Free Member

Hence why I said his own record for the SDD. I should probably have said “his personal best” or something to avoid confusion.
    “The record” being fastest unsupported double rather than a supported effort or singlespeed or any of the other myriad possible ways of doing it…

Mike Cotty rode the SDD faster than Rob. Outright fastest time and unsupported just like Rob Lee did.

But lets be honest… Who really cares who can ride a random trail known only to those in the South of England fastest? It is pointless.

Rob is only doing these “challenges” because he can no longer compete in races.

miketually
    Free Member

Somehow missed this attempt. Well done to the guy!

RobLee
    Free Member

But lets be honest… Who really cares who can ride a random trail known only to those in the South of England fastest? It is pointless.

Rob is only doing these “challenges” because he can no longer compete in races.

What gives Spinner?

Life is too short to be so negative. Maybe you don’t like me, or don’t like someone else doing something they love, or being in the media, or whatever…

get over it dude, do something positive, or if you can’t do that just go ride and be happy.

To answer the question LOTS of people care which is why my email box had over 700 messages in it the day after I rode that random trail in the South and why we have 8000+ hits on the tracker page in the last few hours.

I won’t even lower myself to your last comment, my legs will do the talking on that count mate

Rob

Ambrose

Superb result.

twinklydave

fair play to him, that’s a big ol’ ride.

in the same vein; fair play to the two women out riding for the first time who i met earlier today, they’d done about 20 miles and were shattered but absolutely made up with themselves

in fact fair play to anyone who pushes themselves. pushing your limits is awesome!

hairy_hippy
    Free Member

Blimey. That was a mission. I was only tagging along behind Dave in a car, trying to get a few photos, and I’m knackered. 22hrs for North to south Wales, mostly offroad, is an amazing achievement. I did almost the same route with my wife last year and it took us a week.. He was going so strong we had trouble overtaking him often enough to get any decent pictures.

That said, we managed to get a few. Here’s Dave enjoying the ClimaX trail earlier….after which he continued his ride home to Cardiff..

Dave Buchanan, sweary and Scottish, but pretty f*cking quick..

miketually
    Free Member

in fact fair play to anyone who pushes themselves. pushing your limits is awesome!

Pushing yourself is much better than picking fault on teh internets.

TheSanityAssassin

North to South?

Pffft – all downhill innit… 😉

blanche
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

I’m Dave Buchanan, and I’m feeling quite proud of myself at the moment.

The ride was a lot of fun, but I’m tired now.

Every few hours I would see Hippy, the photographer, as I rode past. Jo, My Mrs was there too, being the driver.

Jo, in hindsight, seems to have found it hard to cope with my mindset at the time, but I was in the “zone” or “Flow” for the whole time. She was shouting things at me as I passed, but I was tuned in somewhere else and didn’t hear them.

At one point I thought, “Who are those idiots, stopped on a lane and waving at me at this time of the morning? They are almost in my way. Bog off!”

It was them, and I didn’t click until after I had passed them. Oops.

Now sat in bed, eating toast and anything else I fancy.

Thank goodness, for cheese and Jaffa Cakes. 🙂

Thanks for the positive comments too, by the way.

Check my blog out in a couple Of days, if you like. It’ll have a fullish report.

http://www.davebuchanan.co.uk
    http://www.the7ds.com

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

Well done.

We’re thinking of doing North – South next year, but over 4 days – not one.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Sub-24hr Wales end-to-end in progress’ is closed to new replies.