Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sub £100 projector that isn’t rubbish?
  • oldtennisshoes

Has anyone bought a sub £100 project or that isn’t complete rubbish?
    There are loads out there. I’m looking at getting something to take on holiday to use for watching films from a laptop and maybe plug the xbox into for the boy.
    Any suggestions?
    Links would be great too.

Cougar

Does such a thing exist? I’ve paid more than twice that just for a bulb for the ones at work.

stayhigh

Someone I work with has just got a GooDee projector from Amazon which is currently £85. Their first impressions are fairly good, seems to throw a good picture on the wall which is what they were after. I’m considering getting on too for watching movies indoors as I don’t have a TV it would make a good alternative to my 15″ laptop on the coffee table! The amazon reviews for this one are pretty good too although appreciate that they are pretty subjective.

CLICKY CLICK

retro83
    Free Member

Cougar
    Subscriber

Does such a thing exist? I’ve paid more than twice that just for a bulb for the ones at work.

Yes they exist. As with a lot of the cheap stuff on amazon/ebay the sellers can be a bit economical with the truth.

E.g. my colleague bought one for an outside film showing we had at work. Said “REAL 1080P” on the listing, what the seller meant was it will accept 1080P but the actual output is 640×480.

Also it was supposed to be 10,000 lumens or something, i’d say it was closer to one of the decent magicshine lights so more like 1000. It was bright enough to watch the movie but nowhere near a proper projector, at all.

rone

That’s just not going to happen.

Anything below about 400-500 will not be that great. Terrible blacks, colour accuracy and noise. Reliability .. on and on.

Maybe consider 2nd hand benq 1070 or similar based on your environment.

You might get a data projector that is bright and noisy but is a long way from what you could have.

I do appreciate people haven’t got bottomless pits of money. But you get what you pay for.

rone

CLICKY CLICK

It’s native resolution is 1280×720

It’s lower resolution than your phone but projected on a wall.

But more importantly quality of the light path will be appalling.

jimdubleyou

Yeah, been looking at these – almost all of them are less than 720 resolution.

Even the £450 Anker Nebula Capsule Max is a 720 resolution. TBH, not sure I can be bothered…

toby1

I was given one as a present earlier in the year, the Vamvo one from Amazon, I’ve yet to actually try and use it though, feedback looks pretty good.

oldtennisshoes

To close the loop on this, I bought this for £64

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WCSB5G1

I have an apeman wildlife camera which I am pleased with, so was intrigued.
    It works, the fan is a bit noisy and the colours are a bit washed out, but for the boys to play xbox on on holiday, it should be OK. And if it turns out to be really rubbish, I’ll just return it when we get back.

GeForceJunky

I’ve got a spare Optima HD200X I should really get round to selling. Works fine, about halfway through its second bulb, I upgraded to 4k. £60 collected from GL11 if you’re anywhere near.

grum
    Free Member

I had one of those ^^^^ the picture was really quite impressive I thought. I assume my ex still has it!

twonks

If anybody is looking for a great 1080P projector, that HD200X is an absolute steal.

We still use ours on a 93″ screen and it looks superb, even against a 65″ Panasonic OLED screen behind it (not on together of course)

The image is ultimately better on the TV but for sheer impact and cinema feel the projector takes it every time.

tpbiker
    Free Member

GeForce, pm’d you about that projector

Ta

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sub £100 projector that isn’t rubbish?’ is closed to new replies.