Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)
  • Style tips for the trails
  • kukonaya
    Free Member

Evening all,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope I’m posting this in the right place.

I am interested to know if anyone has any style tips for looking better on the trail. I understand that style is very subjective and we all try to portray oursleves differently – what might seem cool to one person might seem very uncool to another.

As such, I will provide some information here so that fellow forumites can get a better idea of my style – 1)some information about myself that may give you an idea of my style, 2)what I currently do on the trail to look cool or to live out my style. Then I hope some might have some tips 🙂

1) Some information about me:
    – Graphic designer
    – IQ in 99th percentile
    – PC User (Windows)
    – Hate geeky T-shirts
    – Will never wear Converse sneaks
    – Drive VW Polo

2) Current trail style

– Bike: Niner ROS9 with full XTR
    – Cloathing: Never ever wear lycra in a way other people can see it. When on trail I wear normal baggy shorts with road bike cycling shorts underneath. Plus t-shirt, I almost always wear plain colour t-shirts, this is key to my personal style. I have about 20 t-shirts all are only one solid colour and absolutley no markings or brands on them. I do not have clipless pedals, I like to just ride with comfortable Nike Free Run shoes (black,white soles – love these shoes).
    – Protective gear: I dont ride fast and I think a key to my current style is that i do not wear any protective gear aside from helmet – this gives a nice care-free, free-spirited image.
    – Other: I try to pull off all decals from Bike and Bike parts, but it is very important to realise one thing here – I do this simply because I think that the decals on bike parts is horrendous and made to appeal for the general man with IQ around 110. Most people will like these things, since I am a designer I hate these.

Well there is so much more that I can tell you all about myself but it will take forever lol 😀

Anyways, so back to my question then:

Any style tips that you have perhaps seen on the trail that made you think ‘Damn that dude looks cool’, etc…?

Perhaps something like alternative approaches to a Camelbak that looks more manly, or maybe riding without socks (not tried this but might day after tomorrow), or somthing similar? Just anything you can think of that might make one look cooler on the trails!!

Thanks for reading this and happy biking all! 8)

loddrik
    Free Member

Yaawwwwnnnnnnnn….

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks for reading this and happy biking all!

This is the only bit I read, I feel underserving of your thanks 🙁

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bikerfox is among us!

mjsmke

Graphic designer
    – IQ in 99th percentile
    PC User (Windows)
    – Hate geeky T-shirts
    – Drive VW Polo

Don’t spend any money on the bike and buy a Mac.

RealMan
    Free Member

Has pussywillow learnt to type?

Mintman
    Free Member

I strategically place a rolled up inner tube down the front of my Lycra so that all the ladies assume my lack of trail skills are adequately compensated by my tripod-esque physique.

crikey
    Free Member

1) Some information about me:
    – Graphic designer
    – IQ in 99th percentile
    – PC User (Windows)
    – Hate geeky T-shirts
    – Drive VW Polo
    – I have another log in

I fix for you, troll boy.

singlespeedstu

Style tips here.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyTyjQbvylg[/video]

joat

The coolest people don’t know or care that they’re cool.
    I don’t think or care that I’m cool.
    I think I’ll always be cooler than you therefore. 🙄

kukonaya
    Free Member

singlespeedstu – thanks for posting that was funny! 🙂

I am thinking that maybe many people will not quite understand this post and what I meant. Maybe I should remove it from the forum? Is that possible?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Dear God,

What a waste of a thread

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I never realised it was a fashion parade!

I do however love ripping past bike riders who simply look like they have the best cloths, best bike etc. dressed on my old gear from Decathlon and my not so manly Camelbak on my old hardtail.

Drac

Maybe I should remove it from the forum? Is that possible?

Nope you have 15 minutes to edit a post after that you can’t do anything, we also tend not to delete posts unless they are against forum rules.

Welcome to the forum.

kukonaya
    Free Member

Nope you have 15 minutes to edit a post after that you can’t do anything, we also tend not to delete posts unless they are against forum rules.

Welcome to the forum.

thank you, Drac. I might have structured my question poorly. It seems like most folk did not quite understand what I meant here.

I will just leave it alone and hope it falls away 🙂

vickypea
    Free Member

Hee hee! 😆

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Waste of internets.

adamhicks
    Free Member

Skids every corner = very cool.

househusband
    Free Member

So what’s your usual forum name then, kukonaya..?

zilog6128

I will just leave it alone and hope it falls away

Somehow I think this is the exact opposite of what you want 🙂

Trollollollollollol!

And just in case serious, you sound about as interesting as dishwater, so cool aint gonna happen – and seriously, when did you ever see a mountainbiker looking cool? We all look a bit daft to the rest of the world!

andyrm
    Free Member

Everyone knows you need a Mark Weir style moustache to look cool on the trails.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

99th percentile???? …. Yeh righto!

Not a hugely intelligent post is it?

yunki
    Free Member

If you’re trying to achieve the STW look, this should help a little bit maybe..?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flk_dVHJWnk[/video]

woody2000

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oavMtUWDBTM[/video]

kukonaya
    Free Member

Well, it has certainly become clear to me that I have structured my question poorly and I would love to remove/alter some pieces if I could. 🙁

I will try my best to clear a few things up.

1) My image is very important to me. I like to plan my wardrobe and there is a certain style of clothing and accessories I like.
    I do not see how this is strange?
    People care about what their bikes look like and ask for advice on here re the color of grip tape, what color spray job would look best, etc…
    But when I ask for advice regarding clothing and accessories on the trail I am suddenly a troll 🙁

2) I hope I can be a valuable member of this forum. I have never been a member of any other bike forum and I have only been mountain biking for about 6 months now.
    I wanted to ask my question on this forum in particular because I realise that it is predominantly british and it is no secret that the British and most other continental western europeans are far more clued in when it comes to style and appearance than perhaps say American riders. Again, not trying to hurt anyone’s feelings but that is my opinion. There are exceptions of course.

3) Re my IQ. Fair enough that was stupid and I should not have put that in my post. I am no genius, but I am fairly intelligent. The reason I put that in there was because I genuinely felt that its an important factor in what style people like to portray. I work in marketing, and it is no secret that as IQ lowers, the affection towards big branded decals and graphics will increase. That might sound arrogant to sum but this is really marketing basics and most on here wouldknow what I am talking about 🙂 May I also add that if I was a Brit, my IQ would not be in the 99th percentile at all. My country’s IQ avg is around 87 I believe. I am an ugly dude, that’s for sure. I have a horrible face and I accept it. I’m fairly smart though 🙂

4) Sometimes I see people on the trails and something about them just looks good. Like maybe the shirt/trousers combo. Or a cool camelbak alternative. Or a nice retro helmet, etc..

Anyways, I do feel like a bt of a mug now but whatcha gonna do!? 😳

Junkyard
    Free Member

this is quite bold and fetching

Please be Fred

Please be Fred

Please be Fred

Please be Fred

somafunk

You’re good……………go-on…post a pic of yourself so we can all laugh offer advice, I dare you…in fact i double dare you.

vicksplace

Pro-grade trolling right there. Hats off. 🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Great thread 😀

JoeG
    Free Member

OP – just emulate this guy

seavers
    Free Member

I am an ugly dude, that’s for sure. I have a horrible face and I accept it

You mean like someone tried to put out a forest fire with a screw driver?

drofluf
    Free Member

I will just leave it alone and hope it falls away

I think the chances of that happening are very slim.

godzilla
    Free Member

I can sell you a big bag of Steeze, £20 PPG ok?
    Address in profile.

Pigface
    Free Member

Daaarrrlllliiinnnggggggggggg you look marvelous, work it girlfriend.

Candodavid
    Free Member

If you really wanted to know what is “cool” you would never ask on here, we’re all too old to care.
    Go buy yourself an MBR or MBUK, that where all the “cool cats” hang out

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

HEY! I’m not to old to care, I just don’t care!

Candodavid
    Free Member

This could be troll thread of the year

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 105 total)

The topic ‘Style tips for the trails’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts